997 turbo pdk vs zr1

q8ylambo

What was up with the second race? Did they agree to a head start or something? I fast forwarded though all the talking.

What was up with the second race? Did they agree to a head start or something? I fast forwarded though all the talking.

they gave the zr1 a head start

Dont know what Gustav is talking about "neither car pulled".....PDK is sick sick sick and I wouldnt want to face one at a stop light or slow highway roll in a ZR1/560-4/Viper/Ferrari 458 etc.

That being said both races showed the ZR1 to be pulling on the PDK up top. Not a huge pull but a slow steady pull. 1st race the ZR1 started pulling the PDK back. 2nd race the ZR1 got the hit and pulled a few car lengths....Just cant beat these dual clutch trannies. Pure performancewise they are vastly superior to manual shift[though I love manual to death]....It should be an option on every sportscar...Its just that good. I still cant believe the Porsche ran with the ZR1 "up top". Nasty :icon_pray: ...Teh GT2 RS is gonna muyda the ZR1.

Want to see a modded vs. Modded race. More specifically a 2010+ ZR1 with launch control.

It's still crazy to me that a 500hp Porsche is keeping up with/beating a 620hp ZR1.

An honest review of that race goes like this:

First race:

The ZR1 was spinning, and you can hear it. He also hit the rev-limiter, and you can hear it. The ZR1 started to reel in the pdk but just didn't have enough to pass it.

Second race:

The ZR1's tires were warm and traction wasn't an issue. The ZR1 pulled pretty good (watch the gap between the two cars as they both took off)

my opinion:

PDK is FAST, and I thought once the ZR1 would start pulling away, it would walk away. It certainly didn't! PDK is Porshce Donkey Kong... :icon_mrgreen:

Want to see a modded vs. Modded race. More specifically a 2010+ ZR1 with launch control.

It's still crazy to me that a 500hp Porsche is keeping up with/beating a 620hp ZR1.

PDK is more of a 550+ HP car. It puts down 480 awhp. But it's not so much the power of the car that makes it potent, it's that nasty trans!!

An honest review of that race goes like this:

First race:

The ZR1 was spinning, and you can hear it. He also hit the rev-limiter, and you can hear it. The ZR1 started to reel in the pdk but just didn't have enough to pass it.

Second race:

The ZR1's tires were warm and traction wasn't an issue. The ZR1 pulled pretty good (watch the gap between the two cars as they both took off)

my opinion:

PDK is FAST, and I thought once the ZR1 would start pulling away, it would walk away. It certainly didn't! PDK is Porshce Donkey Kong... :icon_mrgreen:

Fadi, you forgot in to list the head start the Turbo gave the ZR1 in the Second race. Thats a roll race no no, especially when the camera is rolling.

Honestly, I am shocked at how well the Turbo did above 160...I would love to see a 2010 ZR1 with launch control against the 2010 Turbo PDK from a dead stop to 160mph. That would be nice! I wish someone had an abandoned airport around here we could use?!?!

I wish someone had an abandoned airport around here we could use?!?!

Patience, grass hopper. Patience. :eusa_dance:

PDK is more of a 550+ HP car. It puts down 480 awhp. But it's not so much the power of the car that makes it potent, it's that nasty trans!!

So true...I saw a PDK dyno at 490whp so no way its making only 500 at the crank.

Patience, grass hopper. Patience. :eusa_dance:

:jerry:

Fadi, you forgot in to list the head start the Turbo gave the ZR1 in the Second race. Thats a roll race no no, especially when the camera is rolling.

Honestly, I am shocked at how well the Turbo did above 160...I would love to see a 2010 ZR1 with launch control against the 2010 Turbo PDK from a dead stop to 160mph. That would be nice! I wish someone had an abandoned airport around here we could use?!?!

Les, disregard the head start the ZR1 got. Just focus on what happens when they both take off. When they both took off and the ZR1 did not have any traction issues, it seems like the ZR1 put about 3 cars on the PDK. This is to be expected though given the power to weight ratio. What wasn't to be expeted is how well the PDK can hang with the vet. That is very, very impressive.

