My first maintenance window

Kerplop

A local Porsche friend of mine is always swapping help with each other. Each time he sells one and gets a new one, we help each other with our cars. Lets me use his lift and in return I help him. This time around he got a 912 and I needed to do my engine out maintenance on the 911.. But for those that haven't actually seen one out or seen one worked on I figured I'd post pictures.

Here we are dropping the engine

IMG_20110417_171431.jpg

IMG_20110417_171437.jpg

Finally rolled out and ready to be worked on.

DSC_0246.jpg

You'll note that it is pretty dirt, things look worn, things are old. It really needed to be gone though.

List of things "While it is out" and "While I am down there"...

- Valve adjustment

- Full tuneup (cap, rotor, plugs, wires)

- Oil pressure sensor

- Vacuum lines (Thought i got them all, not the case)

- Throttle linkage fix on transmission and top of engine

- Heater box adjustment

- Exhaust inspection

- New clutch

- New pressure plate

- New throwout and pilot bearing

- New mounting hardware

- Clean up transmission inside and out, CAKED in grime, rocks you name it.

- Swepco 201 flush on the tranny

- Replace S oil line to oil tank

- Sump seals

- New motor/transmission mounts

- Refresh all extra grounds not accessible with engine in car

- PB Blast the aux air valve to make sure no crap sticks in it.

- Remove the last of the A/C system that is mostly deleted.

- New crankshaft seal

Got everything but the throttle fixed. Waiting on the bushings since I ordered the wrong part # for it... figured that the ONE thing that has to be fixed on the list has to be fixed with engine out. Either that or remove ALL the CIS crap and then do it... better to just wait a day, get the part and do it right.

Anyway on with the progress.

DSC_0247.jpg

Found out my clutch issue and why it chattered... Long story short after visual inspection we suspected that perhaps the flywheel was machined wrong. If you look close the outer ring is worn and hot spots all over it, you can still see the ORIGINAL machining marks on the inner ring, meaning the clutch was making little contact with it, hence the horrific chatter I was getting. Once I got it to a machine shop it was ground correctly and they confirmed it was indeed tapered. So someone didn't line it up true...

DSC_0249.jpg

Prettyyyyy dirty.

DSC_0253.jpg

All these AC lines are going bye bye

DSC_0255.jpg

Adjusting the valves.

DSC_0258.jpg

The nuts were good, nothing cracking. Clearances all checked out on valves and the play seemed fine.

DSC_0259.jpg

Cleaned up the engine. Replaced all parts I needed. New clutch installed.

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

Happy flywheel

DSC_0264.jpg

Happy pressure plate

DSC_0266.jpg

Just before I put in the crankshaft seal

DSC_0262.jpg

Much more clean than before. Before.

DSC_0253.jpg

After.

DSC_0281.jpg

Anyway...

Figured someone would find it interesting so I figured I'd share pics. I try to always document with pics on my maintenance windows just because it's fun to see how far a vehicle has come and perhaps any details that were missed.

Just for shits and giggles...

When I first got the car.

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

Powder coating and a significant cleanup of the engine.

DSC_0214.jpg

Detailing the engine.

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

And now

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0275-1.jpg

I'll post pics when she's all together and back on the road. Sure felt good to go through everything and "make it right" and get the car where it needed to be. It ran fine the way it was.... but now I don't have to question it's condition. I KNOW where it is, I KNOW what needs to be done and I have NO questions where it is at now.

Looks great Derek, your skills always impress me! I WISH I had the mechanical know-how to tackle some of the tasks you do. Im the type of guy that can turn a headlight replacement into an afternoon of swearing and bloody hands. :lol2:

Keep having fun with her! :)

Looks great Derek, your skills always impress me! I WISH I had the mechanical know-how to tackle some of the tasks you do. Im the type of guy that can turn a headlight replacement into an afternoon of swearing and bloody hands. :lol2:

Same here. I wish I could do stuff like that.

:icon_thumleft: :iamwithstupid:

:iamwithstupid:

If I had the knowledge and inherent mechanical know-how, I would own a much older car - like an old Porsche, and daily drive that bitch!

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm glad you guys like the pictures.

Here's the 912 my buddy bought that we'll be working on here shortly.

IMG_20110418_124604.jpg

IMG_20110418_124628.jpg

I'm truly jealous of how clean his engine is lol.

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0288-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the kind comments :) I am sorry I haven't posted the pics with it back in. I'm a stickler for detail, so I'd prefer to detail the car and such first then post pics. Probably next day off or something. But thank you again :)

Here is the first pics of the engine back in the car now that I've detailed the car.

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

Just so you have a side by side... HUGE amount of space now that the A/C is gone! (This is a before photo) - Not only is it a piece of cake to do valves now on the top end, but I can actually work in crap in the engine bay, holy moly :P

DSC_0216.jpg

• 3 months later...

Rather than cluttering with a bunch of threads, figured I'd add to this today.

IMG_20110913_145139.jpg

Intake manifold seals were shot, no wonder I had a vacuum leak that wouldn't trace. I tried looking all over and couldn't find it. Buddy of mine suggested the intake tube seals saying they are a common culprit. Soon as I took the loose a little on cylinder #6 I could smell gas bad. Gee... I wonder why... No more hunting idle, no stuttering, smooth powerband, happy engine all over again :) Wished I had done these while I had the engine out! These are a PAIN IN THE F***ING ASS TO DO.