My second Vid from Jay Lenos

Allan-Herbie

I vote for changing it to "The ONLY one in the US". But really, it's great that he knows all that info but very scary at the same time.

Why is it scary. Eric is very passionate about the F1. I think its awesome that

he knows soo much about the car I go to him all

the time if I have questions and he always is great about answering or getting back to me if

he is not sure about something. He only wants to give acurate info about the car and loves

to share his info with others. He is a stand up guy and has vast vast vast knowledge about

the F1.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have never guessed there are 27 F1s in the US, I would have thought 10 tops.

Amazing.

Doesn't have the same ring to it. :icon_thumleft:

I love how people here are all about having correct info about cars and now that Allan has been corrected it becomes a big joke. If someone else would have fucked up the numbers you guys would be all over his ass. But if big A does it it is all good. If you want to leave it at 7 and look like a fool on you tube its fine with me. I just think it would have been more mature to say you are right Eric let me change it. But if you want to llok like a fool and say 7 well then have at it. Eric and others were just trying to help you out. But if its a joke to you well then I guess the joke is on you since there are way more than 7 F1s in the USA

fcuk you AllanLambo - get your facts before SHOOTING your mouth off about numbers. Shit like this is what makes shit like this, shit.

fcuk Freakzilla got me wound up So I am going to say what is on everyones mind....

Allan you smell.

To be completely fair both are right. Leno's is one of seven Ameritech Mclarens while there are a significant more amount in the US.

Very cool car and keep the info coming Pelton, your wealth of info is awe inspiring.

I love how people here are all about having correct info about cars and now that Allan has been corrected it becomes a big joke. If someone else would have fucked up the numbers you guys would be all over his ass. But if big A does it it is all good. If you want to leave it at 7 and look like a fool on you tube its fine with me. I just think it would have been more mature to say you are right Eric let me change it. But if you want to llok like a fool and say 7 well then have at it. Eric and others were just trying to help you out. But if its a joke to you well then I guess the joke is on you since there are way more than 7 F1s in the USA

How will I sleep tonight!

How will I sleep tonight!

Allan I could give a shit how or where u sleep. U could sleep in a box on hollywood blvd for all i care. Everything is a big joke --I get it. I could really care less. But when you find others on this forum who post wrong info you are all over their ass. Looks like it is the pot calling the kettle black. So i could really care less if you know Jay or you have been to his garage more times than God the bottom line is you are wrong and we called you out on it and now you are not man enough to fess up. So go right ahead be the funny guy. Makes you look like an idiot to all those that know there are way more than 7 F1s here in the US. But since its all a joke--i guess the video is a joke as well. So keep up the cheap jabs at those that correct you. Just makes you look weak when it comes to just how little you know about the F1.

Well this certainly got interesting... :shock:

Thanks to those who have said kind words. I do try my best. :)

Peloton,

Some years ago, I saw some show about internet wiz kids, that made it big in the IT business. The program featured quite a bit of cars, incl. some indian guy with a 355 (Thinking it was one of the google founders?) a 550 Maranello and a garage and some dude getting a silver Mclaren F1 delivered. Do you know which show that is and where it can be found? :D

This video doesn't ring any bells unfortunately. One person I know of who might qualify was Dan Kennedy as he was a younger guy who made his money on e-commerce platforms but when his F1 was delivered (although it had originally been silver) it had already been resprayed in Metallic Orange for him. He did something with it for Discovery Channel that a lot of people have seen but I am sure that isn't what you are referring to.

The other person who fits that description was Thomas Gonzales Jr who coincidentally made money in a similar web venture called Commerce One, but his F1 was Black and was fitted with the High Downforce Kit.

I saw 001 and I believe 033 together about a year ago. Any info on those??

Perhaps you mean #001 and #031?

Because if you saw chassis #033 that would be incredible - no, make that 'SHOCKING' news. The prevailing theory is that #033 is one of the 6 McLaren F1s that have been written off over the years after being heavily crashed. There was a photo of #033 that appeared in "Driving Ambition" showing the rear of the car heavily smashed. The car was less than two weeks old when the incident occurred and instead of having it repaired the owner chose to have McLaren build him another one instead. The whereabouts of the remains of #033 aren't confirmed but speculation is that it was stripped of any usable spares and then the remainder of the chassis was destroyed.

The reason it would make sense to see #001 and #031 together would be they are owned by the same person or the same family, I should say.

#001 is a silver car and #031 is white. The two cars belong to a father and son, both with the same name, and the report I got was that the white car which was purchased sometime in 2010 was actually a gift for the father. As for their histories, the early details on #001 are a bit murky still. In the beginning it was referred to by the press as 'McLaren's own car' and remained around the factory for many years. There was some speculation that the car belonged to Mansour Ojjeh, one of the priciples at McLaren, but that has never been confirmed. It is supposed to have come to the USA a few years ago but the sale wasn't highly publicized so I can not tell you exactly when that might have been.

#031 was originally in the collection of Yoshikuni Okamoto of Japan. He has a number of fantastic cars (mostly Ferraris) and I was surprised when I heard he was parting with the F1. Prices have nearly quadrupled for someone who purchased at list price and while I can't say whether that was a factor in his reasons for selling, I am sure the temptation to cash didn't hurt.

Chassis #031 was on display in the McLaren Chicago showroom during their Grand Opening party this weekend. Here's a lovely shot of the car from the day of the event:

404311_10150546442931213_545966212_9350084_1637473641_n.jpg

So far no images have surfaced of #001 since its arrival in the USA, but here's a photo of the car taken inside the McLaren factory back in 1998.

