10 years on

capt_chaos

a very close family friend was in the second tower working for Sandler O'Neill on the 104th floor. When the first plane hit she called her mom, she told her that everyone was informed it (the first plane) was an accident and that they were instructed to remain put. She was still on the phone with her mother when the second tower was hit.

$hit like this makes my blood boil..........

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/embassy-protester...-132118970.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDZbDdf-gc...player_embedded

Protesters outside the US embassy in London have set fire to a US flag during a minute's silence held to mark the moment when the first hijacked airliner hit the World Trade Centre in New York 10 years ago.

A number of radical Islamic groups including Muslims Against Crusades (MAC) gathered outside the embassy on the tenth anniversary of the attacks.

The group of around 100 men shouted "USA terrorists" and brandished anti-American placards.

Earlier a group of English Defence League protesters, who had gathered in response to the demonstration, were ordered to move on to accommodate the MAC supporters.

The 60-strong group of EDL supporters briefly scuffled with police as they were forced away from their original location to a different part of Grosvenor Square.

Several members of the Muslim groups made anti-American speeches following the flag burning.

One said: "You will always face suffering, you will always face humiliation, unless you withdraw your troops from Muslim lands."

Another declared that America had been "defeated in Iraq and defeated in Afghanistan".

$hit like this makes my blood boil..........

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/embassy-protester...-132118970.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDZbDdf-gc...player_embedded

Protesters outside the US embassy in London have set fire to a US flag during a minute's silence held to mark the moment when the first hijacked airliner hit the World Trade Centre in New York 10 years ago.

A number of radical Islamic groups including Muslims Against Crusades (MAC) gathered outside the embassy on the tenth anniversary of the attacks.

The group of around 100 men shouted "USA terrorists" and brandished anti-American placards.

Earlier a group of English Defence League protesters, who had gathered in response to the demonstration, were ordered to move on to accommodate the MAC supporters.

The 60-strong group of EDL supporters briefly scuffled with police as they were forced away from their original location to a different part of Grosvenor Square.

Several members of the Muslim groups made anti-American speeches following the flag burning.

One said: "You will always face suffering, you will always face humiliation, unless you withdraw your troops from Muslim lands."

Another declared that America had been "defeated in Iraq and defeated in Afghanistan".

Im not afraid of the ones burning flags and making assholes of themselves... Theyre all talk. The fact is, AQ has been UNABLE to pull off another BIG event in the U.S, despite the obvious desire to do so... We're winning.

Im not afraid of the ones burning flags and making assholes of themselves... Theyre all talk. The fact is, AQ has been UNABLE to pull off another BIG event in the U.S, despite the obvious desire to do so... We're winning.

Very true. Still gets me riled up. Especially after watching the video Rob posted.

I make sure to remind myself of what happened that day every year around September 11th. I would like to share my own experience...

I was a high school sophomore in Spanish class. Our principle spoke over the PA system giving vague details and leaving it up to each teachers' discretion to turn on the TVs. Class was almost over - no TV was on. Next class, the TV was on. I walked in and within seconds witnessed the 2nd plane hit. I couldn't comprehend that I just watched a plane fly into a building, my eyes transfixed. My teacher then turned off the TV for class...

That upset me, how could I even concentrate? "Do not 'shield' me from this! I am old enough and mature enough to need to know what is happening!", I thought to myself. Walking to lunch I heard other students talking about the Pentagon being hit - bewilderment and fear again came over me, thinking, "How could this be happening?".

Luckily, my next class after lunch I had a teacher who understood that we needed to see this. I, along with other students, ate lunch in his classroom and we had no class after lunch, just watched. People were jumping from the towers and tears were filling the classroom. I saw the towers fall and heard the info of United 93. We were all petrified from that news, described as "crashed outside of Pittsburgh, PA" - this was getting closer to us. (I live a little over an hour from Pittsburgh).

After all had seemed like it was over, the shock would carry on the entire day. I will NEVER forget what happened next, I had gym class and they were having it outside. I wasn't ready for that so soon after what had happened but my class embarked outside. Not much chatter, unusual for a group of 15 year old kids but what about that Sept. 11th was normal? The eerie silence in the air was the likes of which I had never felt. I heard no birds chirping, no traffic, the skies were free of contrails and clouds. Our entire time outside was very quiet. I remember thinking "What if we see an airliner? They are all supposed to be grounded by now." The sky remained clear. The school day concluded.

I went home and watched news until I went to sleep. I shed tears for those lost. A day in my life that I will always remember and every year I will continue to reflect.

a very close family friend was in the second tower working for Sandler O'Neill on the 104th floor. When the first plane hit she called her mom, she told her that everyone was informed it (the first plane) was an accident and that they were instructed to remain put. She was still on the phone with her mother when the second tower was hit.

That's just chilling :(

IWe're winning.

True.

At what financial cost ?

We could have had almost the same results, if we would have fought the war with just small light inexpensive tactical units. *(I support both the war effort and the troops)*. I feel, we should have brought absolute terrorism to AQ, on it's own home turf, with a few snake eaters - and for decades to come.

