7.2 quake rocks japan

Roman

Thankfully, Japan has been utilizing strict earthquake codes in building construction for years or the aftermath would have been total devastation.

Hats off to the engineers!

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japan faces these kind of natural disasters all the time.As a community they can over come from this soon.

40 miles interdiction around Fukushima nuclear power plant, nobody is allowed to go in.

total evacuation within 15 miles range from Fukushima nuclear power plant

reactor gone

nuclear disaster incoming

God save them

There's new images coming in today showing whole towns being consumed by the tsunami. People have continued filming as the giant waves head inland towards them. Whole buildings have been swept away by the waves and are floating like boats and crashing into other buildings. The images are awful.

40 miles interdiction around Fukushima nuclear power plant, nobody is allowed to go in.

total evacuation within 15 miles range from Fukushima nuclear power plant

reactor gone

nuclear disaster incoming

God save them

I'm still skeptical. As a licensed engineer, I have been legitimately "owned" by the experts in the field here before when I questioned the possibility of a modern meltdown. In all seriousness, I hope this is just sensationalism by the media.

We have some very legit resources on this board, and I will stand by their previous assessments.

God save them

yeah right... :eusa_wall:

from the way i see it..we should stop relying on that...humans need to saves themselves and people need to help one another..

yeah right... :eusa_wall:

from the way i see it..we should stop relying on that...humans need to saves themselves and people need to help one another..

I don't think Albert was being literal...

Since I am not familiar with how these powerplants work, what is worse case scenario if one of them is not able to cool itself down?

Since I am not familiar with how these powerplants work, what is worse case scenario if one of them is not able to cool itself down?

Melting of the Nuclear Material (has apparently already happened) and breach of the reactor core. (Chernobyl)

Melting of the Nuclear Material (has apparently already happened) and breach of the reactor core. (Chernobyl)

and ? what will happen after that ?

what;s the worst case scenario ?

One plant has already exploded.

Effects - Health problems for many, many years to come if not contained, to say the least. (Saw that it has already leaked out).

Got to know my friends there are alright. Hope all other countries help out Japan.

CNN just interviewed an expert, who said that the explosion was hydrogen related, and that he doesn't think that anything similar to Chernobyl will happen. He said that it was an issue that must be handled with extreme care, and that the typical limit for a year was released in one hour.

I was making breakfast so I may have missed some points of his interview, but this is what I got from it.

CNN just interviewed an expert, who said that the explosion was hydrogen related, and that he doesn't think that anything similar to Chernobyl will happen. He said that it was an issue that must be handled with extreme care, and that the typical limit for a year was released in one hour.

I was making breakfast so I may have missed some points of his interview, but this is what I got from it.

One plant has already exploded.

Effects - Health problems for many, many years to come if not contained, to say the least. (Saw that it has already leaked out).

Got to know my friends there are alright. Hope all other countries help out Japan.

Lot of mis-information flying about and I actually think it is sad that the focus of this tragedy has been 98% toward the reactor incident which is like dismissing the many many people that have already died.

The media knows that pictures of dead people does not sell advert time so they have camped with a long lens trained on a building and whilst speculating madly.

Some say that the reactor was closed down earlier preventing a greater environment impact should it meltdown completely but the fact is that public and press should never ever find out what goes on in those buildings for security reasons.

and ? what will happen after that ?

what;s the worst case scenario ?

Chernobyl is the worst case scenario- The reactor temperature becomes uncontrollable, The fuel rods melt, A fire and or explosion results that breaches the reactor containment structure spreading radioactive material for miles around, basically creating a "no go zone" for millennium to come. People in the immediate vicinity die within days or weeks from radiation poisoning, hundreds or thousands suffer long term health risks.

An explosion at a Nuclear Power Plant (which is all thats being reported) could be anything....

Chernobyl is the worst case scenario- The reactor temperature becomes uncontrollable, The fuel rods melt, A fire and or explosion results that breaches the reactor containment structure spreading radioactive material for miles around, basically creating a "no go zone" for millennium to come. People in the immediate vicinity die within days or weeks from radiation poisoning, hundreds or thousands suffer long term health risks.

An explosion at a Nuclear Power Plant (which is all thats being reported) could be anything....

:shock:

(CNN) -- An explosion at an earthquake-struck nuclear plant was not caused by damage to the nuclear reactor but by a pumping system that failed as crews tried to bring the reactor's temperature down, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said Saturday.

Workers at the Fukushima Daiichi plant have begun flooding the reactor containment structure with sea water to bring the reactor's temperature down to safe levels, he said. The effort is expected to take two days.

Radiation levels have fallen since the explosion and there is no immediate danger, Edano said. But authorities were nevertheless expanding the evacuation to include a radius of 20 kilometers (about 12.5 miles) around the plant. The evacuation previously reached out to 10 kilometers.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/1...dex.html?hpt=T1

The media knows that pictures of dead people does not sell advert time so they have camped with a long lens trained on a building and whilst speculating madly.

Some say that the reactor was closed down earlier preventing a greater environment impact should it meltdown completely but the fact is that public and press should never ever find out what goes on in those buildings for security reasons.

I'd imagine the media are licking their lips at the chance of a mushroom cloud. Unfortunately for the media, but fortunately for the Japanese and all other nuclear stations, a uranium isotope capable of fast neutron chain reactions isn't used in most power generation reactors. And even if they did, it requires a very precise chain of events for a fast atomic reaction to occur. So any "explosion" at a nuclear facility is not going to be like an atomic bomb. Period.

RomanDad covered the total meltdown scenario, and even that is highly unlikely. The Japanese are wisely taking all precautions, but I'm quite confident they have it under control and it won't be a major problem. As far as I'm concerned, this is a non-issue compared to the devastation that has already occurred.