S5000 FI back from the shop but...

kidzvillage

Hello Everybody, I would appreciate your comments on a slight problem I have with my recently heavily repaired CT. It got some serious engine re-building and my mechanic really spent time on it. (One year!) I finally got my S5000 back, but the mechanic said that there was this strange leak after driving for a while, when you have the car parked for a while there is a puddle of oil, and he has had a really difficult time finding the leak. After the initial puddle the car is as dry as a Martini. Does anybody have had a similar experience? I appreciate your stories! and suggestions.

post-9089-1315365223_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1315365258_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1315365281_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1315365310_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those lambo emblems need to go!

Ok...I agree...they were a present, so I put them on. But you're right. I admit they do not belong there. (I saw a Japanese video of a CT with FERRARI EMBLEMS on!) That is worse).

Looks like gear oil.

Every countach I've seen leaks gear oil.

Check how it smells. If it's awful, it's gear oil.

Solution is to re-do the seals where the engine meets the trans.

Ok...I agree...they were a present, so I put them on. But you're right. I admit they do not belong there. (I saw a Japanese video of a CT with FERRARI EMBLEMS on!) That is worse).

Yes! Otherwise car looks great! Congrats!

Yes! Otherwise car looks great! Congrats!

Ok, Voila. It is true, the leaking oil smells awful. It is gear oil. That two cents comment was gold. Thanks!

post-9089-1315367885_thumb.jpg

Looks like gear oil.

Every countach I've seen leaks gear oil.

Mine does not leak any oil what-so-ever.

The best way is to clean very well, take for a drive and let sit - check around the differetial where the shafts attach.

Very nice car, some engine pics?

Well worth the wait!

Alex

I never cured the leak even after seven years of ownership. The leak is from the driveshaft seal, complete engine out to do it. I replaced mine at least three times, but always a small leak. You will find it does not leak so much when diven as the seal expands, then when you stop it cools and leaks again.

Live with it until the motor has to come out again. :)

Look great. I have a few drops from the rear cover, nothing I'm worried about though.

If it is dry now and hasnt leaked since the initial run, I wouldnt worry about it. Just be aware of it and occasionally check it. Did it come from the front, center or rear of the drivetrain. The diff or the trans may have been overfull and it was forced out. For now I would do a degreasing (I use 3M brake kleen, alittle pricey but works the best) so if it reoccurs you can find where it is coming from. Good Luck and enjoy the ride!!!

I never cured the leak even after seven years of ownership. The leak is from the driveshaft seal, complete engine out to do it. I replaced mine at least three times, but always a small leak. You will find it does not leak so much when diven as the seal expands, then when you stop it cools and leaks again.

Live with it until the motor has to come out again. :)

that perfectly correct: also mine does the same. It's almost impossible to eliminate that leak.

Just when the seal is brand new it does not leak, but after some months or a bit of miles it will leak again.

If the car leaks even with a just replaced seal, it means it's bad mounted.

A good thing is to raise the car and clean the clutch housing and things around it from the oil every now and then, so the oil leak will not reach the floor.

More is the average oil temperature (gearbox oil), bigger is the leak: if you do just some miles trip each time, the leak is very very small.

But your leak looks a bit bigger than it should be: ask the mechanic if he replaced the driveshaft seal and check the gearbox oil level often.

ciao

what are those fuel caps? is that an US market spec? they should be hided in the NACA and covered by a black flip cover

ciao

Mine has the same leak....

Thank you for all the feedback, I guess I have to learn to live with that!

I took some other pictures, of the engine, trunk etc. Just to give you an idea of the current condition, that I plan to improve as money becomes available.

Thanks again!

post-9089-1315454533_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1315454562_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1315454588_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1315454618_thumb.jpg

I bought 4 stickers of the " Ruote O.Z." for the wheels, and I was charged $75.00 !! mostly shipping (Eurospares), That was I think too much for stickers!

post-9089-1315454884_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1315454911_thumb.jpg

post-9089-1315454948_thumb.jpg

I think I can live with the leak, but would it get to the point when you have to add gear oil? Is there an opening to add oil to the gears?

post-9089-1315455365_thumb.jpg

Just like old British cars.....................

"It is not leaking.

It is merely marking it's territory"

WoW

85 FI ?

I believe the factory produced, just 20 F.I. cars ?

The Scuderia Lamborghini emblems need to be ditched.

Thats Lp member "lamborghinikid"'s old car. I seem to remember something about the car being sold to a mugwump lowlife who ended up pawning the car after severely over heating the car before you got it. Glad to see it's all back together.

Thats Lp member "lamborghinikid"'s old car. I seem to remember something about the car being sold to a mugwump lowlife who ended up pawning the car after severely over heating the car before you got it. Glad to see it's all back together.

Yep, the car needed some love. It should feel at home now. This is will be a present for my son when I am not able to get in and out anymore!, so I'll pass it on. Paint and a good face-lift of the interior. and a nice sports exhaust are a must.

Even in this condition, two days in a row I came back home smiling. I have been chased by SUVs twice this week. Moms with kids!

they have asked me to stop and allow the kids to see the car, take pictures etc. It is such a big thing for them! very interesting.

Oh BTW the stickers are gone, see the last pics.

hmm so a countach is a MILF magnet eh?? congrats!

:) I guess it is! (excuse me, I have to do some more driving...)

I have been chased by SUVs twice this week. Moms with kids!

they have asked me to stop and allow the kids to see the car, take pictures etc. It is such a big thing for them! very interesting.

MILF magnet!............haha! That's funny! Someone made a comment before that when you bring your Lamborghini out, it's not just a drive, it becomes an event! This is surely true! So many people stop, look, stare, take pics, make comments, etc. All kinds of people from all different walks of life too.......kids, older people, teenagers, car enthusiasts, non car enthusiasts. It's quite an experience!

BTW, your car looks beautiful! My favorite color combo!