Child Abduction

kinnsella

My wife's oldest sister is a nut job...world's worst entreprenuer..

Well naturally she ended up at Jesus's front door and he told her to take the kids (3) to South Korea and join a cult. She is divorced and has an existing custody agreement with shared custody, though the ex father in law is a dead beat.

Suggestions.....

http://www.getyourjusticelive.com/2009/10/...r-justice-live/

Get a lot of money together. International abduction is very difficult to fight.

thanks for the good news....

Some kids draw a short stick.....arranged marriage that goes sideways. Brutal divorce but dad doesn't want the kids and will pay nothing, barely gets any visitation and misses most of them. Right now we are trying to find to let him know his kids are 7k miles away, not even sure he'd care...

We have a lawyer on it..second opinions

wow...no advice that I can offer but I hope that this ends well for you and your family. thoughts and prayers are with you.

So mother moves to South Korea with her kids to join cult, thus abducting the kids from a father that rarely or does not want to see his kids? :eusa_think:

So mother moves to South Korea with her kids to join cult, thus abducting the kids from a father that rarely or does not want to see his kids? :eusa_think:

Thanks for the helpful comments. It's not going well, she has cut off contact, she called me a few days ago raving that a comet elenin will destroy california....apparently she's got a direct line to god and he is sending her visions, it's the most disturbing phone call I have ever received. We have contacted the US Embassy in Seoul and the US State Dept, I have lawyers on it too, plus a private investigator. The father is involved, if he can't handle custody, we will take them in.

Thanks for the helpful comments. It's not going well, she has cut off contact, she called me a few days ago raving that a comet elenin will destroy california....apparently she's got a direct line to god and he is sending her visions, it's the most disturbing phone call I have ever received. We have contacted the US Embassy in Seoul and the US State Dept, I have lawyers on it too, plus a private investigator. The father is involved, if he can't handle custody, we will take them in.

This Comet Elenin stuff has got to stop. It's insanity. So sorry to hear about your deal, that's a crazy sucky deal for your family.

This Comet Elenin stuff has got to stop. It's insanity. So sorry to hear about your deal, that's a crazy sucky deal for your family.

Fortunately I was in front of a computer so I could google it while we were talking. Never heard of it.

U can't pick your families, this is going to cost me $30k min.

Is she Korean? If not, well, then I'm sure their visas/stay limit will run out, at which time the authorities in SK will come looking and take them al into custody if they find them followed by deporting them, while turning over the children to the US authorities if need be.

Is she Korean? If not, well, then I'm sure their visas/stay limit will run out, at which time the authorities in SK will come looking and take them al into custody if they find them followed by deporting them, while turning over the children to the US authorities if need be.

both parents were born there so that's not going to work, though the kids probably only have US passports, i will run it by the lawyers. if it's like the usa, they never follow up on people with expired visas...

poor kids, aside from you taking them in it sounds like these kids are going to have a rough life no matter where they live.

yeah there parents haven't done them in any favors. you really can see it in the development of the oldest two. the youngest one though is a borderline genius.

thanks for the good news....

Some kids draw a short stick.....arranged marriage that goes sideways. Brutal divorce but dad doesn't want the kids and will pay nothing, barely gets any visitation and misses most of them. Right now we are trying to find to let him know his kids are 7k miles away, not even sure he'd care...

We have a lawyer on it..second opinions

My guess is, DAD is the only one who can exert a right to force her to come home.... And if he doesnt give a shit, then mom can probably do what she wants. Even if that means joining a cult in Korea.

The kid was born here? Right? If so shes a U.S. citizen, and if you can prove its some kind of suicide death cult and the kid is in danger, the State Dept might get involved.... If not, its a Korean thing..

My guess is, DAD is the only one who can exert a right to force her to come home.... And if he doesnt give a shit, then mom can probably do what she wants. Even if that means joining a cult in Korea.

The kid was born here? Right? If so shes a U.S. citizen, and if you can prove its some kind of suicide death cult and the kid is in danger, the State Dept might get involved.... If not, its a Korean thing..

You're right, Dad is the only one that can pursue this effectively. I am making him give a shit and providing the resources to do so. The state department is involved, she is a US citizen as well, however SK has not signed the Hague convention which facilitates these sorts of things in an organized manner. We may have to go to SK courts and pursue it there which will make things exponentially more expensive, time consuming and difficult.

You're right, Dad is the only one that can pursue this effectively. I am making him give a shit and providing the resources to do so. The state department is involved, she is a US citizen as well, however SK has not signed the Hague convention which facilitates these sorts of things in an organized manner. We may have to go to SK courts and pursue it there which will make things exponentially more expensive, time consuming and difficult.

$30k isn't going to cut it. It's going to take 6 figures and a few years if it's at all successful. I wish you luck in that you have the best intentions for the children in mind, but it's going to be an uphill battle all the way. Eventually the deadbeat dad will give up and that will make it exponentially harder.

$30k isn't going to cut it. It's going to take 6 figures and a few years if it's at all successful. I wish you luck in that you have the best intentions for the children in mind, but it's going to be an uphill battle all the way. Eventually the deadbeat dad will give up and that will make it exponentially harder.

