How do you shift your E Gear for crusing?

NOSZ06

2007 LP640 E Gear.

Just prior to upshifting I slightly back off the throttle and paddle the upshift. Then after the transmission has engaged to higher gear I slowly apply throttle pressure to desired rpm and repeat. This style of up shifting feels smother and less harsh on clutch and transmission gear engagement.

How do you shift your E Gear?

Chris

No. The purpose of the egear is to not have to take your foot off the gas. I never ever do anything but shift. You shouldn't feel any sudden jolt unless you're in Corsa (Sport) mode and you're to the floor. It's designed to be driven with your foot firmly in place.

Tommys right!I love feeling that clutch bite, feathering the throttle is just picking up a bad habit not good for the clutch.

feathering would make it slightly smoother. i think manual says keeping it on the accelerator. either style won't harm clutch. engine timing takes care of backing off the throttle during shifts anyways.

Feathering it does nothing and defeats the entire purpose of egear. If you're worried about making shifts smoother you are clearly in the wrong type of car and I'd suggest a Lexus sedan with its silky-smooth shifting. In fact, I'd bet "feathering" causes faster wear of the clutch. You want that clutch to spend the least amount of time slipping. This very debate came up when discuss clutch wear on Corsa (sport) mode on or off and its contribution to clutch wear. The general consensus is that it's less wear in Corsa mode. If you're a timid driver; and concern about feathering leads me to believe this; you're missing out on the true spirit of the car. Seriously, too often I see 'sedan' habits brought to a Lamborghini and the driver doesn't get anywhere near the fun out of their Lamborghini.

you guys all sound like ferrarifags :eusa_dance:

you all are driving 400k + cars if you change the clutch every 3 years or 15k miles big deal you can afford it because your are driving a supercar don't bitch about it or feather the clutch, drive it like it's meant to be driven.

Edit just read tommy's post, you tell them tommy :icon_super:

you guys all sound like ferrarifags :eusa_dance:

you all are driving 400k + cars if you change the clutch every 3 years or 15k miles big deal you can afford it because your are driving a supercar don't bitch about it or feather the clutch, drive it like it's meant to be driven.

Edit just read tommy's post, you tell them tommy :icon_super:

:iamwithstupid:

Drive it like you stole it!

• 3 weeks later...

I had enormous 40,000km of fun with my 04 Manual Gallardo. I avoided the earlier e-gear Gs because of the renown bucking problems.

I recently switched over to a 09 LP640 E-gear, my feeling is that the LP640's e-gear software has the same bugs, even after all these years. That or the e-gear hardware/sensor design is not quite right.

Shifting around 4-5-6 is pretty flawless (easy at those rpm).

Its the moving off bucking/jerking and hard driving around 2-3-4 that smokes the clutch, and when I smell that burning clutch, it just erodes confidence in this brand and its "technology".

I can't drive it as hard as I used to in my manual G without the clutch smoking...

Sadly, the dealer does not have a solution. They tried resetting the adaptive learning for shifting, but same bucking and surging when moving off on incline.

There is also no "special" driving technique to get around this, even the workshop boys coudn't move the car off on incline without it bucking.

I mean moving off on 1st with absolute confidence is really basic and this car can't do that without jerking or you having to be always conscious about if it might or might not buck (that feeling really sucks) .

If you move off really slow (last car off the light) and apply power after it starts rolling a bit, it probably will not jerk. But that's just not right for a supercar.... can't be....

Has anyone found a solution to this problem at all???

Someone save my faith in Lambo.....

I had enormous 40,000km of fun with my 04 Manual Gallardo. I avoided the earlier e-gear Gs because of the renown bucking problems.

I recently switched over to a 09 LP640 E-gear, my feeling is that the LP640's e-gear software has the same bugs, even after all these years. That or the e-gear hardware/sensor design is not quite right.

Its the moving off bucking/jerking and hard driving around 2-3-4 that smokes the clutch, and when I smell that burning clutch, it just erodes confidence in this brand and its "technology".

I can't drive it as hard as I used to in my manual G without the clutch smoking...

