TOP GEAR INVENTAHOR

Allan-Herbie

If I wore a hat, I’d also tip it at any Lamborghini that drives by. Since I don’t, I usually just smile to myself or maybe even applaud the driver lightly. Thank God there are Lamborghini owners in the world, bringing these absurdist performance artworks, this automotive pageantry, out onto the streets for the rest of us to enjoy. Lambos are the perfect riposte to po-faced Ferraris and overpowered German executive saloons, and no matter how good the day already is, it improves on the appearance of a Lambo.

Here's a new one, the Aventador: 6.5 litres of V12 pumping Italian piston power shrouded in a body built from carbon fibre and aluminium, and then artfully arranged on double-wishbone and pushrod racecar suspension. Nice, isn't it? I've got the fizz. Being a Lamborghini means it's a supercar and therefore rather useless, but as Ovid told us, that may simply make it art. Anyway, the Albert Memorial is useless, and we're quite happy with that.

I must say it's a long time since I studied the shape of a new car like I did this Lamborghini's. In broad terms, it's very Lamborghini-shaped: cab forward, long wheelbase, a fat arse and a general sense of bulk at the rear tapering to relatively bugger-all at the front. The windscreen is steeply raked and makes only a token effort at levelling out for that bit in the nose where you put your ‘soft overnight bag'.

The more you look at it, though, the more interesting it becomes. The back seems to have been inspired by some kitchen implement designed to cut vegetables into interesting patterns. In fact, the whole car is based around a simple and infinitely variable stylistic theme that is technically a plumped-up quadrilateral, but that we'll call a lozenge. For the musically inclined, this basic lozenge shape is like the subject of a Bach fugue. The more you listen, the more you notice it cropping up where you didn't notice it last time.

It's in the wheel spokes, the lights, the various vents and ducts, the glass slats over the engine bay, the mirrors, the stalks the mirrors are mounted on, and so on and so on. There's always another detail springing from lozenge philosophy waiting to surprise you.

Look, for example, at the curious and delicious relationship between the rear wheel and its arch. The wheel is necessarily round, but the arch isn't a regular curve. It's been corrupted slightly by The Lozenge. It's wonderful. There's the odd departure as well, such as the way a rear haunch appears from the three-quarter angle. It looks like a damp dock leaf draped over the hip of a naked supermodel.Look, I know it's all a bit childish, and there's more than a hint of Transformers about it. It even has an extending wing thing at the back. But it can't be dismissed as simply a masturbatory pubescent fantasy, as some would have it, because it's much, much cleverer than that.

We have three Aventadors to play with, a black one, a white one and an orange one. I choose orange. For one thing, the colour lends a soft and slightly chewy quality to the complex shape, but more to the point, this is a Lamborghini, and there's no point in trying to be cool about it. You're going to look a bit of a berk anyway.

Climbing aboard, the first thing I notice is that a Lambo still doesn't smell as nice as a FERRARI. The second is the first of several signs that this sort of car is beginning to seem like a bit of a DINOSAUR. It's a fair old clamber, to be honest, and pulling the scissor door shut feels like an operation that will one day put my back out.

There's more lozengy tomfoolery in here, notably in the instrument binnacle, which is doubtless designed to make the driver feel like a fighter pilot. Then there's the engine start button, which lives under a red flap on the centre console. Don't be ridiculous, Lambo! It's only a car.

Press this, and the engine starts with an indulgent blip up to about 3,000rpm, which is a bit embarrassing in public. The instruments come alive, glowing in blues and yellows like the face of an IWC Jacques Cousteau diver's watch. Rev the engine, and the sweeping tacho needle colours the scale in as it passes; select a gear with the paddles, and the appropriate number enlarges like the icons down the bottom of an Apple Mac screen. But 'tis all illusory, as these are actually screens.

This means they are, to some extent, reconfigurable. Hold a button on the end of the wiper stalk, and the dominant central dial can be switched between rev-counter and speedo. I choose the rev-counter, because I'm abroad, and so the actual speed doesn't matter.

There are too many buttons in here, though, including some for voice control, phonebooks, and what have you. Are they expecting me to do some work? Somehow, communications and satnav yoke my soul to the drudgery of the everyday. All I want to do in my Lambo is drive around. How can they take such a purist and uncompromising stance on the engine, the structure and the suspension, and then clutter the cabin with the trappings of admin? I blame Audi. Just because you have this stuff in a cupboard somewhere, doesn't mean you have to use it on every car. I don't put balsamic vinegar on my Sugar Puffs.

More relevant buttons include those that change the engine, gearbox and suspension settings between Strada (road), Sport (sport) and Corsa (track), and the traction control switch, which I'm forbidden to touch on this car. Fine by me.

Other things I notice: the seats are good. The dash reflects annoyingly in the windscreen, but would, because it is the size of a squash court. The engine sounds restrained. Now that's a bit of a surprise.

