Inception...

matthend

So, who has seen it? What did you think? I saw it yesterday and was very impressed! Not gointg to bring up the plot yet, dont want to spoil it, but WOW

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inception was really good. But you can't really compare it to Avatar. Totally different type of movie.

Avatar wasn't thought provoking at all.

Inception is more along the line of the Matrix.

Guest SP-superJay

Inception is indeed the best movie of the year. Saw it in IMAX on Saturday, and it reminds me of The Matrix (1st one) in the fact that it makes you wonder, and exceeds what the brain tends to think. A++++ movie, a definite must see, and if you can watch it in IMAX!

Great movie. As someone who sees ALOT of movies. It's in the top ten movies ever for sure(for me at keast) and I think probably in the running for top 5. How bout that ending...

I think it will be in my top 5 ever also, but i need to see it again to confirm. Got to love movies that are better the second time watching them.

Great movie. As someone who sees ALOT of movies. It's in the top ten movies ever for sure(for me at keast) and I think probably in the running for top 5. How bout that ending...

:iamwithstupid:

I am very critical when it comes to movies, but this is probably going to end up on my top 5. there were a handful of things about it that bothered me, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone that has not seen it. but the ending was perfect!

Good movie for the most part. Typically Nolan, which in my mind is defined by shallow characters you don't get to emotionally attach to as you do in really brilliant films, surrounded by beautifully shot locations with great overall pacing.

Definitely not a Top 5 or Top 20 even on any "All Time" list, sorry guys. It's technically proficient and has all the right pieces but isn't anywhere near developed enough at a human feeling level to compare to the greats...

Some quick thoughts:

-DiCaprio was DiCaprio, meaning we've seen nearly this same performance from him in Shutter Island and a few others he's done lately...Starting to get a bit Tom Cruise or Will Smith here (though obviously with a deeper range) where every character he plays is similar.

-Music was sharp, but overbearing. I felt like Nolan was constantly telling me when something important was happening and to PAY ATTENTION! when it wasn't needed by intelligent viewers in key scenes.

-Final composite scene in which Nolan wraps up three major timelines simutaneously was extremely well done technically with very creative editing, but was too long in time. Could have used an edit or two to maintain audience anxiety, which faded as the sequence stretched on.

-"Juno" character playing amateur psychologist as a young college architect for DiCaprio's character was laughable in concept, though Ellen Page does give a strong performance viewers will enjoy.

-Ending was contrived and cliche, as soon as DiCaprio's character took the plot device out of his pocket for the final scene I knew exactly how the end shot to black would finish. Wish they'd gone another more creative direction here.

-At the end of the movie you don't really yearn to follow any of these people to a sequel, you aren't concerned with their futures much at all...but you will dwell on the incredible ambiance of the Watanabe-character's Japanese meeting room, the amazing bending-Paris dream sequence, the bleak "limbo" construct, and the assault on the snow fortress. You'll also be thinking about your own subconcious a lot, wondering what your own locked room of fears would contain...

I'd call this the best of year for sure, but that's not saying much as this year has been really substandard and awful to date.

B to B+.

Guest Rob Burgundy

I described this movie as a nicely wrapped christmas present...I loved every second of the movie but couldnt help thinking GOD I hope they dont fcuk up the ending...I hope all this isnt for one big let down,they way the movie came together in the last 20 minutes and with the end to top it off leaving the whole audience going "NO WAY" was the cherry on top for me!

10/10

Good movie for the most part. Typically Nolan, which in my mind is defined by shallow characters you don't get to emotionally attach to as you do in really brilliant films, surrounded by beautifully shot locations with great overall pacing.

Definitely not a Top 5 or Top 20 even on any "All Time" list, sorry guys. It's technically proficient and has all the right pieces but isn't anywhere near developed enough at a human feeling level to compare to the greats...

Some quick thoughts:

-DiCaprio was DiCaprio, meaning we've seen nearly this same performance from him in Shutter Island and a few others he's done lately...Starting to get a bit Tom Cruise or Will Smith here (though obviously with a deeper range) where every character he plays is similar.

