50 to 55" TV suggestions?

Chimay52

:icon_mrgreen:

I hope my recommendations helped & he is enjoying what he bought.

he's primarily using it to watch sports, soccer in particular, in HD the picture is quite amazing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shipping should not be your worry; your main concern should be servicing if something goes wrong. Ensure the set is "CSA-Certified" otherwise the Canadian service centre has a right to refuse servicing it.

Thanks, I will probably just buy locally because of the service thing.

There are a lot of great suggestions and ideas in this thread, but I won't be going with 3D. I just don't need it.

We don't watch a lot of movies and the resolution right now of our games is fine for my kids. In fact, the XBOX isn't even hooked up to a high-def hookup to the TV (which is why I'm buying a new one, there aren't enough high def hookups for the things we have).

Right now the Wii and our Bell TV are hooked up to the only 2 high def inputs the TV has. When we want to watch Blu Ray, we have to unhook the Wii and plug it in.

So, I just need a really good TV to replace this, 50 to 55", no 3D required and not a lot of bells and whistles needed, just good picture quality.

On a related note, the TV's I keep looking at mention if they are 120hz or 240hz, with of course the 240 being more expensive.

Should I be looking for 240hz or does it really matter all that much?

On a related note, the TV's I keep looking at mention if they are 120hz or 240hz, with of course the 240 being more expensive.

Should I be looking for 240hz or does it really matter all that much?

240hz is over kill most agree, some dislike the look of 240hz. 120hz should be fine for your uses. This hz race reminds me of the digi cam megapixel marketing gimmicks.

Also, you mentioned your wii is connected to one of your hd inputs, but I don't think the wii produced hd content so you could hook that up anywhere on the Tv.

240hz is over kill most agree, some dislike the look of 240hz. 120hz should be fine for your uses. This hz race reminds me of the digi cam megapixel marketing gimmicks.

Also, you mentioned your wii is connected to one of your hd inputs, but I don't think the wii produced hd content so you could hook that up anywhere on the Tv.

The only reason the Wii is hooked up to an hd input is because I only have the hd cable with the 5 input connector. I cannot find the regular one that came with it, but I can certainly buy another one as you are correct, there is no "High Def" associated with Wii.

Interesting about the 240 vs 120, if it doesn't matter, I would be happy going with the 120 as there are more choices for better prices.

The only reason the Wii is hooked up to an hd input is because I only have the hd cable with the 5 input connector. I cannot find the regular one that came with it, but I can certainly buy another one as you are correct, there is no "High Def" associated with Wii.

Interesting about the 240 vs 120, if it doesn't matter, I would be happy going with the 120 as there are more choices for better prices.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but I heard some people say 240hz might hurt your eye?

I don't know what I'm talking about, but I heard some people say 240hz might hurt your eye?

Depends, I don't think it'll go as far as hurting one's eyes but some people are troubled by it while others don't sense a thing. Very subjective and varies from each person. Some sets go up as far as 600Hz now.

Depends, I don't think it'll go as far as hurting one's eyes but some people are troubled by it while others don't sense a thing. Very subjective and varies from each person. Some sets go up as far as 600Hz now.

In your opinion is 120hz probably sufficient for people like myself that aren't serious gamers or movie buffs?

High definition hockey and some XBOX games are really all we care about.

In your opinion is 120hz probably sufficient for people like myself that aren't serious gamers or movie buffs?

High definition hockey and some XBOX games are really all we care about.

Tough call --- games are fine (even for serious gamers). Movie is fine too so long as it's not the constant fast action type. Hockey, well... it's a pretty fast moving sports and the puck is small. To be specific, 120Hz is "sufficient" but higher IS better. Go to Future Shop or Best Buy during a hockey game night and do a comparison there. Make sure both sets (120Hz vs 240Hz) are from the same brand otherwise it won't be fair.

Your "Leafs" aren't doing too well this season. (Waffle) :icon_mrgreen:

Your "Leafs" aren't doing too well this season. (Waffle) :icon_mrgreen:

I have hated the Leafs since I was old enough to watch hockey.

If I was at the games I wouldn't be throwing waffles at them, I'd be throwing the whole waffle iron.

Go AVS!

I have hated the Leafs since I was old enough to watch hockey.