They will always find another trigger puller. With that, we should keep AQ guessing when and where we will attack.

True.

At what financial cost ?

We could have had almost the same results, if we would have fought the war with just small light inexpensive tactical units. *(I support both the war effort and the troops)*. I feel, we should have brought absolute terrorism to AQ, on it's own home turf, with a few snake eaters - and for decades to come.

They will always find another trigger puller. With that, we should keep AQ guessing when and where we will attack.

Agreed, 100% We need to bring the emotional fear and terror to them, it would cost less, have less residual effects and boost moral. No more pussyfooting around.

Systematically pick off the leaders one by one like we started to, this will instill fear in them to think twice about joining any terrorist group.

Napalm isnt as scary, we should "accidentally" nuke em. That should be scary enough.

Nukes arent as fun. Biologicalwarfare would be better IMO. Many of our men and women didn't get the pleasure of a quick and painless death. Let those DB's rot for a few days with a disease they can't cure and go through a miserable death and dread what they did to us.

True.

At what financial cost ?

Which is what were doing... The problem is, those snake eaters need a base of operation, and that takes a large support element... Which needs its own defensive element... Which in turn needs its own support element. If they plan to leave the wire, they need an FOB, and thats another layer of troops.

The final equation is this- Every shooter we field needs 2-3 support troops. And theres no way around that.

The final equation is this- Every shooter we field needs 2-3 support troops. And theres no way around that.

That is true.

It would be interesting to know, how many people, support an aq / Taliban shooter.

Good point...know any good shit we can send their way?

Nothing like a sniper hitting someone from a mile away with a .50 BMG incendiary Armor Piercing Anti Aircraft round to scare the life out of you.

Looking at the last sentence makes me proud to be American

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raufoss_Mk_211

Design details

The Multipurpose concept developed by Raufoss is unique in the way that, instead of using a mechanical fuse, it uses a pyrotechnical detonation train to ensure proper detonation of the explosive and incendiary components.[5]

[edit] Identification

Mk 211 Mod 0, with green over white painted tip. The round pictured is made by the WCC in the USA with a projectile probably produced by the NAMMO-Raufoss Company of Norway.This round is usually identified by a green over white paint tip mark.[4] A rarer occurrence of a green–over red–over white paint mark scheme indicate the tracer version of this round. These tracer versions are usually only seen on cartridge feed belts in naval applications.

The headstamp on the casing can also help to identify the round as Raufoss and some common headstamps include, but not limited to: HXP89, WCC94, and FN91; or HXP, WCC, LC, or FN with different two-digit numbers as production year suffixes.

[edit] Legality

This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (August 2010)

There has been much debate over whether the Mk 211 projectile is legal to use against personnel, or if it is strictly anti-matériel ammunition. The International Committee of the Red Cross has sought to have the ammunition banned, due to concern over the incendiary and explosive components and their effect on personnel. Under the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868 the "military or naval" use of explosive or incendiary projectiles with a mass of under 400 grams is forbidden.[7] Very few nations were parties to the St. Petersburg Declaration, however, and, of course, that Declaration does not govern the conduct of non-signator parties. Further, the Hague treaties of 1899 and 1907 – which superseded the St. Petersburg Declaration, and were signed by a far wider circle of nations – do permit the use of such ammunition for auto-cannons and heavy machine guns. Machine guns firing .50 cal/12.7mm ammunition are heavy machine guns. At best, the ICRC's position can be applied to only a small group of nations that were parties to the St. Petersburg Declaration; at worst, the ICRC's position is mooted by 100 years of subsequent international treaties.

Trials conducted by Forsvarets Forskningsinstitutt (Norwegian Defence Research Establishment) has concluded that the ammunition most likely does not have an unlawful effect if unintentionally used against personnel, as the round will have penetrated the body and exited on the other side before the fuze of the weapon triggers the incendiary and explosive components of the round.[8] Hitting a person the round will detonate about 50% of the time; if the target is wearing body armor a higher detonation frequency is to be expected (as shown by the ICRC tests carried out in 1999).[9] If detonated, the round will have a significant fragmentation and incendiary effect in a 30 degree cone behind the struck target, and this might affect others standing in the vicinity. The distance the round will travel from ignition to detonation is 30–40 cm, so if the target is hit at very specific angles the round may still be inside the target at the time of detonation. :icon_mrgreen:

Most nations using the round train their soldiers not to deploy the projectile against personnel, but in the heat of battle such regulations are easily overlooked. Also, many parties currently fielding the ammunition have no such regulations.

The official stance of the Norwegian Government is that the 12.7 mm MP round should not be used against personnel, but an exception has been made for snipers using the round - due to the practical limitations of snipers having to change the type of ammunition used when switching between hardened and soft targets. It is being exported strictly in an anti-matériel capacity. The current U.S. policy is that the ammunition is suitable for use against all targets.