Les, disregard the head start the ZR1 got. Just focus on what happens when they both take off. When they both took off and the ZR1 did not have any traction issues, it seems like the ZR1 put about 3 cars on the PDK. This is to be expected though given the power to weight ratio. What wasn't to be expeted is how well the PDK can hang with the vet. That is very, very impressive.

I hear you. I was shocked as well how well the PDK did. I still would have liked to see a same hit type race...when some one is ahead to start its never good. It is realy surprising when we see 2 cars racing with different horspower and weight, being close in straight line performance. Especialy that the Porsche 997.2 Turbo is heavier by 192 lb's, has 138 hp less power and is down on torque by 88 lb ft. Ofcourse we know the Porsche numbers are an under estimate but never the less I guess that is why I love my PDK so much!

2010 ZR1 -

Power : 638 HP SAE

Torque: 604 ft lb

Curb weight (lbs) 3,324

Power-to-weight ratio = 5.210 lb per hp

2010 997.2 Turbo -

Power : 500 HP SAE

Torque: 516 ft lb

Curb weight (lbs) 3,461(manual transmission), 3516 (PDK Transmission)

Power-to-weight ratio = 6.922 lb per hp (Manual), 7.032 lb per hp (PDK)

I hear you. I was shocked as well how well the PDK did. I still would have liked to see a same hit type race...when some one is ahead to start its never good. It is realy surprising when we see 2 cars racing with different horspower and weight, being close in straight line performance. Especialy that the Porsche 997.2 Turbo is heavier by 192 lb's, has 138 hp less power and is down on torque by 88 lb ft. Ofcourse we know the Porsche numbers are an under estimate but never the less I guess that is why I love my PDK so much!

2010 ZR1 -

Power : 638 HP SAE

Torque: 604 ft lb

Curb weight (lbs) 3,324

Power-to-weight ratio = 5.210 lb per hp

2010 997.2 Turbo -

Power : 500 HP SAE

Torque: 516 ft lb

Curb weight (lbs) 3,461(manual transmission), 3516 (PDK Transmission)

Power-to-weight ratio = 6.922 lb per hp (Manual), 7.032 lb per hp (PDK)

Wow.. That really puts in perspective how insane the PDK tranny is. On paper there is no way the almost 200lb heavier, less powerful Porsche should be in the same zip code as the ZR1. Yet it is. Incredible tranny.

Wow.. That really puts in perspective how insane the PDK tranny is. On paper there is no way the almost 200lb heavier, less powerful Porsche should be in the same zip code as the ZR1. Yet it is. Incredible tranny.

But the PDK doesn't have the advertised 500 HP. We are well aware that the PDK is more like a 550 HP car. Knowing that...

PDK:

3516 / 550 = 6.39 lbs / hp

ZR1:

3350 / 638 = 5.2 lsb / hp

Now, take the advantage of the PDK trans into perspective, and it all makes sense that the ZR1 seems to be about 3 cars ahead to ~160 mph.

I am not in any way discrediting the PDK, in fact, I am amazed at how well it did. But we can't kid ourt selves and say the ZR1 barely won especially given the stipulations of race 1 and 2, and their outcomes.

But the PDK doesn't have the advertised 500 HP. We are well aware that the PDK is more like a 550 HP car. Knowing that...

PDK:

3516 / 550 = 6.39 lbs / hp

ZR1:

3350 / 638 = 5.2 lsb / hp

Now, take the advantage of the PDK trans into perspective, and it all makes sense that the ZR1 seems to be about 3 cars ahead to ~160 mph.

I am not in any way discrediting the PDK, in fact, I am amazed at how well it did. But we can't kid ourt selves and say the ZR1 barely won especially given the stipulations of race 1 and 2, and their outcomes.

For sure Fadi. Thanks for doing the calculations. I was going to to do this today and post.

I love the PDK.. You can keep the ZR1

:iamwithstupid:

but there was a video of a lightly tuned Plastic mess-06 going neck and neck with the PDK. I have a feeling the ZR1 could have done better.