Clear bra for triple layer paint

phoenix

I have an arancio Argos aventador coming in next month and I'm wondering whether anybody here has experience with triple layer paint jobs.

I'm considering a clear bra but am not a fan of how it dulls the reflectiveness of the car paint.

That being said I've been told that triple layer paint is a pain to color match and touching up chips may be impossible. Is there any truth in that? (source of that was the clear bra installer guy)

How much does it cost to get say, a panel repainted on a triple layer paint job?

im getting it done this week on my Verde Ithaca Aventador, I will let u know how it turns out. I highly recommend it as rock chips are definitely a problem on the Aventadors from what I have been told.

The clear bra is a life saver! I figure if the Matte Clear bra on my Bianco Canopus can work, any paint can be done if you have the right product!

a lot of that has to do with materials and good installation. the technology and materials for clear bras have been getting better and better... with little "orange peel" effects, hazing, and fogginess in the material. but considering how "bright" your car is... it'll overpower any effects the clear bra would have on the paint i would think.

the only way to do 100% color matching is by blending into other panels.

therefore, i'd recommend a clear bra. a custom install that covers all edges is nearly undetectable even up close. at most, you'll see a little bit of orange peel on the hood.

Look into Ventureshield. Very little (almost zero) orange peel.

Ventureshield is owned by 3M now. The advantage of Ventureshield is you can get larger panel sizes (eg 1 pc for the hood etc.). Films are a savior, I have them on my Giallo Orion and it's difficult to see where it is vs unprotected. DO IT

I have an arancio Argos aventador coming in next month and I'm wondering whether anybody here has experience with triple layer paint jobs.

I'm considering a clear bra but am not a fan of how it dulls the reflectiveness of the car paint.

That being said I've been told that triple layer paint is a pain to color match and touching up chips may be impossible. Is there any truth in that? (source of that was the clear bra installer guy)

How much does it cost to get say, a panel repainted on a triple layer paint job?

I have a 2005 Gallardo with triple layer paint which I have owned since new and which now has almost 30,000 miles on the clock. I have never bothered with a clear bra and the car has original paint and no chips on the nose. In my experience the triple layer paint is so much more chip resistant than other paints that I would not bother with a bra. A few years ago when the F430 came out I drove from London to the South of France and back in my Gallardo with my brother-in-law in his new F430. By the time we got back the F430 (in the standard red) was covered in chips but the Gallardo was unmarked.

The problem with bras is however good they are you can still see the join line and a hint of orange peel.

My advice is don't bother!

I had 3m/ventureshield on Verde Ithaca and its probably the best i reckon, didn't yellow in 2 years and looked real clear, no orange peel either like some have, but it was looking real rough especially on edges by the end and where it had taken a cople of big hits they had gone through it to the paintwork anyway, so it wont protect all.

Also I've seen a friends car that has gone properly yellow within six months of putting the film on and it looks terrible, not sure what make it was, so make sure you put a good quality film on.

Was planning on replacing it but when i took it off i realised just how bad it looked compared to paintwork. Didn't notice when it went on, or when it was on, it looked good hardly noticeable, only when it came off did i realise how bad it looked. I didn't put another lot back on it's been six months so far and no chips yet. Just got to be a bit more careful and absolutely never follow other supercars close!

That said if you go to the track/follow cars up close then its a must or you will trash the front end in one session and having it on will balance the minor cosmetic deficiency.

I'm not going to put it on my Aventador because of my experience using it, but i think if you need it or not is depant on how the car is used.

I'm looking at replacing the clear bra pieces on the side scoops and front wheel wells on my 06 murci. anybody know where I can just buy the pieces? thanx

I got the entire Aventador clear bra'd before I drove it much. Job is outstanding... can't see it unless you look really hard. At least now i have some paint protection. Good investment if you ask me.

I have it on about 50% of my Murcie and you really have to look hard to see where it it vs where it is not. So it is well worth it. However, installation is key. DO NOT get pieces. Get a guy that can overwrap the edges. My previous G was pieces....and looked like crap. My current DD had pieces on it when I bought and I'm going to take it off this summer. So only difference between a YES and a NO is, you guessed it, proper installation of the correct product.

Oh, and one more thing....have him do the very bottom front lip in a separate piece (you cant see it) so that when you eventually scrape the bottom (and you will) it can be replaced easily rather than redo the entire front end.

Ventureshield is owned by 3M now. The advantage of Ventureshield is you can get larger panel sizes (eg 1 pc for the hood etc.). Films are a savior, I have them on my Giallo Orion and it's difficult to see where it is vs unprotected. DO IT

^^ Agree!

