Large pick-up trucks

Tara

D. Wiggs has a large built full size dodge I though. Scotty has a sportchassis I think which looks awesome. I am also curious if others have something like the 650s or the CXTs.

I dont know if DWiggs still has his Truck. Just saw him sunday. He sold his Murci too. His wife does have a SICK ass white LP570 Performante on ADV's

I dont know if DWiggs still has his Truck. Just saw him sunday. He sold his Murci too. His wife does have a SICK ass white LP570 Performante on ADV's

ask him why he doesn't post here anymore. is he just taking a break from online activities?

• 1 month later...
ask him why he doesn't post here anymore. is he just taking a break from online activities?

He's been working on some big projects with his house, work, etc. He's a busy beaver. He'll be back soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Peak had a Topikick/Kodiak at one time. I remember seeing pictures of it. But the way he goes through cars who knows if he still has it.

I have actually stopped looking at the ones mentioned in the initial post because I figured why spend so much money when you can get an old military truck for cheap! Likely my next purchase will be an M35 2.5 ton modified. Fully redone for about $13k.

I have actually stopped looking at the ones mentioned in the initial post because I figured why spend so much money when you can get an old military truck for cheap! Likely my next purchase will be an M35 2.5 ton modified. Fully redone for about $13k.

Go drive a few and see how you feel about it. If you plan to drive them long distances you will REALLY appreciate the nicer medium duty trucks.

Few things I will throw in here in regards to big trucks. If you are going to be ANYWHERE near the towing limit of the truck, or especially the trailer, you MUST scale it up and be 110% sure you aren't over the weight limit of any single component (including your drivers license).

Read this: http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....showtopic=24262

Keep in mind any of these medium duty trucks will NOT legally tow a trailer heavier than a standard 1 ton dually. They are MUCH safer to tow with at the limit, and you feel much more confident doing so. But due to the increased weight of the vehicle itself, the tow rating is decreased. Another thing to consider, due to the lower gear ratios they are miserable to drive over 65-70mph.

You would be amazed how quickly you can add thousands of pounds to a big trailer. Get that fcuking thing scaled and make sure you're below the limit.

Not sure if this is just a CA issue, but recently people have been getting pulled over driving 4500+ series trucks (4500 or 5500 chevy, F450 or F550 Fords) and being asked for log books, Class A licenses, Road Flares, etc. These are considered commercial grade vehicles and they are giving people hell for it.

If it were me personally and I needed something more than what your standard 1 ton could tow, I would be seriously looking at a smaller semi-truck type rig.

Those are a bitch to drive from I have heard.

I don't have anything that large, but my truck is a Dodge 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins (heheh)- I've done some light engine work (bolt-ons basically) and a programmer/tuner- you would not BELIEVE the low-end torque of that thing- should be making ~850 lb/ft- and the factory included exhaust brake is a real life-saver.

Keep in mind any of these medium duty trucks will NOT legally tow a trailer heavier than a standard 1 ton dually. They are MUCH safer to tow with at the limit, and you feel much more confident doing so. But due to the increased weight of the vehicle itself, the tow rating is decreased. Another thing to consider, due to the lower gear ratios they are miserable to drive over 65-70mph.

This isnt the case with the Sport Chassis and similar type trucks is it? Ive seen on a brochure they claim a towing weight at 40,000lbs. But in another part they have said CGVW at 42,000lbs.

I don't have anything that large, but my truck is a Dodge 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins (heheh)- I've done some light engine work (bolt-ons basically) and a programmer/tuner- you would not BELIEVE the low-end torque of that thing- should be making ~850 lb/ft- and the factory included exhaust brake is a real life-saver.

They arent bad at all. Buddy just bought a 07 6.7L 6 speed. He isnt concerned about speed just the ability to pull his trailers and getting good mileage when he isnt pulling. He did a DPF and EGR delete/tunner, the power that thing has now just after that is crazy.

850-900lb/ft tq is about perfect for these trucks IMO. Not to expensive yet, still reliable, doesnt really affect anything.

I wouldn't be doing any towing and likely it would just get occasionally driven like the Diablo or for bad weather. The ones I'm talking about are fully rebuilt and upgraded, not the standard rustbuckets you typically see. Long distance drives would be rare mainly because of the gas mileage and the fact that the top speed is 60mph. I've been reading at the weights and licensing laws and there is actually a whole forum on military vehicles with plenty registered in my state. For one it depends how you title them and anything under 25000 pounds can be driven without a CDL as long as it isn't titled as a "Commercial" vehicle. These can tow tons of weight as that's what they are partially designed for in the military (hauling howitzers and other thingss) BUT then you do get into licensing issues since if you're towing something and you exceed that 25k number you'd need a CDL. It was recommended to print off the laws regarding this topic and carry them around with you in the trucks in case you do get pulled over. But since I wouldn't be doing any towing, i'm not worried. I'm even considering an M923 5-ton, which is about 23000 pounds.

This isnt the case with the Sport Chassis and similar type trucks is it? Ive seen on a brochure they claim a towing weight at 40,000lbs. But in another part they have said CGVW at 42,000lbs.

They arent bad at all. Buddy just bought a 07 6.7L 6 speed. He isnt concerned about speed just the ability to pull his trailers and getting good mileage when he isnt pulling. He did a DPF and EGR delete/tunner, the power that thing has now just after that is crazy.

850-900lb/ft tq is about perfect for these trucks IMO. Not to expensive yet, still reliable, doesnt really affect anything.

Yeah I did the deletes as well- and I agree completely on the torque- any more than that and you're probably going to have transmission issues (i've got the auto). I've actually managed over 22 mpg on the interstate (no trailer obviously) as long as keep it under 70- a lot better than the 16-17 I was getting stock.

I have a Topkick. It is a cool truck, my kids call it a real monster truck. They do ride rough but are awesome towing machines. They have the "get the hell out of my way" factor as well. When you pull up behind someone they move over. Kinda like a menacing sports car coming up real fast behind you.

If you have any questions about them you can pm me. I dont check this section very often.

Go drive a few and see how you feel about it. If you plan to drive them long distances you will REALLY appreciate the nicer medium duty trucks.

Few things I will throw in here in regards to big trucks. If you are going to be ANYWHERE near the towing limit of the truck, or especially the trailer, you MUST scale it up and be 110% sure you aren't over the weight limit of any single component (including your drivers license).

Read this: http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....showtopic=24262

You would be amazed how quickly you can add thousands of pounds to a big trailer. Get that fcuking thing scaled and make sure you're below the limit.

Not sure if this is just a CA issue, but recently people have been getting pulled over driving 4500+ series trucks (4500 or 5500 chevy, F450 or F550 Fords) and being asked for log books, Class A licenses, Road Flares, etc. These are considered commercial grade vehicles and they are giving people hell for it.

If it were me personally and I needed something more than what your standard 1 ton could tow, I would be seriously looking at a smaller semi-truck type rig.

Good to see someone else on here from GD.com

BTW that story is fictional, if you read the last few posts it will tell you....