It's definitely a V12 sound, but quite old-fashioned and mechanical, definitely created by things going up and down and round and round rather than by any creative tampering with the exhaust. Smooth, too, and fairly quiet. This Lamborghini is refined

Select first; pull away. This is not a trendy double-clutch gearbox, but a robotic manual that now seems as OLD as the hat worn by Henry Ford, mentioned above. It was done this way to save weight and space, but also to give the driver, says Lamborghini, "the emotion of the shifting". I've no idea what they're talking about.

Initial pull-away can be difficult to achieve smoothly, and sometimes, just as you lift off at a crawl, the clutch decides to engage fully, meaning the function of the accelerator seems to have been reversed. But once on the move, it works rather well.

On the move, however, is where the Aventador frustrates me slightly. First up, the relationship between the driving position and the car's extremes conspire to make it feel wider than it is. Trouble is, it's already very wide, and the extra margin at the nearside, added out of neurosis, can make oncoming traffic intimidating. Progress is constantly interrupted by the fear of planting a catastrophic kiss on the side of a Fiat Doblo.

This is the great paradox of the supercar. A car with enormous grip and slingshot acceleration ought to be most fun on a winding road. But the quest for power begets bulk and ultimately width, meaning that pleasant, scenic B-road is the one where the car can't be used with confidence. Most really nice roads, in Europe at least, tend to be narrow.

Visibility is also a bit shonky, and at any oblique junction you really need a small boy walking ahead with a series of coloured flags.

I find a broader bit of tarmac and give it the beans. The acceleration is, of course, apocalyptic, and a fantastic and hitherto-unknown world of hairy overtaking opportunities presents itself. Something nice happens in the furious thrashings of the engine at around 3,500rpm, where a faint and faintly foreboding dark rumble asserts itself.

Drop it down a few cogs for a truly ballistic passing manoeuvre, and something else interesting happens. As the power piles in, the front shimmies slightly before settling down and providing lovely meaty but fast-acting steering feel. It's a fleeting thing, this, but feels like an intimacy. It's lovely.

The ride, unsurprisingly, is pretty tough, even in the Strada setting. But it's a sophisticated sort of firmness, born, I suspect, from the rigidity of the bodyshell (a carbon-fibre monocoque with aluminium used for the opening bits), which, as we know, frees the suspension engineer to do his best work without having to accommodate the bendiness of the superstructure.

Given that a supercar is actually largely unusable on the real road, all this could be done away with and the ride made more bearable. But somehow this wouldn't be right. The quest for stiffness and the equally unbending insistence on using proper track-car suspension gives the Aventador credibility, and, in a strange way, permits the extravagances of the stylist. If it were not a serious performance car at heart, it would be naught but a novelty item. This is why we like wristwatches that have been to the moon, even though we only wear them down the pub.

So I stick it in Sport. The ride stiffens up even further, the throttle response becomes a little crisper, and the gearchanges more vicious. More overtakes are committed, leaving a broadening wake of good humour behind the Aventador. At least I hope so. There goes a prat in a bright orange Lamborghini. You have to laugh, surely?

But it still feels a bit too wide.

So I find an autostrada and, weirdly, the Aventador starts to make more sense than it has all day. It helps that Italy's motorways, especially in the South, have proper bends in them, a legacy of their development after the war from more mundane roads.

At high speed (whatever it is; I've still got the tacho up, and the speed is just a number in a window somewhere), it settles down nicely. Peak power of 690bhp means there is always the luxury of lots of it in reserve, and the ride improves. As I said, the seats are great, and the poor over-the-shoulder visibility becomes less of a problem, because the mirrors are actually excellent when everyone's going the same way.

Great, long sweepers are dispatched in the curling echo of a V12, etc., etc., etc. It's exciting, it feels planted.

What really amazes me, though, is that the Aventador is just so damned civilised. The engine delivers its muted howl, it transmits enough fascinating tremors through the buttocks and fingertips, it nags away behind your head very slightly. But it's never granular, or intrusive, and it never booms. It's a creamy soup with a few interesting solid bits in it. This Lambo is relaxing.

It seems, unbelievably, to be the perfect GT car; it's thrilling to contemplate, feels special to be in, and can deliver pure delirium on demand. But on big roads, it's easy to deal with and covers ground spectacularly. And a treat always awaits you on arrival, because you can climb out, step back a few paces and marvel again at that wonderful shape. It is, in effect, designed to go round a circuit, but to me it feels like a holiday experience.

Yes, yes, yes, I know, I know, I know. The luggage bin at the front is a bit small. But that's a good thing, surely? It encourages the rejection of frippery and focuses the mind.

And, unless I'm mistaken, that's exactly what a supercar is supposed to do.

Source: James May. Three Lambo Aventadors. - BBC Top Gear

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key words....

It seems, unbelievably, to be the perfect GT car; it's thrilling to contemplate, feels special to be in, and can deliver pure delirium on demand.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Key words....

OLD

DINOSAUR

He's calling it a dinosaur because the controls and the doors are too big and heavy for an old man like him to use.

Other key words:

SMOOTH

REFINED

QUIET

EXCITING

PLANTED

INTERESTING SHAPE

He's calling it a dinosaur because the controls and the doors are too big and heavy for an old man like him to use.