Had the entire front end, mirrors and behind rear wheel wells done on my Balloon White. People comment all the time about the beautiful "pearl" effect of the paint. No one sees the clear mask.

Attempted a DIY on friend's 2007 Black G. NOT GOOD. We learned a lot - mostly that a professional install is well worth the cost. Also tried DIY on his Murci. We did much better on car #2 (learned a few tricks of the trade) but still - pro is the way to go.

I also had a clear film installed on my windshield. Much thicker than the paint protection, and saved the windshield from rocks, chips and gritty tracks (like Pocono which is brutal). Will do the same to the ZeeOhSix....

DoctaM3 - Where did you have it done? Local?

I just checked out a wrapped Aventador in the shop, and it looks amazing, but I recall when I saw it in person at Geneva it looked even more amazing... although that could have just been the lighting.

We'll see how mine looks in person, but I'm leaning towards not wrapping the car. I've had a 997.2, and a Maserati GTS both without clear bras, and after 3 years/30k miles in the Porsche it's still looks pretty good, maybe 3 small chips total. The Maserati looks flawless after a year and 12k miles.

Plus the $5k or whatever for the wrap could go a decent way towards taking into account depreciation incurred from a few paint chips down the road. I intend on putting a good number of miles on this one, so I imagine a high mileage lambo will be worth the same (low) with a few chips vs without.

^^ Agree!

Had the entire front end, mirrors and behind rear wheel wells done on my Balloon White. People comment all the time about the beautiful "pearl" effect of the paint. No one sees the clear mask.

Attempted a DIY on friend's 2007 Black G. NOT GOOD. We learned a lot - mostly that a professional install is well worth the cost. Also tried DIY on his Murci. We did much better on car #2 (learned a few tricks of the trade) but still - pro is the way to go.

I also had a clear film installed on my windshield. Much thicker than the paint protection, and saved the windshield from rocks, chips and gritty tracks (like Pocono which is brutal). Will do the same to the ZeeOhSix....

DoctaM3 - Where did you have it done? Local?

If you want probably the absolute best, most anal-retentive job, I can get you in touch with the guy out in CBus who does most all of the exotics around. His stuff is absolutely flawless.

I got the entire Aventador clear bra'd before I drove it much. Job is outstanding... can't see it unless you look really hard. At least now i have some paint protection. Good investment if you ask me.

:iamwithstupid:

THIS is how you do it...you have to get the ENTIRE freakin car wrapped COMPLETELY...none of this 'front end/mirrors/hood/partial wrapping' crap...the WHOLE CAR from FRONT TO BACK to headlights to taillights to roof to freakin gas cap/door. Hell, I'd clear-bra the damn rear personalized license plate, too.

And if I had a near-$500K Aventador, I would look into doing the windshield/glass parts with this stuff, too:

ClearPlex Windshield Protection Film

i.e. I would have the car as fully protected as humanly possible for more peace of mind. Totally worth every single cent.

:iamwithstupid:

THIS is how you do it...you have to get the ENTIRE freakin car wrapped COMPLETELY...none of this 'front end/mirrors/hood/partial wrapping' crap...the WHOLE CAR from FRONT TO BACK to headlights to taillights to roof to freakin gas cap/door. Hell, I'd clear-bra the damn rear personalized license plate, too.

And if I had a near-$500K Aventador, I would look into doing the windshield/glass parts with this stuff, too:

ClearPlex Windshield Protection Film

i.e. I would have the car as fully protected as humanly possible for more peace of mind. Totally worth every single cent.

I wrapped Optimus completely from top to bottom. Still has virgin paint under there! :lol2:

I've seen good and bad film jobs. Mostly bad. Nothing worse than a $5 visible line running across the hood of a Veyron. Do it right the first time and find someone who has experience doing it. If he's the best he will only use the best products - just like any detailer worth their weight in gold.

Also, any experiences with clear bras and extreme cold/heat? I go up to tahoe a lot, and used to take my LP560, and I remember that if I parked it outside overnight, in the morning some of the plastic pieces would wiggle around loose until things warmed up. Anybody living in colder climates have experiences of films contracting in the cold or getting bubbles in the heat?

If you want probably the absolute best, most anal-retentive job, I can get you in touch with the guy out in CBus who does most all of the exotics around. His stuff is absolutely flawless.

Yes please.

Thanks

Also, any experiences with clear bras and extreme cold/heat? I go up to tahoe a lot, and used to take my LP560, and I remember that if I parked it outside overnight, in the morning some of the plastic pieces would wiggle around loose until things warmed up. Anybody living in colder climates have experiences of films contracting in the cold or getting bubbles in the heat?

I've had the bra on in 110° and -30° with no issues. It's all about the quality of the product and install!

Yes please.

Thanks

PM sent!