-Music was sharp, but overbearing. I felt like Nolan was constantly telling me when something important was happening and to PAY ATTENTION! when it wasn't needed by intelligent viewers in key scenes.

-Final composite scene in which Nolan wraps up three major timelines simutaneously was extremely well done technically with very creative editing, but was too long in time. Could have used an edit or two to maintain audience anxiety, which faded as the sequence stretched on.

-"Juno" character playing amateur psychologist as a young college architect for DiCaprio's character was laughable in concept, though Ellen Page does give a strong performance viewers will enjoy.

-Ending was contrived and cliche, as soon as DiCaprio's character took the plot device out of his pocket for the final scene I knew exactly how the end shot to black would finish. Wish they'd gone another more creative direction here.

-At the end of the movie you don't really yearn to follow any of these people to a sequel, you aren't concerned with their futures much at all...but you will dwell on the incredible ambiance of the Watanabe-character's Japanese meeting room, the amazing bending-Paris dream sequence, the bleak "limbo" construct, and the assault on the snow fortress. You'll also be thinking about your own subconcious a lot, wondering what your own locked room of fears would contain...

I'd call this the best of year for sure, but that's not saying much as this year has been really substandard and awful to date.

B to B+.

Mako saw a different movie than the rest of us. A+

A very original and well done movie. Enjoyed it thoroughly despite my brain hurting afterward from following the plot.

Mako, as one of the guys on here that I hold in high esteem can you suggest by your reckoning a A+ film please.

If I had to list movies I feel are above the norm I'm sure it would look like everyone else's for the most part. I tend to be drawn towards character development and good writing in terms of what stands out. An over the top performance can trap me as well, as an example to most people There Will Be Blood was as boring as soccer is (like that jab Fortis/Capt? Nice.) but Daniel Day Lewis is so magnetic in the psychopathic lead that I could watch that movie a hundred times.

A few others I enjoyed lately and why:

Shutter Island - Based on the novel, which is almost always a good sign. Scorsese up to his usual tricks here, good casting/performances.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Swedish, subtitled, never read the best-selling book but was surprised how well done this one was.

Inception - My review may come off as overly negative above but as I said this is likely the best film of 2010 thus far.

Iron Man 2 - Hey I'm no elitest...If shit is blowing up, and blowing up well, I will be more than happy to give it a thumbs up. Already looking forward to The Avengers.

Can I bring a 7 year old to it? Sex/ nudity?

Yes you can. No sex or nudity. I belive the movie is PG come to think of it. I think a few "F" bombs were droped but I'm not sure. The only thing mentioned in the rating is violence.

Guest Rob Burgundy
Can I bring a 7 year old to it? Sex/ nudity?

You could but I have a feeling he might be very bored. Even a very intelligent child might get lost on this one...plus a couple disturbing scenes...woman committing suicide and some weird images of children that might be a lil creepy.

There's nothing that would disturb a 10 year old, but I do think 7 is a little too young for it, for the reasons Skokos mentions.

Still, there's no swearing or nudity at all. There's a hell of a lot of violence (whenever the film isn't boggling your mind it's showering bullets around the screen) but none of it's too explicit.

Some quick thoughts:

B to B+.

Agreed on all counts, great job catching these things Mako.

Very good movie I dare anyone to even try to explain the plot in quick way to a friend.

SPOILER:::

So, the ending.... that thing will topple over, right? :eusa_think:

SPOILER AHEAD

I like to think that it topples over. The only thing that bothers me is that his kids don't look any older, but then again we don't know how long he's been gone. Time, especially such a dramatic one, flows differently for children, so it's possible that it seemed longer to them, and that's why they haven't aged much.

Dammit you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****POTENTIAL SPOILER???????****

So............this is a guess I haven't seen the movie at all..............but...............The "kid" is Leo Dicaprio. The whole movie is actually a dream containing the whole set of OTHER dreams that he feels he can control. But in actuality he never could (just like the premise that you never really control you subconscious you're just along for the ride with whatever your brain gives you. He's gone for a long time cause................................................He's in a coma, and finally wakes up after he's pulled out of it and everything he knew as his reality comes to a crumbling, falling halt.

Am I close?????