From Paris Motor Show - New Lambo Concept Car

a007apl

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting Tommy, thanks for posting it. And there's no doubt Andy told you this, my following comments are about the comment itself, not you at all:

1. The US is still their singular biggest country by volume.

So the numbers right away make no sense, as 500 produced would require (as in "this is not optional unless you don't want to ever sell them") that 100+ come to the US. Especially at that price point. 20 only would leave over 480 of these things having to be moved elsewhere, which goes against every allocation they've done the past ten years, across all models. The rumor would actully have more validity if Andy had said the US would get "none". Then at least it makes sense as they can sell in less-restrictive markets. But 20? If you can sell 20 you'd sell 80 or 100 or as many as you could to absorb as much of the run as possible.

2. To get this thing certified would be nearly impossible. In any country.

Just one example of the difficulties: It doesn't even have seats. It has cushions glued to the superstructure. How on earth would any regulatory body be able to cert this car as it was presented at the show? It wouldn't even meet the less restrictive EU regs where the Zonda and Koeniggshit run free, massive modifications would be necessary to get this thing sales-ready anywhere in the world.

Those two things alone are enough to make me doubt the story completely. It's one thing when Porsche HQ says they'll build 918 units of their hybrid 918 model for $750k. It's another when an isolated Lambo dealer says they'll build a three-day-old showcar comprised almost entirely of carbonfiber at a certain unit amount for a certain price.

I'm more likely to believe they'd sell it as a one-off as they have the Concept S and other cars recently than I would believe they'd greenlight this extremely complicated-to-produce-and-cert showcar.

Tommy said 150 produced, not 500.

Tommy said 150 produced, not 500.

Yes, compare it to the SV. 350 produced, only about 40-45 made it to the US. Many have since left the country, purchased by foreign buyers.

@Mako- As for the seats, look at the Gumpert Apollo. That car is street legal and it too has fixed seats molded into the body. I heard it was a concept car only until today. The number of cars, the price, allocation to the US market all sounded possible to me.

@Fortis- You are STILL not getting it that Andy was NOT "blackduckie"???

Why on Earth did I think "150" said 500? My mistake, good catch everyone.

20 out of 150 is much more plausible for sure. And the Apollo example is close though this concept car has no structural crash supports, and likely has been stripped of everything needed to pass EPA regs.

I think the only way this info could prove right is the way Jim described. Basically a Reventon play, where they simply drop the Sesto's body onto a normal production LP560. For the number (150) and the price of $500k, it really smells like it.

No weight savings obviously, and normal LP560 performance. Not very appealing.

also the lambo guys said that the concept HAS NO CHANCE of making it to production...

Then

Guys, I met up with Andy from Lamborghini of Bellevue today at our weekly car gathering. He said this is NOT just a concept car and that Lamborghini does plan to build 150 for the world market. The price will be $500k. He said about 20 are expected for the US market. I explained that I'd heard that it was concept car only and he said it will definitely be built.

Now either the guys at Lambo have not been given the same script or...

like i previously said i spoke with a guy responsible for the murcie replacement, and the unveiling event, not just some vendor but an actual lambo manager and he said the concept has NO CHANCE of making it to production. also the 500K looks totally ridiculous....

like i previously said i spoke with a guy responsible for the murcie replacement, and the unveiling event, not just some vendor but an actual lambo manager and he said the concept has NO CHANCE of making it to production. also the 500K looks totally ridiculous....

Yea, I too spoke with someone in management two weeks ago and I was told the same thing- concept car only. Andy was very specific about his information and he's the dealer. I can't imagine any incentive to lie on this one guys. It's not like he'd gain anything. Would be good if other dealers could confirm or deny.

Lamborghini has turned into a misinformation machine. That's the one thing we know for sure. All the teasers, leaks, secret relationships, etc., makes any reliable information about anything hard to come by initially.

Yea, I too spoke with someone in management two weeks ago and I was told the same thing- concept car only. Andy was very specific about his information and he's the dealer. I can't imagine any incentive to lie on this one guys. It's not like he'd gain anything. Would be good if other dealers could confirm or deny.

Lamborghini has turned into a misinformation machine. That's the one thing we know for sure. All the teasers, leaks, secret relationships, etc., makes any reliable information about anything hard to come by initially.

Truer words have never been spoken!!

But just think about this. They put the old SL wheels on the Balboni because they did not have the cash to be able to certify a new wheel. (which actually is quite a bit of money) So to certify the new car with all the crash standards etc does not seem a possibility.

Simply rebodying a Gallardo with this body seems like the most likely option (i.e. like the Reventon was to the Murcie), but there's no way that makes the car weigh only 999 kg in real life. Which was the main selling point, as I see it. So I'm curious as to how much demand there will be for it.

Simply rebodying a Gallardo with this body seems like the most likely option (i.e. like the Reventon was to the Murcie), but there's no way that makes the car weigh only 999 kg in real life. Which was the main selling point, as I see it. So I'm curious as to how much demand there will be for it.

I was at Paris this weekend and had a look at the concept - its insane in the flesh, everything on the car apart from the engine/gearbox and interior upholstery is carbon and made in the new facility at Sant ####. As well as the partnership with Boeing, they also signed a deal with Callaway:

http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/en-CA/I...amborghini.html

I spent a bit of time in their hospitality area backstage - Winkelmann and some of his senior team were there. They told me that this was strictly a concept and it had no chance of road legal certification and production.

