TOYO Proxes R888's or Pirelli Rosso's?

kinnsella

So after an eventful week which ended up with a flat tire, damaged rim and a 70 mile tow truck ride to Monterey on PCH and no frigging white sharks. Now I am in the market for a new set of tires.

I have run 2 sets of Pirelli Corsa's, the last set were Pirelli Rosso's which I loved. I am considering the TOYO Proxes R888's. Not concerned about tire noise or ride quality, curious about longevity, grip and any changes in the handling especially on the limit. I drive fast a lot as the car is generally only used in the Santa Monica Mountains but I never abuse the tires. Any input would be appreciated, other brands would be considered too. I have run Bridgestones on my old comptech NSX and had Michelins's and Pirelli's on my old giac 996tt. Thanks in advance.

The R888 are not great in rain, but have amazing grip. Road noise is medium. I have heard louder. I have no idea of the longevity as I only have 1500mi on them. The Pirelli's ether Corsa or Rosso are a great wet tire option and are fantastic tires.

The R888 are not great in rain, but have amazing grip. Road noise is medium. I have heard louder. I have no idea of the longevity as I only have 1500mi on them. The Pirelli's ether Corsa or Rosso are a great wet tire option and are fantastic tires.

Thanks Scotty, not really concerned about rain performance since the car is in CA. The Corsa's were great in the rain, the Rosso's were awful (though mine had 4,500 miles on them), it was like driving on ice.

The Toyos grip great, but they are loud on the hwy. The noise may or may not bother you. IMO, if your car is making close to stock power, you dont need the extra traction. If you have twin turbos, you would need the extra grip.

I have a set of regular pzeros (not rosso). I like rossos but find them to be a little silppery when wet. Will see if the new set is better.

I would think r888 will not as long and yet more slippery when wet or cold.

r888 are excellent track tires. i use ps2 for road use because i still want the grip when it rains. i have another set of rims and hoosier tires for track..... hoosiers rocks on track :)

Hoosiers on the track are fantastic, my favorite track tire. I run them on the Supra with great results.

Toyo R888 suck and were horrible on the track for me. Pirelli Corsa System and Hoosier R6 are way better than R888.

If this is going to be a premdominantly street tire go with Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Excellent performance dry or wet and great price.

The corsa's are way better in my eyes than the rosso's. The corsa's will wear faster and do stick to rocks easier = throw rocks easier. The corsa's are stickier than the rosso's...way stickier!!!! Rosso's are okay for people that do not drive hard. This is just my experience.

I ran R888's on the track and street. Don't do it. They heat cycle way too fast... mine hardened before the tread ran out on one set. They also tend to chunk if you don't shave them. Spec miata series hated them, too. Switched back to RA1's, and now Hoosiers for next season. Hoosiers are great too, but forget about longevity. They also heat cycle very fast.

I wonder if the NT01's come in Gallardo sizes...

With all these compounds, I hope you are putting clear bra on all the wheel wells. I did on my Murc, and it saved my paint job.

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports and like them so far. Much better than the Rossas which were on my Gallardo when i bought it. (I chunked the Rossas at Barber and do not recommend them as a track tire). The Super Sports did well at Charlotte Motor Speedway (road/oval configuation). The Super Sports are being marketed as "longer -lasting" super performance tires. We'll see, but so far I am very happy with them.

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports and like them so far. Much better than the Rossas which were on my Gallardo when i bought it. (I chunked the Rossas at Barber and do not recommend them as a track tire). The Super Sports did well at Charlotte Motor Speedway (road/oval configuation). The Super Sports are being marketed as "longer -lasting" super performance tires. We'll see, but so far I am very happy with them.

Tire rack was pushing the Michelin's pretty aggressively. How many miles to you have on them?

Tire rack was pushing the Michelin's pretty aggressively. How many miles to you have on them?

I guess maybe 2,000 miles? Treadwear seems good for now. Will do one more track day at VIR Grand course on Nov. 15.

I did buy them from TireRack. got a whopping $70 rebate from Michelin.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep reading mixed reviews on these... Some people say they are great with longevity, grip etc. However they all agree as the tire wears it looses grip.

In any case I just ordered a set. I like the tread pattern and the price isn't bad either. I'll be sure to let you know how they work for me on the track and during my weekend rallies.

P.S- Can anyone comment on these tires during cooler weather? Are they useless when it's 40-60F outside? (Dry of course) Thanks.