My Toshiba LCD TV went out!

murcivu

Anyone else?! Had it for less than a yr & it just went out. Would not even power on. On the other hand, my Samsung lasted for almost 8 yrs & still going strong.

If it's less than a year old I imagine it is still under a manufacturer warranty.

And if your Samsung is 8 years old I doubt it's LCD...so apples/oranges.

If it's less than a year old I imagine it is still under a manufacturer warranty.

Sorry...I meant plasma.

samsung and sony seem to be more reliable. something to consider in your next purchase.

there are people that repair these on craigslist. i sold my broken tv to a guy who fixes these and resell them. great business model that saves the environment.

Our 40" Toshiba is about 3 years old. There is a vertical line through the picture about 5 inches from the left edge. Barely noticeable when the image is dark. When the image is light it's very noticeable (drives hubby crazy). Very disappointing.

We have mostly Sony - they don't seem to die (we end up giving them away when we replace them). We bought the Toshiba because it was the only 40" available (at the time) that fit the space.

Just bought a Samsung last week (50"). Seemed like the best TV in the category for price/features...

Bought my first Samsun back in 07. It died 10 months later and they replaced it. As a matter of fact they didn't make my model anymore and the next 2 models (replacement and step up) were back ordered. They offer me the 2nd best model they made at the time or the top of the line for 50% of the difference. I choose the 2nd to best since I didn't want to spend $ at the time.

Mine have all been good thus far, but they are panasonic.

But this is the very reason I try to buy TV's from Costco, they double the mfg warranty (usually 1yr, turns into 2) and if that model has been superseded, you get the latest greatest.

Mine have all been good thus far, but they are panasonic.

But this is the very reason I try to buy TV's from Costco, they double the mfg warranty (usually 1yr, turns into 2) and if that model has been superseded, you get the latest greatest.

Thx. I'll look into that!

I've said this years ago. Regardless of brand, "modern" tv's have a higher tendency to fail compare to say a 15-year old set. (Keep in mind that I'm not talking about picture quality or how thin and/or flat the design is.)

This is mostly due to our environmentally-conscious bandwagon. It has to do with the solder. Modern sets which are supposedly "greener" use solder that has a lower lead content and the components don't bond as well to the PCB. Poor solder = poor contact = poor component connections = circuit failure = there goes the tv. And there really isn't much ground on defending for the environment-friendly BS either. A failed set --- even factoring in recyclable materials --- is still a larger piece of junk and likely more toxic than a few circuit boards with regular solder.

Not going to comment on Samsung TV anymore. Those who know me already knew where I stand and those who don't likely won't believe me anyway; your $$, your tv and yours to discover.

samsung and sony seem to be more reliable. something to consider in your next purchase.

there are people that repair these on craigslist. i sold my broken tv to a guy who fixes these and resell them. great business model that saves the environment.

The funny part is that most of the time it is just a blown capacitor in the power supply or another 5 cent component. Just a quick part swap and you can be back and running. (or even just a resolder of a part like VCR said) He isn't too concerned about the enviroment... just a good way to make money if you know what you are doing! ha

I had a simular problem with a Phillips. The TV repair man said it would be too expensive and suggested just buying a new TV. I searched the internet using "no picture, Phillips plasma" and the TV model #. I found an electrical guru forum that identified the problem as most likely being a $2.00 capasitor. I had never worked with electronics or soldering irons before but for about $20 (capasitor and iron), I thought it would be worth a shot. It was easier than I expected and it only took me about an hour. Most of the time was spent taking appart and reassembling the TV. The 50" Phillips has worked perfectly since I did the repair 3 years ago.