Sadly, the dealer does not have a solution. They tried resetting the adaptive learning for shifting, but same bucking and surging when moving off on incline.

There is also no "special" driving technique to get around this, even the workshop boys coudn't move the car off on incline without it bucking.

I mean moving off on 1st with absolute confidence is really basic and this car can't do that without jerking or you having to be always conscious about if it might or might not buck (that feeling really sucks) .

If you move off really slow (last car off the light) and apply power after it starts rolling a bit, it probably will not jerk. But that's just not right for a supercar.... can't be....

Sounds like a clutch adjustment to me. I had a similar problem with my LP640 and they solved it with some minor tweaks. Has anyone looked at the overheat seconds on the clutch? I'm wondering if you've polished it a bit, which can still be worked out with driving. How many miles on the car?

I know when my SVs clutch was out of adjustment, I'd get the same thing, but we fooled around with it and got it just right for my driving style.

In terms of a "special" driving technique I suggest left foot brake right throttle.

4 years ownership of a 04 G, the only time I had problems with the car "bucking" was first time I jumped in it after it came off the delivery truck, 5 minutes later all sweet.

My neighbor had similar problems with his 04 G bucking, his driveway is very steep, I've spent 10 minutes with him in the car taught him how to take off, he has zero issues getting up and down his drive.

Sounds like a clutch adjustment to me. I had a similar problem with my LP640 and they solved it with some minor tweaks. Has anyone looked at the overheat seconds on the clutch? I'm wondering if you've polished it a bit, which can still be worked out with driving. How many miles on the car?

I know when my SVs clutch was out of adjustment, I'd get the same thing, but we fooled around with it and got it just right for my driving style.

Hi Tommy,

The car's got 10,000km on it. Clutch overheat : 101 secs. Gap diff : 3.4mm.

Is there a particular section of LIDAS where such tweaks can be done? The dealer doesn't seem to know.

Thx.

This problem has been covered quite a bit on this forum. Search and you will see a few threads.

The 2 main main causes for me seemed to be first not letting the engine and gear box warm up prior to taking off (on first start up I let it run for a good 5-10 mins to warm gearbox as well as engine) and also not giving the throttle a good prod when starting from a stop.

Once the bucking starts it seems to get into a loop and the only way I found to stop it was to drive through a few gears or to turn ignition off and re start the engine.

It can be a right pain in the rear but once you get used to it you can avoid it 99.9% of the time.

The dealer can adjust the point in RPM's where the cluch starts to bite and also I think the sensitivity of the throttle to help with the problem.

Russell

No. The purpose of the egear is to not have to take your foot off the gas. I never ever do anything but shift. You shouldn't feel any sudden jolt unless you're in Corsa (Sport) mode and you're to the floor. It's designed to be driven with your foot firmly in place.

*mental note: ride with Tommy and watch(and learn) him drive before buying a E-Gear Lamborghini* :icon_mrgreen:

Hi Tommy,

The car's got 10,000km on it. Clutch overheat : 101 secs. Gap diff : 3.4mm.

Is there a particular section of LIDAS where such tweaks can be done? The dealer doesn't seem to know.

Thx.

Well, you're not burning the clutch with that low a time on the overheat, so I'm guessing you're in decent shape. I'm not sure how to do it exactly. My service guru sat on the passenger side with his laptop plugged into the A2DP port and we'd do laps around the parking lot as he made very slight adjustments until we had it perfect. I'd check with your next closest dealer and see if someone there has more experience with adjustments. Russell's also giving you some good advice.

The dealer requested factory's assistance on the matter.

Lamborghini asked for a snapshot of the car's settings and software version. Dealer done and sent.

Now waiting for factory's response, been two days now....

I'm convinced now that if I ever stop the car on even a slight incline, for example stopping facing uphill at a junction, the car will not be able to move off at all without jerking itself to pieces no matter how light or decisive you feed the throttle. Most of the time, it's holding up traffic.

It makes you look stupid ..... and after paying $900k for this "Flagship" lambo, I'm about to get really mad.

Something to ask you guys :

On flat ground, can you floor the throttle and the car just goes like you would expect it to??

