Today was a sad day for me

Allan-Herbie

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched Jeremy Clarksons Italian Job. Not saying he is making all senese, but his opinion regarding to the 458 and G 570 SL somehow similar to some of you here.

Just watched Jeremy Clarksons Italian Job. Not saying he is making all senese, but his opinion regarding to the 458 and G 570 SL somehow similar to some of you here.

Yes, I saw that too. Ferrari did supply Clarkson with (2) cars, a race track, a race car, shots of their F1 drivers, Enzo's home, and a full factory spot for his movie. Ferrari gets the biggest Thank You at the end because of those assets. I am sure the 458 is light years ahead in many ways of the old Gallardo design, but I wonder if the Ferrari fest that is 'the Italian job' influenced anything.

Clarkson said something I found especially interesting... He thought maybe the 2008 SL was better or more of a 'race' feeling. I think another youtube review said that as well. I feel that way about 2007-2008 Gallardo's over the LP-560. I prefer the harder shifting of the earlier cars. I know the LP-560 is supposed to have great improvements in many ways, I just didn't enjoy it as much. But, I like to feel shifts. Especially with paddles.

No use arguing, the new McLaren will obsolete both.

The McLaren already looks dated when compared to what others have out there. It reminds me of a slightly updated NSX. Another thing, it's one thing to build a handful of cars, it's another to go to full production producing "thousands" as they claim. That car like so many others that have come before is a giant 'wait and see.' I hope it does well, but the styling does nothing for me. It's just not cutting-edge enough. I saw it in person and other than the glance it would get from me in a Safeway parking lot for achieving rare status, i'd not be likely to pay much attention and accidentally back into it. It's that boring to me.

It's funny how the LFA never ever comes up for consideration. I've heard so little about the LFA I went looking to see if the whole thing was killed off. I've never seen a car with so little buzz within the exotic buying community. Forget the good and bad points, the lack of buzz anywhere continues to astound me.

It's funny how the LFA never ever comes up for consideration. I've heard so little about the LFA I went looking to see if the whole thing was killed off. I've never seen a car with so little buzz within the exotic buying community. Forget the good and bad points, the lack of buzz anywhere continues to astound me.

Bad marketing/branding?

Is it even out yet? You're right, you hear nothing about it, but for me anyway, it's a little hard to get excited about a $375K Toyota no matter how nice it may be. I really don't understand why that thing wasn't the new Supra and priced similar to the Nissan GT-R.

Is it even out yet? You're right, you hear nothing about it, but for me anyway, it's a little hard to get excited about a $375K Toyota no matter how nice it may be. I really don't understand why that thing wasn't the new Supra and priced similar to the Nissan GT-R.

:iamwithstupid:

Brand snobbery is a very real thing in the US, which is why you no longer see VW Phaetons.

Tommy, how can you praise the LF-A and hate on the 458 so much?

Brand snobbery is a very real thing in the US, which is why you no longer see VW Phaetons.

I don't recall Tommy ever praising the LF-A, if anything I recall the opposite about Toyota's route to market.

Bad marketing/branding?

Or the fact that they want 400k for a car that isnt even that great.

I've never been a fan of the LFA. While it has some interesting technology, the styling is just flat ugly to me. I own a Lexus now and I've even owned one of their soap-bar-like SCs, and I still think the LFA is ugly. I think the 458 is a nice looking car, just not the car I'd want. I like the rawness of a Lamborghini and I don't want any car that's had the soul refined right out of it.

The guys at Lexus responsible for the LFA's marketing are colossal idiots and should have never been given the job in the first place. It's another classic case of no-exotic culture thinking they know everything about selling cars because they sold Toyotas. Early press statements showed they were way out of their league. They came out of the box completely full of themselves and incredibly arrogant. They had a 'don't call us, we'll call you' attitude from the start. Some of the biggest collectors I know have never ever been contacted by Lexus. What this has been is a classic case where the marketing department stereotypes rich people and decides that by private events with people who are 'black card members', they will somehow find buyers as if the two are one in the same, not realizing that most black card members are people who own a business, not necessarily profitable, who simply cycle through a lot of expenses on their card. It's a marketing gimmick to reward people for using the card a lot and has nothing to do with actual wealth. Meanwhile they ignored the exotic community entirely. Instead Lexus tried to pretend that the car's demand was far greater than supply. Here is a another little thing they missed; Hey Lexus just because someone is rich, it doesn't automatically mean they LIKE cars! I also know a lot of Lamborghini owners who are barely in their cars. Some even have their own parents co-signing on loans, etc., because they are so nuts about cars. Those same people, as leveraged as they are, would be far more likely to buy an LFA, but rather than take the car to enthusiasts, nope, they had their own ideas. Then lets not forget the moronic 'lease' agreement where you pay for a car but don't get title for two years. Those assholes did it for one reason and one reason alone and that was to keep Lexus from competing with their own used cars as they hit the market with a giant thud, knowing they would still be building cars for two years. Besides all this I think it's a perfectly fine car.

There is nothing faggy about own a 458. They look great and perform just as well. You should get one , saw a white one zooming past my area, nothing but pure sex on wheels (even though its an F car).

Tommy - I could not agree withyou more on the marketing of the LFA.

As for the 458, it is on my list of cars I would like to own, but would have a hard time choosing it over the 570SL. I also agree that certain colors do nothing for the 458, but the black, white and yellow versions look good to me. There are several design cues I would change on the 458, can't say the same for the SL.

You finally talk me in to buying a Lambo and you go and do this??????? HAHA. A friend of mine bought a white 458 and says it is the most incredible car he has owned and he has owned a lot of exotics.

Hate to say it, but the Gallardo is getting quite dated looking. It just looks old now. The design of the car was too impulsive from the start, it just doesn't have any real flow to it.

Have a look at last month Road and Track, the 458 looks so much better, newer and well just overall more appealing to the eye.

Performance of both cars is nothing short of awesome, but the F-car takes the cake in the visual department, which unfortunately sells over performance in the exotic car universe.

The first time I saw a Gallardo there was a WOW factor. It still looks amazing to me. It is a timeless design. There are a few cars like that to me; McLaren F1, Ferrari F40, Countach, 911 (bulging eye era), Zonda, Muira.

I got a WOW factor from the 458 when I first saw the pics, but it has worn off a bit. Actually, I like certain angles, I agree with the colors everyone else likes being better, it looks more fresh and newer than the G, but the G still looks like a legend. The Gallardo, IMHO, is a Concorde moment on the looks department of cars. It is just that beautiful. It is so amazing, it is hard to imagine how they can make a better looking replacement. It is almost like the car should go like a 911, with subtle changes and stay the same name. It is a modern timeless classic.

The guys at Lexus responsible for the LFA's marketing are colossal idiots and should have never been given the job in the first place.

I pretty much said this to myself when I was driving home from Boston, and three different digital billboards had advertisements for the LFA. So out of place.