Skyrim - Who bought it?

Kerplop

GTX280 was indeed the shit back then, which is the reason it's still running games.

GTX590 is where it's at now, two generations newer and about three times as as fast as yours. The biggest drawback with GTX280 however, is the lack of DX11 support.

How much does one of those cost??? (Its Nvidia right? I have top have Nvidia for some other software to work right)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying my graphics card isnt what it should be???

I thought it was a pretty bitchin card when I bought it (two years ago).

Whats the shit now?

There're pretty good rundowns here and here. They compare your card with other chipsets doing the rounds at the moment.

If you don't want to spend too much on an upgrade, in my opinion the 570 or some of the beefier 560ti's are the best price/performance balance, but the 590 is an absolute monster if the expenditure doesn't bother you.

If you don't want to spend too much on an upgrade, in my opinion the 570 or some of the beefier 560ti's are the best price/performance balance, but the 590 is an absolute monster if the expenditure doesn't bother you.

I have a GTX470, and wanted a GTX590 since forever. But the availability (at least in Europe) has been shit, or rather the demand has been enormous. No shops have it in stock, and I don't want to order something that don't have a delivery date. So I ended up finding a used GTX470 instead and are running 2 of them in SLI, which actually performs pretty close to a GTX590. SLI can cause some headaches though since it's driver dependent, but it works pretty well.

I have a GTX470, and wanted a GTX590 since forever. But the availability (at least in Europe) has been shit, or rather the demand has been enormous. No shops have it in stock, and I don't want to order something that don't have a delivery date. So I ended up finding a used GTX470 instead and are running 2 of them in SLI, which actually performs pretty close to a GTX590. SLI can cause some headaches though since it's driver dependent, but it works pretty well.

Im Totally fcuking confused.... I went to NewEgg (where I buy computer shit) and they have the GTX 590 from a bunch of DIFFERENT vendors? But none of them are Nvidia... What the fcuk is that all about?

nvidia designs the cards, they dont make them. EVGA and ASUS are generally considered the best manufacturer of nvidia cards. MSI, XFX, PNY, and Gigabyte are all very good cards as well.

Im Totally fcuking confused.... I went to NewEgg (where I buy computer shit) and they have the GTX 590 from a bunch of DIFFERENT vendors? But none of them are Nvidia... What the fcuk is that all about?

Nvidia makes the graphics processor (just like Intel or AMD makes the CPU in your computer), different vendors use this GPU on their cards.

Think of it as VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda. Same crap different wrap :icon_thumleft:

All cards with the same modelnumber are basically the same. Some might be slightly overclocked from the factory etc, but the difference is minimal in most cases.

Nvidia makes the graphics processor (just like Intel or AMD makes the CPU in your computer), different vendors use this GPU on their cards.

Think of it as VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda. Same crap different wrap :icon_thumleft:

All cards with the same modelnumber are basically the same. Some might be slightly overclocked from the factory etc, but the difference is minimal in most cases.

Christ, theyre like 700 bucks? Thats more than some fcuking COMPUTERS!?!?!

And it will be outdated in a couple months, as usual.

PC gamers are crazy. Some of them even buy multiples of those cards to put in the same box.

You don't need a $700 card to play this game. This game isn't even fully a DX11 game, it's mostly DX9.

Realistically your card will run it. You may have to turn the detail down a bit, but it'll run it. Your processor and ram are good too. If you wanted to play it at max detail, you'd probably want to spend $200-250 on a good card, but you don't /need/ the top of the line card to run it. I'm running max detail on EVERYTHING but shadows (which is on high not ultimate) with a $200 card and my framerate is fantastic.

The GTX590 actually has two GPU's on the same card, that's why it's so expensive and fast. And maybe more than you need...?

PC gamers are crazy. Some of them even buy multiples of those cards to put in the same box.

Not outdated unless some new DX feature comes up that it doesn't support. Just look at the GTX4xx series compared to the GTX5xx series, they perform basically the same even though the 5 series are more advanced and a generation newer. But if DX12 comes with the new generation... it's suddenly ancient and useless :P

Does that actually DO anything?

Does that actually DO anything?

Yes. It's called SLI. It basically uses 2 cards and shares the GPU cores (basically makes it so that 2 processors are working on your video, instead of 1) - so there is less load and stress on the card and the graphics run a lot smoother.

However... SLI with 2 crappy cards is still 2 crappy cards. It gets expensive to make SLI worth it. Honestly, I'd rather just have one nice card. Someday when the price of that card goes way down in price, buy another, run SLI and be amazed how smooth it runs.

Yes. It's called SLI. It basically uses 2 cards and shares the GPU cores (basically makes it so that 2 processors are working on your video, instead of 1) - so there is less load and stress on the card and the graphics run a lot smoother.

However... SLI with 2 crappy cards is still 2 crappy cards. It gets expensive to make SLI worth it. Honestly, I'd rather just have one nice card. Someday when the price of that card goes way down in price, buy another, run SLI and be amazed how smooth it runs.

Can I "SLI" my current card? (gtx280)

Can I SLI my current card with a different card?

Can I "SLI" my current card? (gtx280)

Can I SLI my current card with a different card?

Yes, it is possible, if your motherboard and power supply supports it.

You have to, or at least should, use a card with the same GTX280 GPU.

Depending on the game you should see some pretty significant increase in FPS:

sli.JPG

Yes, it is possible, if your motherboard and power supply supports it.

You have to, or at least should, use a card with the same GTX280 GPU.

Depending on the game you should see some pretty significant increase in FPS:

That said, 72 FPS at that resolution is plenty. 180 FPS won't really play any better.

That said, 72 FPS at that resolution is plenty. 180 FPS won't really play any better.

Sorry, I cut the header out of the screenshot... This is just a random benchmark for the 2005 game F.E.A.R. I found, so FPS values are just an indicator of the increase in performance, not what you would get in any new games like BF3 or Skyrim :)

I remember back in the day there was a way to check online to see if your CPU would be capable of running certain games....hmmm

..... andddd found it

Here it is

Just select a game from drop down menu, hit ok, and wait. It should tell you if your computer can run it, and whether or not it fits the minimum requirements, or the recommended ones.

Cheers

OK... Just had my head inside my cabinet....

Everything looks pretty simple, but my current card (Gtx280) has S/Pdif running from the MoBO to the Video card.

The new cards dont look like they have this input? What would I do to hook it up properly?

OK... Just had my head inside my cabinet....

Everything looks pretty simple, but my current card (Gtx280) has S/Pdif running from the MoBO to the Video card.

The new cards dont look like they have this input? What would I do to hook it up properly?

This is only for audio to the HDMI output on the card, do you use this?

So I remember loving the old Japanese RPGs, usually for their storylines, but what is it about these types of immersive RPGs that everyone loves so much? Just sounds like regular real life, only in an artificial world... (trying to buy a house, a horse (equivalent to a car), etc...)? (and not knocking on the games or anything, just curious). To me, these games always must have a good story, otherwise I get bored with them really fast.