How about doing that on an incline?? And is the car's response consistent or are you getting different behaviour each time you do it?

I'm getting a whole variety of behaviour moving off from standstill on flat ground. Hell, I even did quite a few rounds of moving off from standstill on a secluded road just to try to make some sense of the car's "characteristics", but I'm even more convinced that the car is very undecisive and confused when moving off. The clutch keeps engaging, then disengaging (even though your throttle is held down) .... looping, jerking.... or delayed throttle response.

I'm also beginning to wonder if there could be a problem with the foot pedal sensor itself, feeding "dirty" signals to the e-gear system, since that's our ONLY input for the car to start moving ......

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback so far.

I'm just hoping we all have not been so blinded by the glamour of owning a lambo to the point that we would even compromise on basics. I'm beginning to question myself if its worth all this trouble at all?? damn...

It would be like owning a "special edition" Mont Blanc collector's pen which may or may not produce ink each time you try to write with it..... but you live with it because its a Mont Blanc....

You have to drive it a little differently on an incline because the clutch doesn't know your intention so you have to be more aggressive. The only time I ever had issues on flat surface was when I either was starting from a stopped position with the steering wheel hard to one side or the other, or the clutch was out of adjustment.

Did they make sure you had the latest software version? I've noticed that sometimes they don't communicate software updates between the dealers and the factory all that timely. They should be able to solve your problem. Are there any other LP640s in your area that you can drive to compare feel? Also, what differences do you notice in Sport (Corsa) mode?

but I'm even more convinced that the car is very undecisive and confused when moving off. The clutch keeps engaging, then disengaging (even though your throttle is held down) .... looping, jerking.... or delayed throttle response.

i've noticed this behavior with my 05 e-egear car. i thought it was maybe due to a cold start, as i noticed this problem the most once i first pull /back the car out of the driveway. as i engage out of reverse into 1st, the car gets really jerky, even though my foot is depressed on the peddle consistently.

I'm out in Singapore and there's only 1 Lamborghini rep on this island serving about 200 cars.

Most owners here are Brand enthusiasts, not car enthusiasts. IMO. The cars have hardly any mileage on them.

I've seen murci's jerking while at Lambo gatherings. I was told the LPs don't do that, only the 1st gen Murci.

The jerking problem exists in all modes, Corsa or TCS off.

There is some funky shit going on with the software at the clutch engagement point, I reckon.

Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd @ around 5000rpm sometimes produces clutch odour, another sign that the software was not making the right decisions.

As the driver, we only have the paddle shifts and gas pedal, there isn't very much we can do to help the situation. The e-gear has full control, otherwise.

Software depends on inputs from sensors (gas pedal travel, speed, engine rpm, etc) to make output control decisions (gear selection & clutch engagement), it could be a funky sensor somewhere that's creating the havoc....

I thought e-gear was suppose to be superior to manual shifting..... sigh.... My last manual G had it's first clutch change at 50,000km.

This LP is a gorgeous looking car, great power (when delivered with dignity).

My dissapointment stems from the apparent fact that this is a known problem and until today the factory does not seem to have a permanent fix or have they found the problem?

I dread to think the factory actually launched this product before they found a resolution. They must know about this while testing the car.

Or are we at the cutting edge of clutch/gearing technology?? I seriously doubt so...

I'm going to test drive a few other LPs to see if this is a common problem as suggested. From the various lambo forums, it seems to be a common experience.

Thx.

Most owners here are Brand enthusiasts, not car enthusiasts. IMO. The cars have hardly any mileage on them.

I've seen murci's jerking while at Lambo gatherings.

This LP is a gorgeous looking car, great power

:iamwithstupid: :icon_super:

For them its not about driving pleasure/enthusiasm.. More for status symbol and bragging what nots... :jackoff:

:iamwithstupid: :icon_super:

For them its not about driving pleasure/enthusiasm.. More for status symbol and bragging what nots... :jackoff:

The Lambo SG dealership must make sh!tload of $$$$ from all the e-gear clutch replacement since almost everyone have to reverse park.