997 turbo pdk vs zr1

q8ylambo

I love the PDK.. You can keep the ZR1

I am on the same page as you and most everyone else on here. I'd also rather have a PDK than a ZR1. But facts are facts, and they shouldn't be disputed based on the more favorable car.

I am on the same page as you and most everyone else on here. I'd also rather have a PDK than a ZR1. But facts are facts, and they shouldn't be disputed based on the more favorable car.

I do believe the ZR1 is the faster of the 2 from a roll.

But the PDK doesn't have the advertised 500 HP. We are well aware that the PDK is more like a 550 HP car. Knowing that...

PDK:

3516 / 550 = 6.39 lbs / hp

ZR1:

3350 / 638 = 5.2 lsb / hp

Now, take the advantage of the PDK trans into perspective, and it all makes sense that the ZR1 seems to be about 3 cars ahead to ~160 mph.

I am not in any way discrediting the PDK, in fact, I am amazed at how well it did. But we can't kid ourt selves and say the ZR1 barely won especially given the stipulations of race 1 and 2, and their outcomes.

I think you took my post wrong. Trust me Im not kidding myself :icon_mrgreen: If you notice my 1st post I fully said the ZR1 is clearly the faster car based on both runs.

My second post was in responce to your initial numbers. Regardless of how the numbers crunch that PDK tranny is responsible for the Porsche staying in the same zip code as the ZR1 hence my props to the Porsche tranny. Try a 6 speed Porsche 911 997.2 and see if it gets anywhere near the ZR1's butt.

A PDK-ish tranny in the ZR1 would be ridiculous.

turbo pdk is that fast ? great, my turbo S is coming late july :)

ps. I am surprised you are so in love with a PDK which is like.... usual dual-clutch transmission, the same technology is now even on Volkswagen golf lol, probably with the same or similar shift times

:iamwithstupid:

They need to find a good way to package it though. Some nice paddles, and a new gear selector would be nice. A dual clutch ZR1 with PDK/GTR technology would be unstoppable. 638hp and just about the same torque going through a real tranny would be crazy. Now if they could manage to do that coupled with a better interior, I think the earth would spin off its axis.

And as a stab at Porsche, they could call it the ZR1-RS (Rallye Sport). :icon_thumleft:

I love the porsche but someone needs to teach that POS driver how to shift fast. He is super slow. Props to the Porsche! I cant wait to see what they will do with a good tune.

I think you took my post wrong. Trust me Im not kidding myself :icon_mrgreen: If you notice my 1st post I fully said the ZR1 is clearly the faster car based on both runs.

My second post was in responce to your initial numbers. Regardless of how the numbers crunch that PDK tranny is responsible for the Porsche staying in the same zip code as the ZR1 hence my props to the Porsche tranny. Try a 6 speed Porsche 911 997.2 and see if it gets anywhere near the ZR1's butt.

I wasn't directing my "kid your self" post right at you. I was saying in general. I agree with everything you said.. :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid:

They need to find a good way to package it though. Some nice paddles, and a new gear selector would be nice. A dual clutch ZR1 with PDK/GTR technology would be unstoppable. 638hp and just about the same torque going through a real tranny would be crazy. Now if they could manage to do that coupled with a better interior, I think the earth would spin off its axis.

And as a stab at Porsche, they could call it the ZR1-RS (Rallye Sport). :icon_thumleft:

:iamwithstupid:I like the way you think... A ZR1-RS would be epic.

Kisco no prob :icon_thumleft:

Was just looking at C&D Or Motor Trend which has the ZR1, 997.2TT (6-speed manual), and GTR on the cover. The manual 997.2 did high 11's @121.8 mph. It seems near impossible to me that simply swapping the transmission will pick up 9mph trap speed in the quarter mile. Same day same track, the ZR1 did 11.5 @ 128.7 mph. The ZR1 also beat both cars around the track, and they still gave the winning title to the Porsche. I thought these magazines were supposed to be rating performance? The only thing the ZR1 lost was 0-60 by .2 seconds to the GTR, and interior quality rating, steering feel, and braking distance To the GTR-Porsche was third in this (which those carbon brakes really need to get worked on in the ZR1 to bite).

I've doe a lot of reading and research on the ZR1 cause i was thinking about buying one. I would put money down that from a roll at 60mph onwards, the ZR1 is faster than the 997. If you are talking about standing starts (which almost never happen in real life) its closer because of the 997's 4wd and the Zr1 has a very hard time with traction at low speeds.

