Countach S: how to use and how to drift

Albert-LP

now my LP 5000S is almost ready (just two weeks, i hope), but now there is an other problem:

i never drove such a car (yes, never, i usually drive a Lexus IS...) without power steering and i'm thinking about several big question:

1)i was told to shift directly from 1st gear to 3rd gear when the gearbox oil is cold in order to avoid high synchro wear: is this true, do you usually do this? how much time does the gearbox oil need to warm?

2) if i exagerate with the throttle in first or second gear and the car start drifting, is it easy to control or the steering is too heavy?

3) the lateral view is so bad as i read?

4) does the engine overheat in traffic?

5) the car can be controlled when raining?

6) what is the recomended procedure to start the car with cold engine?

7) is there something that is better not do to with that car? Please do not tell me that is sex, because i have already seen that the interior is too tight for that...

any other suggestion about to use that car is welcome and very appreciated.

Thanks

ciao

Gearbox, if you will drain the gear oil out and replace it with a mixture of auto trans fluid and gear oil it will shift super easy. I have found that a mixture of 85 % auto trans fluid and 15 % 75 wt gear oil works best.

The way the synchros work, the heavy gear oil used in the gearbox, does not allow them to work as they should, therefore the auto trans fluid lets them work easier.

1)i was told to shift directly from 1st gear to 3rd gear when the gearbox oil is cold in order to avoid high synchro wear: is this true, do you usually do this? how much time does the gearbox oil need to warm?

Once you have the car moving you will find the steering to be quite easy.

2) if i exagerate with the throttle in first or second gear and the car start drifting, is it easy to control or the steering is too heavy?

If the radiators and cooling system is correct, I would say you will not have a problem with over heating.

I did not want to, but several times I had to drive one of mine in the rain, just pay attention to traffic and you will have no problems. Oh yea, make sure you have a good wiper blade.

Regards

Chadbourn Bolles

I'm too cheap to sponsor the board so I spam it instead

803 5 3 2 6 2 5 7

Sex is possible inside.

First to third is a good thing.

Not that easy to drift.

You'll get use to using your mirrors for rear view. Not a big deal.

It's ok in the rain, nothing scary unless you're at higher speed.

Starting procedure:

Turn key to on position but do not start.

Listen to the fuel pumps clicking. When they slow way down, pump the gas pedal 3-5 times.

Hold about halfway down, start the car. If it does not start, I sometimes pump the pedal while cranking.

Once started you're foot is the choke, you'll need to keep you foot on it at 1000-1500 rpm for a few.

Does anyone do something different?

Ignore if you're car is injected.

I don't find any problem steering mine, it's not that hard. Your car should sit fine in traffic, as long as the radiators are good, and the fans work. I had mine in the rain once, it did remarkably well. The single wiper worked nicely, and the car was not all over the road. The black rear air vents can get water in there, so be careful. On my car the ignition system sits right below it, no problems, just a precautionary note. The front turn signals did get a little dirt in them though, make sure yours are sealed good. Put some of the small round mirrors (cheap stick on that you can get anywhere) in the outside corners of your mirrors and your view will be much better, but still exercise caution changing lanes. It's really not that hard to drive one, if you allow yourself time to get used to it. Until mines warm, I will bypass second gear, again as a precaution. To start cold, allow fuel pressure to build up, then pump the gas pedal 3 or so times & hit the starter. To start hot, just crank it & then see if you need to give it any gas. Some, including the manual state to press the pedal down & then crank the starter when hot. Try it both ways.

mine car is a carbed 5000S.

Many thanks to you all: i will mind your words and teachings.

But I'm a bit concerned about when i will get used to drive the car and i will try to do sharp bends with the car in power oversteering: that car looks like one that do not tolerates idiots, and i'm not sure to be not.