If I was at the games I wouldn't be throwing waffles at them, I'd be throwing the whole waffle iron.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Are you sure GT5 features 3D?

If it does, Dam I have to get a 3D LED now. soo expensive..

I'm sure you can find a good chinese knock off if it's soo expensive. :icon_mrgreen:

I'm sure you can find a good chinese knock off if it's soo expensive. :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_mrgreen:

Actually, I was looking at Konka, they're normally lot cheaper and good quility too, but the Chinese seems to be so behind the Jap and Koreans.

The LG LED 3D seems to be nice but still too expensive :eusa_wall:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photo...n-343044695.htm

• 2 years later...

So I figured instead of start a new thread, I'd just ask here. I am thinking of buying a new 40" flatscreen. One that has peaked my interest is the Samsung Smart TV. Is that a good TV to buy or is it a waste for a bunch of useless features?

EDIT: After reading the thread, I see that there are some quality control complaints about Samsung? Also, is 60 Hz adequate for a TV, or should it be at a minimum 120 Hz?

Mine goes to 240 but actually looks better at 120. I personally wouldn't think 60 will get it done.

Have you considered a nice plasma?

Mine goes to 240 but actually looks better at 120. I personally wouldn't think 60 will get it done.

Have you considered a nice plasma?

From what I've read, plasma is considered obsolete?

From what I've read, plasma is considered obsolete?

Huh? Stop being pummeled by advertising. The Panasonic ZT and VT series plasmas kick the Shit out of pretty much every other tv on the market. I like LED for bright rooms, but you're definitely giving up picture quality to a nice plasma.

Go read CNET and get back to us.

Huh? Stop being pummeled by advertising. The Panasonic ZT and VT series plasmas kick the Shit out of pretty much every other tv on the market. I like LED for bright rooms, but you're definitely giving up picture quality to a nice plasma.

Go read CNET and get back to us.

Okay, but it was post #21 where Fortis quotes VCR, who said that he sees plasmas as obsolete.

Edit: Not trying to say you are wrong on plasmas, just wanted to point out where I got that opinion from.

Wheels, plasma IS an obsolete technology as no one is throwing $ to R&D it further for a new breakthrough. That is not to say, however, that no one is making them; just that you are not going to see any quantum leap improvement from plasma. IMO an only MO, the technology behind plasma is inherently dangerous. But plasma tv of today, as aforesaid, does run a lot cooler in temperature and that is a good thing. And plasma has its quality and fans: virtually nothing compares to plasma on its rendition of black and its red is impressive as well. I don't like plasma technology but I never said I don't like its picture quality.

Keep in mind that this thread started in 2010 so the recommendations and comments are fairly outdated given the advancement of tv technology.

Lastly, 60Hz isn't going to cut it at all. Your need at least 120Hz and nowadays, the price difference is negligible.

Wheels, plasma IS an obsolete technology as no one is throwing $ to R&D it further for a new breakthrough. That is not to say, however, that no one is making them; just that you are not going to see any quantum leap improvement from plasma. IMO an only MO, the technology behind plasma is inherently dangerous. But plasma tv of today, as aforesaid, does run a lot cooler in temperature and that is a good thing. And plasma has its quality and fans: virtually nothing compares to plasma on its rendition of black and its red is impressive as well. I don't like plasma technology but I never said I don't like its picture quality.

Keep in mind that this thread started in 2010 so the recommendations and comments are fairly outdated given the advancement of tv technology.

Lastly, 60Hz isn't going to cut it at all. Your need at least 120Hz and nowadays, the price difference is negligible.

Thankyou for the information. It really is amazing how fast this technology advances. Why is it that no one is researching plasma anymore? Does it use too much energy or something? Or the manufacturers view it as dangerous?

Yes, yes, and I'm betting better margins on LED. Plus they run on 1/10 the energy and don't weight 300 lbs.

You never said what your budget was, where it's going, or the details on the room.

I do love a good quality plasma, in the right setting, which is a nearly black room. In my living room where I have several hundred square feet of windows and afternoon Sun, it's just not the right place. A matte screen LED fcuking rocks there.

Shame the DLP's are gone...I still love my 73' DLP...

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread since my next TV search will probably start in a few months so be set to learn up.