I know, its gonna be brutal. However we are fortunate to have the resources and the will to see it through. My wife would walk on hot coals if it meant she could get the kids back.

I know, its gonna be brutal. However we are fortunate to have the resources and the will to see it through. My wife would walk on hot coals if it meant she could get the kids back.

The kids are lucky to have family like you! Speak with your lawyer but I think that unless the father gets involved with the "my kids were abducted by my ex with whom I have a joint custody arrangement" standpoint you are going to have a tough time. I have no experience actually living in Asia but I did grow up as a child in a divorced family and moved from the US to Europe with one of my parents when I was 8. Being a US citizens if there is a "health or safety" concern all that I can see the embassy staff doing is trying to arrange a visit to check up on them. If they do and everything seems to be ok with the kids I'm not sure what else they could do if this is approached from the I'm concerned about the mental state of their mother's stand point. I'm not a lawyer (my ex was a social worker though) but even in the US (where we have lawyers up the you know what and an established legal system that regularly deals with this type of stuff) it appears to be extremely difficult to take custody from a parent unless you can prove the children are being abused or the parent is mentally incapable of taking care of them. Unfortunately I'm not sure if her involvement in a questionable religious group is going to be sufficient proof of that. This is going to be a difficult on but one but you got to do what you do.

What might be a better solution if you are serious about getting this resolved is finding out where the kids are at using the PI that you mentioned. Get with the father and get copies of the kids passports or have him request/apply for new ones. Try to keep a cool relationship with the mom, maybe even express interest in finding out more about the organization that she is involved with etc. etc. so that she wants to maintain contact with you. Then get on a plane with the father and go to Korea. Leave him in the hotel, visit with her and arrange to take the kids to get some ice cream or go shopping with you and your wife. Head to the hotel, pick up dad and get all of your butts on the next boat of flight out of the country. I'm understanding that the father has joint custody so he should be able to legally travel with the children and as long as their travel documents are ok no one should be able to stop them. Once you get back to the US, now it's up to the mother to fight and try to get them back and this will have to happen through an established legal system. More than likely if she is wrapped up in this cult she is not going to want to leave to come here to deal with all of that. Just something to ponder on...

The kids are lucky to have family like you! Speak with your lawyer but I think that unless the father gets involved with the "my kids were abducted by my ex with whom I have a joint custody arrangement" standpoint you are going to have a tough time. I have no experience actually living in Asia but I did grow up as a child in a divorced family and moved from the US to Europe with one of my parents when I was 8. Being a US citizens if there is a "health or safety" concern all that I can see the embassy staff doing is trying to arrange a visit to check up on them. If they do and everything seems to be ok with the kids I'm not sure what else they could do if this is approached from the I'm concerned about the mental state of their mother's stand point. I'm not a lawyer (my ex was a social worker though) but even in the US (where we have lawyers up the you know what and an established legal system that regularly deals with this type of stuff) it appears to be extremely difficult to take custody from a parent unless you can prove the children are being abused or the parent is mentally incapable of taking care of them. Unfortunately I'm not sure if her involvement in a questionable religious group is going to be sufficient proof of that. This is going to be a difficult on but one but you got to do what you do.

What might be a better solution if you are serious about getting this resolved is finding out where the kids are at using the PI that you mentioned. Get with the father and get copies of the kids passports or have him request/apply for new ones. Try to keep a cool relationship with the mom, maybe even express interest in finding out more about the organization that she is involved with etc. etc. so that she wants to maintain contact with you. Then get on a plane with the father and go to Korea. Leave him in the hotel, visit with her and arrange to take the kids to get some ice cream or go shopping with you and your wife. Head to the hotel, pick up dad and get all of your butts on the next boat of flight out of the country. I'm understanding that the father has joint custody so he should be able to legally travel with the children and as long as their travel documents are ok no one should be able to stop them. Once you get back to the US, now it's up to the mother to fight and try to get them back and this will have to happen through an established legal system. More than likely if she is wrapped up in this cult she is not going to want to leave to come here to deal with all of that. Just something to ponder on...

Thanks for the input, we'll be sticking with the legal avenues for now...Mission Impossible moves will only be considered once we have exhausted all other options.

both parents were born there so that's not going to work, though the kids probably only have US passports, i will run it by the lawyers. if it's like the usa, they never follow up on people with expired visas...

That's not true. My friend from Germany overstayed her visa, got arrested, kept in jail for several weeks, then deported. Took her to the plane in handcuffs and everything. She is apparently still banned from the US.

So, if he kids are US citizens, then that might be a possible avenue of pursuit. I'm sure even if they are your children, you still need to apply for something so that they can stay with you.

That's not true. My friend from Germany overstayed her visa, got arrested, kept in jail for several weeks, then deported. Took her to the plane in handcuffs and everything. She is apparently still banned from the US.

So, if he kids are US citizens, then that might be a possible avenue of pursuit. I'm sure even if they are your children, you still need to apply for something so that they can stay with you.

BWUK is correct, at least in terms of my experiences.

PS - I returned from South Korea mid march.