Macf1_scan0012_1024.jpg

There are a couple of uniquely identifying features of #001 that set it apart from other silver F1s. The most obvious are the side mirrors which were sourced from the Citroen CX and used on quite a few other sports cars from Aston, Lotus, Jaguar and TVR. The standard side mirror on the later production F1s was borrowed from the VW Corrado.

I vote for changing it to "The ONLY one in the US". But really, it's great that he knows all that info but very scary at the same time.

If Allan wishes to look silly he can certainly do that. I'm hardly the only person around who knows that figure of 7 is laughably inaccurate.

The funniest part for me was a text message that arrived on my phone yesterday from a friend.

He wrote - "Hey, how many F1s are in the USA?"

Knowing he had probably just seen Allan's video I responded with "Way more than SEVEN!!!" :icon_mrgreen:

And he goes: "Oh, you saw that too." and then my friend called someone a moron I think. :lol2:

I would have never guessed there are 27 F1s in the US, I would have thought 10 tops.

Amazing.

A handful of owners have multiple cars. Ralph Lauren with three, his neighbor Gary has a pair, another guy in Texas has two. Going back to December 2002 there were already 20 cars here in the USA which shows it didn't take long after 'Show or Display' was passed for people to take advantage of the new law.

To be completely fair both are right. Leno's is one of seven Ameritech Mclarens while there are a significant more amount in the US.

Very cool car and keep the info coming Pelton, your wealth of info is awe inspiring.

This is not true - while Jay's F1 was imported through Amerispec Corp who had been the same company to handle the import of the Ameritech F1s, Leno's F1 is not one of those 7 cars. The chassis numbers of the 7 cars are #042, #044, #045, #055, #062, #067 and #074. Leno's F1 is chassis #015 and wasn't imported to the USA until March of 2000, coming in under the 'Show or Display' provision passed in December 1999. Once that law was passed, the tricks used to import the cars as Ameritech F1s (including supplying each one with a new VIN) would not have been necessary at all.

>8^)

ER

In the terms of stuff that is really important you know like world famine and poverty, Cancer, AIDs and Cat AIDS can someone indicate to me on the scale of stuff that is really really important and crucial that we have this figure correct on a YouTube video where the number of a certain car in a certain country can be found please.

Of course it doesn't rank in comparison to such things. I am not sure anyone would disagree - in fact I would hope that no one would disagree.

Do you guys spend a lot of time here on LamboChat talking about such things though? I certainly can't recall... :P

>8^)

ER

Ok, number of factors here. I highly doubt Allan plucked the number from the air, there is a good chance that Allan was given that number (maybe even Leno himself) from a source, Allan is therefore reiterating what was passed to him. Now Peleton you admit yourself that figure constantly changes because these cars move about a bit so would you expect Allan to change the figure everytime? Are you expecting Allan to change the information on a daily/hourly basis? That is not to say it is taking anything away from the great work you do do on your McLaren fanbase info but come on.

Muppet-zilla you are being a tenuous moron. Again. Stop it.

Now I am not saying Allan is right, What I am saying is this thread is exacty 4 pages too long and beyond banal.

Haha. Capt was reiterating my point. I never said peloton didnt know what he was talking about, I was merely saying in the end the actual number of cars is not a big deal. And FWIW I think it is scary that someone knows the name and location of every F1. But...if you can use that same skill and find me the full names and addresses of all the Victoria's Secret models, this will all be water under the bridge :)

This is not true - while Jay's F1 was imported through Amerispec Corp who had been the same company to handle the import of the Ameritech F1s, Leno's F1 is not one of those 7 cars. The chassis numbers of the 7 cars are #042, #044, #045, #055, #062, #067 and #074. Leno's F1 is chassis #015 and wasn't imported to the USA until March of 2000, coming in under the 'Show or Display' provision passed in December 1999. Once that law was passed, the tricks used to import the cars as Ameritech F1s (including supplying each one with a new VIN) would not have been necessary at all.

>8^)

ER

I stand corrected.

Ok, number of factors here. I highly doubt Allan plucked the number from the air, there is a good chance that Allan was given that number (maybe even Leno himself) from a source, Allan is therefore reiterating what was passed to him.

Leno would know there are more than 7. I'm quite certain of this.

Now Peleton you admit yourself that figure constantly changes because these cars move about a bit so would you expect Allan to change the figure everytime? Are you expecting Allan to change the information on a daily/hourly basis? That is not to say it is taking anything away from the great work you do do on your McLaren fanbase info but come on.

No - not at all. But Allan just filmed this two weeks ago and put the video up a couple of days ago. Like any piece of content - article, film, whatever - the information presented should be accurate at the time of publishing.

Most people would appreciate being informed of the error and make some quick changes to correct it. Digital media is easy to fix. I never expected that Allan would but I still wanted to make the correct information known. I did so with one comment on his YouTube video, and only chose to add my two cents here when I saw the subject had already been raised. The rest of the discussion has taken on a life of its own.

Compare that to Allan's identical post on Luxury4Play.com which has 175 views and not a single comment:

http://www.luxury4play.com/mclaren/100904-...mclaren-f1.html

At least there's something to talk about here. :)

>8^)

ER

Peloton, to smooth this over, could it be that the number Leno passed over to Allan is say for a type of spec or year of car. I doubt Leno would just band that number about and so delving into your records you can find a common variance that equates to 7 cars in America.

I'm smooth - I slept last night too. ;)

I am sure that Jay knows there are more than 7 F1s here - he is no idiot. If something like that was said he may have been referring to those Ameritech cars. Jay is friends with more than 7 people who have F1s. He even knew the owner who took me for a ride back in 2005.

>8^)

ER