However, they did say that they had received a lot of calls urging them to make the car anyway - typically "I own the country so I decide what's road legal" from some middle east customers or calls to make it as a track only machine. This is under consideration if enough buyers emerge to make it worthwhile. They also confirmed that it is a fully functioning car and they intend to let journalists drive it on track in the next month or two!

On the V12, no new info above what is already posted on here. Confirmed though that it is a completely new car with no carryover parts whatsoever. They quoted the HP as 700 rather than 713/720.

Andy sent me info this morning, still claiming they are building 150. Who knows, it could be to check level of interest. Nothing was marked as confidential and the announcement was made to a whole group of us owners. There was nothing in print directly from Lamborghini about the 150. Whatever is the actual story, it is bothersome that there is so much misinformation, regardless of the source.

As for crash testing, someone hasn't been paying attention to the work that's been underway at the University of Washington for some time now. They have been destruction testing for well over a year, and they do have a crash rig. I was given a nice plaque from the University made out the material they were testing so best to make no assumptions about what they can and can't do as none of us really knows, other than they have a credibility problem because of their own failure to communicate a consistent uniform message to their very own customers base. Nothing new there.

I too was invited to Paris but decided not to attend as it was just going to be a concept car and I couldn't see the point in making the trip just for that. Had they said something about the possibility of building, I would have attended just to see if it was of interest to me. I can say from the photos, I'm not jumping up and down with excitement for some reason, but prefer to reserve judgment until I see something they will actually produce in person. I don't like to waste time on concept cars as they are merely an indicator of possible direction and not much more.

Andy sent me info this morning, still claiming they are building 150. Who knows, it could be to check level of interest. Nothing was marked as confidential and the announcement was made to a whole group of us owners. There was nothing in print directly from Lamborghini about the 150. Whatever is the actual story, it is bothersome that there is so much misinformation, regardless of the source.

As for crash testing, someone hasn't been paying attention to the work that's been underway at the University of Washington for some time now. They have been destruction testing for well over a year, and they do have a crash rig. I was given a nice plaque from the University made out the material they were testing so best to make no assumptions about what they can and can't do as none of us really knows, other than they have a credibility problem because of their own failure to communicate a consistent uniform message to their very own customers base. Nothing new there.

I too was invited to Paris but decided not to attend as it was just going to be a concept car and I couldn't see the point in making the trip just for that. Had they said something about the possibility of building, I would have attended just to see if it was of interest to me. I can say from the photos, I'm not jumping up and down with excitement for some reason, but prefer to reserve judgment until I see something they will actually produce in person. I don't like to waste time on concept cars as they are merely an indicator of possible direction and not much more.

I got the strong impression that this is much more than the average concept car. They are ready to let journalists nail it round a track anytime soon. But it will be a major ballsache to get it road legal anywhere in the western world. It has CF suspension, CF wheels etc FFS. I hope Andy is right as it will be the quickest car ever made if they do it

I hope Andy is right as it will be the quickest car ever made if they do it

Don´t think so, atleast not in a straightline, not enough hp. The Kegg weighs only about 200kg more but has way more horsepower

However, they did say that they had received a lot of calls urging them to make the car anyway - typically "I own the country so I decide what's road legal" from some middle east customers or calls to make it as a track only machine. This is under consideration if enough buyers emerge to make it worthwhile. They also confirmed that it is a fully functioning car and they intend to let journalists drive it on track in the next month or two!

I thought that car would get buyers all hot and sweaty!

If that car is good enough to be tracked by journos I think it says a lot about the stage of development the car is at re structural strength, durability and crash worthyness.

I got the strong impression that this is much more than the average concept car. They are ready to let journalists nail it round a track anytime soon. But it will be a major ballsache to get it road legal anywhere in the western world. It has CF suspension, CF wheels etc FFS. I hope Andy is right as it will be the quickest car ever made if they do it

Lots of CF stuff is already legal. SSC has been using CF wheels on the last two cars they produced. Also, like I said, we have no idea what's already been tested, approved, etc. All we have is lots and lots of conflicting information about this car, the next car and the replacement for the Gallardo. I've grown tired of it.

If the back didnt look like that this car would have been sick.

+1...I don't mind the back...it just needed to be stretched about 8-12" longer.

jotaorangenew1200.jpg

Can't edit my post for some reason... here is the picture I was trying to post.

(From a styling POV) Please tell me this ISN'T the concept car for the new Lambo!!!!!!!! :eusa_naughty:

i really think the proportions of the concept are way off. they need to stretch it a bit. i find that in person the car looks kinda talll and short, and the extra bells and whistles make it look like a tuned renault clio. it does not have the same presence on the road as the reventon or even stock murcie. just not mean enough to be a lambo!

FYI, I believe you can actually "simulate" a crash test via computer and receive approval. This "could" be a route taken assuming they have been stress testing the various parts or chassis, which I would think they have been doing as to determine what parts and methods would best suit upcoming models. However, from a liability stand point, not a good thing from a manufacturers perspective. While I could see this being built for a select few in the middle east or imported as a "race car", which it is not (and there are importation rules for those, as well) I do not believe you will see it road legal stateside....just too many obstacles.