I still wonder what would be the sensation while opening the throttle of this old savage thing...

ciao

dscf2509.jpg

Look at the rear tires.... you wont be drifting

upgrade the radiator fans and have two for each side

mine didn't like the rain. yes the wiper works well but wide tires hydroplane easy

after starting let the car warm up a lot more than what you think is normal and

yes, skip second gear the first 5 miles or 10minutes of driving.

you get used to the view. you can add the little dome mirrors to increase vision or a better

looking option a few have done is cut a piece from the big version for side mirrors for cargo vans and

trucks and glue that over your side mirror. It looks better because it fills up the entire mirror.

now my LP 5000S is almost ready (just two weeks, i hope), but now there is an other problem:

i never drove such a car (yes, never, i usually drive a Lexus IS...) without power steering and i'm thinking about several big question:

yes

Youre not going to "Drift".

3) the lateral view is so bad as i read?
No...

Its worse

Mine never has.

You have more rubber than shaqile O'Neals condoms.... You'll be fine.

6) what is the recomended procedure to start the car with cold engine?
Turn the key

7) is there something that is better not do to with that car?

Absolutely- Selling it.

any other suggestion about to use that car is welcome and very appreciated.

Thanks

ciao

all good suggestions

i add that the car could (and likely will) feel hard to drive the first time(s)...it is almost frustrating because your fellings will be:

- it is just a too old car to be enjoied ...what the f..k was i thinking when i bought this thing?? :eusa_think: :eusa_think:

- i am not good enough to manage this thing :crybaby2:

in reality it is normal, we are just not familiar with all the direct command and the countach was a hard to learn car in his era....so now it is even more!

add the fact that it usually takes a lot of times to warm the thing up...all this oil will need some good 15 minutes on a spring day

the nice thing is that all will become to make sense the more you will drive it, and after taking confidence you will find it very rewarding and all very fun to drive :icon_thumleft: , while to go from a countach to a modern car will feel as fun and full of feel....as using a playstation joipad ! ;)

Albert, i always drove cars a bit fast ... i never drifted the countach

yes, sure, you can try it on a roundabout at low speed...

but over it on a pubblic road with new 345 tyres... forget it! ;)

believe me, you won't drift it on the road...you can go plenty fast on corners without be on the limit, the car is very flat and planted

there is just too much grip with new rear tyres and a little voice in your head will keep telling you that if it will drift there are good chances you won't be able to catch it up...

to drift it, you really will have to push the car and with all the time and money a countach cost.....on the pubblic road, the willing to take it home in one piece will be prevalent ....it is instanct wise-enancer ;)

as for the lateral view: it is bad:

try to take a good look, indicator on.... and even if you are pretty sure nothing is coming move slowly at intersections and even with changing lane....it can be something you missed out there ...

There is so much travel in the throttle pedal that it would slim that the car will slip away from you.

First time I drove mine, I remembered all those reports I read as a kid about the neck snapping acceleration....and laughed at how full of shit they are.. The reality is..the Countach has ZERO chance of stepping out on you unless you do something so incredibly stupid that you would deserve to kill yourself in it.

You know, the more I look at the title of this thread the more I have to spread the word that Countach and drift don't belong in the same sentence.

Leave the drifting to the supras and vipers etc.

You know, the more I look at the title of this thread the more I have to spread the word that Countach and drift don't belong in the same sentence.

+1

Especially with the price of the tires on these things! ;-)

Mike

Arent the replacement for the tires on these a nightmare to find?

You can't run down to the local tire store and buy them off the rack, but I was able to find them without trouble. Longstone tyres in the UK shows them in stock. http://www.longstonetires.com/page/lamborghiniTyres

I ordered a set of fronts tires from them and had them within a few days. Shipping was very reasonable.

You can't run down to the local tire store and buy them off the rack, but I was able to find them without trouble. Longstone tyres in the UK shows them in stock. http://www.longstonetires.com/page/lamborghiniTyres

I ordered a set of fronts tires from them and had them within a few days. Shipping was very reasonable.

Longstone is not cheap: i bought my PIrelli PZero Asimmetrico 345/35-15 at http://www.fipio-reifen.com/ this spring for 400 euro each shipped here in italy. Now they are aou of stock, but check them in november.

yes i agree, with so huge rear tyres and "just" 375 hp the tyres easily defeat the engine, but may be i did not write my question in the right way: i mean what happens if the car drifs... i think it is better this not happens, as without a powersteering and with a poor driver this car looks very hard to control if the rear axle drift.

thanks to you all