Where the magazines are rating the 997 higher is because the ZR1 is a handful to drive. I have read owners complaining about the car being unstable on roads that are less than perfectly smooth. The cars are really apples and oranges and are totally different.

I've doe a lot of reading and research on the ZR1 cause i was thinking about buying one. I would put money down that from a roll at 60mph onwards, the ZR1 is faster than the 997. If you are talking about standing starts (which almost never happen in real life) its closer because of the 997's 4wd and the Zr1 has a very hard time with traction at low speeds.

Where the magazines are rating the 997 higher is because the ZR1 is a handful to drive. I have read owners complaining about the car being unstable on roads that are less than perfectly smooth. The cars are really apples and oranges and are totally different.

Im just in shock that you can read!

Was just looking at C&D Or Motor Trend which has the ZR1, 997.2TT (6-speed manual), and GTR on the cover. The manual 997.2 did high 11's @121.8 mph. It seems near impossible to me that simply swapping the transmission will pick up 9mph trap speed in the quarter mile. Same day same track, the ZR1 did 11.5 @ 128.7 mph. The ZR1 also beat both cars around the track, and they still gave the winning title to the Porsche. I thought these magazines were supposed to be rating performance? The only thing the ZR1 lost was 0-60 by .2 seconds to the GTR, and interior quality rating, steering feel, and braking distance To the GTR-Porsche was third in this (which those carbon brakes really need to get worked on in the ZR1 to bite).

They explained at the end of that article that while the porsche didnt win outright in any of the catagories really, it did everything across the board so well that it was the overall best.....

Yeah, but we sure as shit play better football than Ohio State!!!

:eusa_think: Yeah, see, Ohio State finsihed #5, USC finsihed #22.

So if you could go ahead and, uh, not talk about the University of Spoiled Children, that'd be great. Thanks. :thefinger:

I seem to remember beating the holy hell out of your bums 2 years ago, then beating you at your famed shitshoe. :eusa_dance:

You lost! Both games! End of story.

So I don't want to hear dogshit from you.

Also, the only National Championship you have won was on a bullshit call.

Now, fans, back to the ZR1 argument!!!

I seem to remember beating the holy hell out of your bums 2 years ago, then beating you at your famed shitshoe. :eusa_dance:

You lost! Both games! End of story.

So I don't want to hear dogshit from you.

Also, the only National Championship you have won was on a bullshit call.

Now, fans, back to the ZR1 argument!!!

:eusa_naughty: Back to school for you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division...in-loss_records

OSU #5 all-time in wins, USC #10.

And the top 2 schools (Notre Dame & Michigan) don't even play football anymore so it won't be long before OSU tops that list.

NOW, back on topic! :)

Exactly as I thought imho. Manual is much slower than the PDK. The manual cant reproduce the acceleration of the PDK. BTW Im thinking that at a preped track the 997.2 will be closer to 125 mph instead of that 121mph.

Pretty similar to a seasoned power shifter in a manual. ZR1's have hit 10.7@134mph bonestock in the hands of some of these 6 speed gurus. Thats 6 mph faster than the 128mph the mags and average 1/4 milers seem to be getting out of the ZR1. So why cant a computer controled PDK that keeps the car in the powerband, plus shifts nigh instantly thus never stops accelerating, cause the car to pick up 8 mph?

They explained at the end of that article that while the porsche didnt win outright in any of the catagories really, it did everything across the board so well that it was the overall best.....

Now this is what I have an issue with. Sure the 997TT may be a great DD, be a great feeling car, have a great interior, and be very fast. If they were comparing build quality, any new Porsche beats any chebby in the same class. If you are comparing cars in a performance test, you have to rate the cars based on performance.

They should rate performance first and foremost. If the other cars lose, they can't win overall, bur can get honorable mention for the other categories.

Also, I prefer the 997 to the ZR1, except the factory wheels gotta go.

would it be possible to strip out a 997TT PDK to the same weight as the new GT2RS?

You could loose probably 200 plus pounds but the new RS has alot of Carbon Panels that the Turbo does not have. I bet you could get a Turbo PDK down to 3300 pounds with alot of work.

Manufacturers are finding amazing efficiencies from turbo cars with dual clutch trannies. Look at what the gtr and porsches are able to do. Turbo cars love to not come off of boost. Dual clutch is a solid 5 times faster than an excellent power shift and the boost never dips. That's why the turbo tip was so fast even through the inefficient slush box.