Other key words:

SMOOTH

REFINED

QUIET

EXCITING

PLANTED

INTERESTING SHAPE

I prefer OLD AND DINOSAUR...

Again, no doubt the car will be a fun car to drive.. No doubt it looks like nothing else out there, no doubt I will own one..

What is being said is that every gripe many of us brought up, was mentioned..

The back, is the cars worst angle..

The interior is very strange

The transmission is lacking...

If these were addressed, atleast the transmission... this car would be a knockout.. 10/10... now its an 8/10

Again, no doubt the car will be a fun car to drive.. No doubt it looks like nothing else out there, no doubt I will own one..

What is being said is that every gripe many of us brought up, was mentioned..

The back, is the cars worst angle..

If these were addressed, atleast the transmission... this car would be a knockout.. 10/10... now its an 8/10

Interior is definitely "busier" than the Murci but I think it's a great move forward. I'm really hoping they offer a CF or piano black option for the silver pieces in the future.

Best part is that us tall guys can finally fit comfortably!

The back is the cars worst angle..

1. I agree, the back isn't the best shot on the car, nor is that. one. shot. on the front A-pillars that makes it look like an oversized Gallardo.

2. What's wrong with the interior? Too Audi-esque? If some corporate decision equates to your flagship super car being riddled with reliable switchgear, I'd say that's a fair price to pay. Aston Martin would do well to take that deal.

3. How much do you want to bet they're saving the transmission update for the LP-740/60 SV? The transmission isn't the most up-to-date unit out there, but comparing a single clutch to a DCT is like comparing steel brakes to carbon ceramic. The steel brakes have more "feel" while the CCBs are more efficient. It depends on what your in the mood for.

1. I agree, the back isn't the best shot on the car, nor is that. one. shot. on the front A-pillars that makes it look like an oversized Gallardo.

2. What's wrong with the interior? Too Audi-esque? If some corporate decision equates to your flagship super car being riddled with reliable switchgear, I'd say that's a fair price to pay. Aston Martin would do well to take that deal.

3. How much do you want to bet they're saving the transmission update for the LP-740/60 SV? The transmission isn't the most up-to-date unit out there, but comparing a single clutch to a DCT is like comparing steel brakes to carbon ceramic. The steel brakes have more "feel" while the CCBs are more efficient. It depends on what your in the mood for.

Unless they are like the CCBs of the 458, and then you get the best of both worlds... :icon_mrgreen:

The rear is the best thing about the car. Spend some time behind one!

The interior is unusual. No other car has ever had anything like it. Reminds me of sitting in a single seater fighter jet. A little strange a first but addictive.

Don't knock the trans until you have shifted one. If you want a DCT go get a S4.

The car is phenomenal. The only fault may be that it is too easy.

The rear is the best thing about the car. Spend some time behind one!

The interior is unusual. No other car has ever had anything like it. Reminds me of sitting in a single seater fighter jet. A little strange a first but addictive.

Don't knock the trans until you have shifted one. If you want a DCT go get a S4.

The car is phenomenal. The only fault may be that it is too easy.

Definitely not...

Guest Rob Burgundy

Im sure the Ferrari fags will sleep better at night now.

Sure the Aventador blows the fcuking doors off of my prancing donkey,gets a ton more looks and doesnt come with matching shoes BUT my car smells better,James May from TOPGEAR SAID SO! :insertsnootyjpg.

Im sure the Ferrari fags will sleep better at night now.

Sure the Aventador blows the fcuking doors off of my prancing donkey,gets a ton more looks and doesnt come with matching shoes BUT my car smells better,James May from TOPGEAR SAID SO! :insertsnootyjpg.

I will!

Is'nt James May AKA Captain Slow? HHHMMM.

Exactly.

I was reading it thinking it didn't sound like it was coming from Jeremy Clarkson.

You know, technically the term "dinosaur" should mean "so perfectly adapted and so dominant that nothing else stands a chance". If the world hadn't been torched by the simultaneous combination of a giant space rock, continent-sized volcanic eruptions and vast landmasses violently fcuking each other, there'd never have been a mammal larger or more sophisticated than a dog.

Definitely not...

Your opinion . . . and that is all it is worth. I couldn't form a strong opinion until I spent 5 days around two of them. My stated opinions are my own and your mileage may vary. I think this car will cause strong emotions (both positive and negative) in many. It is a much different animal than I thought we were dealing with and nothing like the current or past Gallardo, Murcie, etc in form or function.

I find all the LP bashing on the FF a bit weird, if I was a lambo owner, I would applaud Ferrari for making this four seater car (regardless of the styling) and bash the Lambo directory board for not making an alternative for its costumers. :eusa_think:

I find all the LP bashing on the FF a bit weird, if I was a lambo owner, I would applaud Ferrari for making this four seater car (regardless of the styling) and bash the Lambo directory board for not making an alternative for its costumers. :eusa_think:

we are bashing it cause it's FUGLY and expensive