Tax on cars in CA

Easy888

I forgot how this goes, so I'm hoping someone does.

I'm possibly trading a car for one that is out of state. Once I bring the newly acquired car back to CA, do I pay the tax on the agreed asking price of the car before the trade is factored in, or just on the difference.

Thanks.

You pay tax on the entire amount of the car.. I thought you pay on the difference ( as you do everywhere ELSE) and then got fucked..

Hmm, seems like it may be better to do a transaction out of state then. I have residence in Nevada.

Does anyone know what the rule is then in that scenario? I heard it was 90 days out of state then bring the car into CA tax free? Does that still apply?

Thanks again.

Hmm, seems like it may be better to do a transaction out of state then. I have residence in Nevada.

Does anyone know what the rule is then in that scenario? I heard it was 90 out of state then bring the car into CA tax free? Does that still apply?

Thanks again.

The rules keep on changing. You should contact the BOE http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/taxoverview.htm to find out specifics so you don't get screwed. It was 90 days at one time, but I think may have been changed again to 1 year.

g-force is the member here who did it successfully with a few cars.

The rules keep on changing. You should contact the BOE http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/taxoverview.htm to find out specifics so you don't get screwed. It was 90 days at one time, but I think may have been changed again to 1 year.

g-force is the member here who did it successfully with a few cars.

Appreciate it. I'll check with the DMV.

as far as I know, it does.

Did last week when I did one. Gets a little sticky if you have a CA driver's license though as California is a reporting state for insurance. So what happens is, when you get CA liability insurance for your car and there is no car registered, they come a knockin' for their money. I think the rule for out of state is 6 months in another state as of a couple weeks ago.

As for taxes paid, you pay on the full purchase price of the car each time. CA is not a "trade difference" state as many are. Neither is VA. That is why leasing of exotics is so popular in CA, you only pay tax on the payment when you lease instead of full taxes up front. And CA just raised vehicle tax to 10% so that is a real kick in the cock.

Did last week when I did one. Gets a little sticky if you have a CA driver's license though as California is a reporting state for insurance. So what happens is, when you get CA liability insurance for your car and there is no car registered, they come a knockin' for their money. I think the rule for out of state is 6 months in another state as of a couple weeks ago.

As for taxes paid, you pay on the full purchase price of the car each time. CA is not a "trade difference" state as many are. Neither is VA. That is why leasing of exotics is so popular in CA, you only pay tax on the payment when you lease instead of full taxes up front. And CA just raised vehicle tax to 10% so that is a real kick in the cock.

Chris are cars taxed at a different rate in CA? I'm in LA county so tax here I believe is 9.75%.

Chris are cars taxed at a different rate in CA? I'm in LA county so tax here I believe is 9.75%.

I think you are right. You are taxed based on the address where you register the car.

I think you are right. You are taxed based on the address where you register the car.

Could be. I know that you guys just had a big tax hike on cars. I know that it is as high as 10%, thought almost all of you in LA were in the 10% bracket, I could be wrong though. Then again, I know that a couple years ago it was 8.25% tax and in some places it was 8.75%.

you have to have owned and registered the car out of CA for 1 year before you can register it in CA tax free. during this time, if you get pulled over driving in CA, you'd be fined big time if you have either a CA license, vote in CA, work in CA or have a home address in CA. not sure if you want to take the risk. if you do, make sure you get rid of any association in CA.

you have to have owned and registered the car out of CA for 1 year before you can register it in CA tax free. during this time, if you get pulled over driving in CA, you'd be fined big time if you have either a CA license, vote in CA, work in CA or have a home address in CA. not sure if you want to take the risk. if you do, make sure you get rid of any association in CA.

I know it's all speculation until I talk to the DMV directly, which I hope I'll find time for next week. But if what you're saying is true then if I have recreational vehicles in NV (parked and left there as primary location) I'll still have to register them in CA just in case I do bring them back for whatever (temporary) reason....just to be safe and not have to deal with CA bullshit in case I got pulled over for whatever reason. I do work and reside in CA as well have residence here but that doesn't mean I can't/don't have a mirrored life in another state minus the work aspect.

FWIW, you might try these "questionable" ways at AAA rather than the DMV. Being a private, member paying company, they are IMO FAR more likely to let you slide.

DMV will enjoy giving you some financial prison rape any chance they get.

FWIW, you might try these "questionable" ways at AAA rather than the DMV. Being a private, member paying company, they are IMO FAR more likely to let you slide.

DMV will enjoy giving you some financial prison rape any chance they get.

It's not so much the DMV, but rather the state of CA. Seriously if there ever was a state that ranks on my shit list to be carnut in, it's CA. Roads are shitty (SoCal), traffic is shitty, registration is a bitch, said tax, emissions....how the fcuk did I end up here?!

It's not so much the DMV, but rather the state of CA. Seriously if there ever was a state that ranks on my shit list to be carnut in, it's CA. Roads are shitty (SoCal), traffic is shitty, registration is a bitch, said tax, emissions....how the fcuk did I end up here?!

they need you to help pay for the broken sidewalks especially around 90012

Info you are looking for are all on DMV's site

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

"•Use Tax: Collected at the same rate as your California city of residence sales tax. Legislation requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date.

•Nonresident Service Fee: Collected on vehicles and vessels other than PTI trailers and Special Equipment.

•Penalties: Assessed when fees for a nonresident vehicle are not paid within 20 days of the date they became due. PTI trailers are only assessed late use tax penalties. "

I purchased my car at Manhattan Motorcars in NY, and had it shipped to CA. I paid the CA tax when I bought the car in NY. I wouldn't try to register the car elsewhere to avoid paying the tax, as it just potentially opens you up for an audit. This is why as Chris said, many people in CA opt to lease a car, where you aren't paying the tax on the full amount up front. I just did a ride along with the cops and they are targeting this stuff with exotics in LA, so be careful.

-Steven

Not trying to hijack this thread in any way but I felt for asking my questions here instead of starting a completely new topic!

Hope that is OK!

I am now about to register my car in Oregon. It's garage location is in Washington state.

Next May car will car be moved south and garaged permanently in CA.

Insurance policy will then also be changed to display garage location CA.

I will maintain my Oregon title and registration.

Do I need to pay any CA taxes due to car is then actually garaged in California?

Is there a cross reference system between the DMV in Oregon and in CA that will notify CA DMV that car is garaged inside their state?

Not trying to hijack this thread in any way but I felt for asking my questions here instead of starting a completely new topic!

Hope that is OK!

I am now about to register my car in Oregon. It's garage location is in Washington state.

Next May car will car be moved south and garaged permanently in CA.

Insurance policy will then also be changed to display garage location CA.

I will maintain my Oregon title and registration.

Do I need to pay any CA taxes due to car is then actually garaged in California?

Is there a cross reference system between the DMV in Oregon and in CA that will notify CA DMV that car is garaged inside their state?

I am trying to think why you are going to change your insurance policy. If your registration and title remain in Oregon, is the change necessary?