Steve Jobs won't be getting the iPhone 4s

Roman

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He lived well beyond the normal expectancy with that cancer and I am sure his bank account played a role in that...but it definitely goes to show you that even when you are on top of the world it can all come to a relatively abrupt end.

Health is far more valuable than money.

Here is my most recent facebook status: "RIP Steve Jobs, a great entrepreneur, tech visionnary, and CAPITALIST (part of the 1%, btw). A real shame, a great loss."

Only "likes" so far...I guess I have a lot of good friends. ;) I'm just sick and tired of people accusing only bankers of making too much money...

It's too bad though...I would have loved to see him go on for another two decades, and influence the technology world like he did. I'm NOT a Mac person at all, but I'll give credit where credit is due. RIP, Mr. Jobs.

Seriously?! The guy made shiny toys and then convinced adults that they couldn't live without those shiny toys.

Perhaps some people would benefit from spending time looking at these people (minus a certain 2009 winner): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates

Steve Jobs saved my life. He and Wosniak pushed the idea of "personal computers" when everybody at the time said they were insane. The CEO of DEC once said "why would anybody ever want a computer in their home.". And that was the attitude of computer people at the time. Computers were giant machines used by large business and college science departments.

Jobs and wosniak changed all of that. And just in time.

In 1976 I was diagnosed as "mentally retarded.". I was in first grade and unfortunately the understanding of learning disabilities hadn't really filtered down to my shitty little school district in bumfucked san bernardino california. I couldn't read. My writing amounted to unreadable scribbles. Later people would diagnose me with dyslexia, a permanent, non reversible learning disability that makes reading all but impossible. But, at the time I was just "retarded".

In second grade our school got a bunch of Apple 2 computers. And kids who did well on various reading, math and spelling tests would win like 5 minutes of time "playing" with it. I think I got a whole 5 minutes on it the whole year. Didn't matter... To a dyslexic, DOS might as well be Sanskrit.

And then something odd happened. In third grade I did something I was never supposed to do. I learned to read. I went from reading on a first grade level to reading on a sixth grade level- in one year. By the end of 6th grade I was reading on a college level. But I still had trouble with writing. My handwriting was (and still is) illegible with lots of backwards letters. Telling time on an analog clock was like reading Japanese. (It was about this time I went through another battery of tests and they found out my IQ was in the 130s. I went from being "retarded" to "dyslexic" -I've since learned neither diagnosis was technically correct- true dyslexics never learn to read) Regardless, I still couldn't write in any useful fashion so my future looked bleak.

I hated school. It was a GRIND that wore me down by 4th grade. I was embarrassed by my learning problem, which the other kids simply labeled as "stupid" and it was impossible for me to hide it because every time I had to write something, there was my indecipherable handwriting for the world to see. What was worse was I knew I wasn't stupid. I knew the answers, but couldn't write them. I had IDEAS but no way to convey them. I suspect if nothing changed I would have muddled through the hell that was school until I could drop out. If I didn't kill myself first, the rest of you would probably be supporting me. Then my freshman year of high school steve jobs, the guy who never did anything but make shiney toys, was instrumental in making the apple Macintosh and its very dyslexic friendly Graphical User Interface, and he convinced my parents to buy one. They bought it in hopes that I could use it for school to cover my writing problems. Typewriters never helped me but something about seeing the words as they were typed made it easier for me. I still STRUGGLED with school, but as the years went on, the computer made a LOT OF IT, MUCH EASIER... In some instances it made the IMPOSSIBLE, POSSIBLE... I sure as hell wouldnt have gotten through college or law school without one.... Sure... Without Jobs, P.C.s would have still EVENTUALLY come to market.... Windows might have eventually replaced DOS without him giving Gates a push....

But not in time for me.

I cant think of any product that has had a more profound impact in the outcome of my life, and jobs was the guy pushing it the whole way.

RDad, wow.... very touching story. You would have been put in some "special" class if it wasn't for computers. Today a sucessful attorney.

Honey Badger likey

And of course, this commencement speech by Steve Jobs. If this doesn't rattle your foundation please step off the boat.

That was a great watch

76% of Americans will get a chance to meet him after they are dead.

The other 24%? :eusa_think:

LOL! The other 24% will be at the Lambo Power party down below.

He originally was diagnosed in 2004 with a virulent cancer that usually kills within 6-12 weeks of first detection. Somehow he made it another seven years, which is amazing to me.

RIP!

Also: lol Rob :lol2:

Liver/Pancreas transplant and a lot of money go a long way.

LOL! The other 24% will be at the Lambo Power party down below.

:icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super: :icon_super:

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

:bj: :bj:

:la: :la:

See the rest of you sinners there :)

Seriously?! The guy made shiny toys and then convinced adults that they couldn't live without those shiny toys.

Well in addition to the GUI (Graphical User Interface) and pushing the personal computer overall, he also built up Pixar and then there were Apple's innovtions such as iPod, iTunes, iPhone, etc...did a lot in terms of bringing very quality products with good hardware/software integration to the market. Also, I doubt people would have bought all of the Apple products as much as they do if they were of low quality. Jobs's way of convincing people to buy them was via creating a good quality product. The iPhone for example revolutionized the cellphone industry when it came onto the market. People will definitely buy products if they are popular and fashionable, but I do not think either of those things will get people to buy things like cell phones, music players, etc...if the quality and/or design is lousy.

MUCH more than shiny toys. He's changed the game how we communicate from here on out.

Perhaps some people would benefit from spending time looking at these people (minus a certain 2009 winner): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates

i'd like to point out its because of steve jobs and the original apples that we now are here being able to read your extremely ignorant view on the impact hes had.

Statement from Bill Gates

"I'm truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs' death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely. "

R.I.P.

Mr. MAC