Police Auctions

Falken

I've never been to a Police auction...are they worth going to?

do you really find good deals or does most stuff end up selling for 10% off retail anyways?

I haven't been, but i hear it's picked clean by the cops before the public gets a look.

Bingo.

You'll find junk, more junk and some junk on top of that.

I just saw the stuff they have listed at the one here... it's junk, and a few washing machines. May be your area is different, see if there are listings/pics online.

I haven't been, but i hear it's picked clean by the cops before the public gets a look.

Helps to have a cop friend or two, I'd imagine.

Bingo.

You'll find junk, more junk and some junk on top of that.

I just saw the stuff they have listed at the one here... it's junk, and a few washing machines. May be your area is different, see if there are listings/pics online.

All of the above...Spot on.

swung by...walked around for 15 minutes. table after table of useless junk...old stereo, random golf clubs, clothes, used tools, the odd well worn guitar, snowboard, painting etc. a little jewelry...nothing to right home about. about the only good stuff were bicycles...lots of good looking bikes even if they were used.

i won't be back for the auction.

All of the above...Spot on.

swung by...walked around for 15 minutes. table after table of useless junk...old stereo, random golf clubs, clothes, used tools, the odd well worn guitar, snowboard, painting etc. a little jewelry...nothing to right home about. about the only good stuff were bicycles...lots of good looking bikes even if they were used.

i won't be back for the auction.

The one in Austin on Lamar is the DPS Auction- and the head of the DPS is meticulous when it comes to preventing "cherry picking" I've seen some incredible deals roll off the line there- largely because he's elected through council, so he has a P&L motive at the end of the quarter.

I saw a 2010 Chevy Tahoe "police" version sell for $8500. Next quarter, I saw the same trucks selling for $20K (which is, in fact, more than what DPS pays for them- which is totally strange, BTW)

The real fun is on the seized property side. For that you need to be licensed, and there's a vetting process for it.

I've never been to a Police auction...are they worth going to?

do you really find good deals or does most stuff end up selling for 10% off retail anyways?

+ 1

been many times bought some good things but most of the times it's garbage not worth re-selling, and lots of plain clothed cops there asking why are you buying that etc.

Most cases you will find toyotas like this

truck8.JPG

or burned and crashed.

Also not to mention you will overpay if you get into a bidding war with someone else.

overall stay away unless you have a lot of cash to throwaway or do a crazy amount of research !