Wet Sanding a Countach (shaping a diamond) -Deep Paint-youtube link

torino34

Hope you guys enjoy the video. I always get asked, "Tony, who details your cars?" &" How do you get your paint to look so Deep?" The answer is: I wet sand them to perfection, I don't trust anyone to touch my cars with sand paper or a buffer. I have a process of heating the molecule in the paint, then making them dance into place.....There is a technique I came up with when scuffing the surface before sanding, then its all about controlling the wheel to stay where you want it too... You see anyone can buff a car with the right technique. The idea is to slowly heat the molecules in the paint (with the buffer) And if the lines from the sandpaper are in order, they are much easier to remove when buffing. Think of heating the molecule the same as hot toast.... if you were to put butter on cold toast it will make a scratching sound from friction, if you have warm butter, warm knife and warm toast....It will spread like butter (the paint). And anyone that applies the correct technique can achieve the same results I do. No need for years of experience. If you approach it as a science you will have professional results. ... Id be glad to help anyone with questions on doing it themselves. Ciao.

-Tony

DSC_0191.JPG

Holy Cow that's you doing the work? that is awesome... black is the worst too... believe me i know. Thanks

for posting that.. (like the song too)

Holy Cow that's you doing the work? that is awesome... black is the worst too... believe me i know. Thanks

for posting that.. (like the song too)

Yes thats me, Thanks!

Black is tough but when its finished it look so money! I have a problem with imperfections. DSC_0013.JPG

Very cool. One of my employees does the same on his many Plastic mess-06 he has owned, all black and did the same to my black Impala SS when I owned it. Bitch to do but as you said, then result is fantastic. BUT not for the amateur.....

Wow that's an awesome video. Anything you could share on what we could use and steps to follow to improve our cars?

Wow that's an awesome video. Anything you could share on what we could use and steps to follow to improve our cars?

I am working on a full step by step video in HD...hope I can finish it up soon. working on my 84 now.

I am working on a full step by step video in HD...hope I can finish it up soon. working on my 84 now.

I'll buy it... I have serious paint scratches and cracks issues, before I end up painting I want to check if the current paint has some life still in it! Plus it is always a great thing to know, if you need detailing, right?

Vid was right on que, I get to do some wet sanding/buffing on my wifes black car next weekend :) Your paint looks very flat to start out with too, very nice. What compounds are you using? Also you like the foam pad for the first buffing faze? I do rubbing with a wool pad and then polishing with a foam.. wool is very messy though probably not easy to clean up on a CT with all those cracks. Car looks great, I love the relective shot on the side of your with the buffer.

I'll buy it... I have serious paint scratches and cracks issues, before I end up painting I want to check if the current paint has some life still in it! Plus it is always a great thing to know, if you need detailing, right?

Do not wet sand too much as it is easy to burn through paint when your trying to remove deep imperfections. You can probably help hide these a little, mostly from the heat with a buffer and rubbing compound, but only very shallow scratches/scuffs are somewhat safe to attempt for a novice. This is more to flatten things out and get a mirror like reflective surface. From what I understand cracks are the norm in certain areas on the CT even with new paint anyways.

Know anyone in the midwest who can do it? I have a black car and the furthest I'll go is using my Griot's orbital with a mild polish. Good results but nothing like professional work.

looks awesome, how many hours did it take?

I did a quad stage, the first 3 steps took about 18 hours, halfway finished last applications. (looks like 25 HR)

Punch-list

a) 2000 grit (pre soaked) = 3m

B) 2000 grit ( rtu)= 3m

c) 2000 grit (rtu/scuffed together) = 3m

a1) 3m compound (tannish) = 3m

b1) Maguires compound(white syn) = Maguires

c1) Machine Polish (white) = Maguires

a2) High Speed Buffer (0 to 3000) = Dewalt

b2) Small Orbital = Porter-Cable

a3) white foam (waffle) = 3m

b3) black foam (waffle) = 3m

a4) Micro Fibers (orange @ Target) = Vroom

a5) Spray Wax (Turtle/green bottle) = Turtle wax

Im sure Im forgetting something but here is off the top.

Couple of pics of the sanded door( even str8 lines) easier to remove by keeping the buffer in a general direction, less swirls and it won't look like you were signing your name with the buffer. (crazy swirls)

The finish pic is compound only then wiped clean with a micro fiber and turtle spray wax.....

DSC_0022.JPGDSC_0033.JPG

Nero Aldebaran black is terrible to keep clean and without small defects: well done, but it won't last long unless you do not move the car anymore from the box and keep it under a cover... :icon_thumleft:

ciao

thanks guys....She is heading to the show, not quit detailed or finished but ready enough for the kids to see.. Id like to give it one more buff to remove some sand scratches that snuck by me....plus need wax and a good picking of old compound...(I hate to be rushed).

Doing my Tom Cruise! DSC_0285.jpg