Joe Z's Verde Ithaca LP560 Heffner TT Build Thread

I'm just doing research is all....How many stock Gallardo/R8 engines have failed with your turbo system?
Forgive me, but that question seems a little blunt to be considered just "research."

As far as I'm concerned, any questions (including my own) about the setup's reliability, and associated risk, have been answered adequately and extremely thoroughly.

Wow. For a guy who owns a stage 1 Race version UGR Superleggera, you sure seem to have an awful lot of interest in Heffner's bolt on system.
That might explain the demeanor.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just doing research is all. Thank you for your answers. How many stock Gallardo/R8 engines have failed with your turbo system?

There have been two cars.

The first is a 2004 Gallardo coupe. Prior to having one of our bolt on systems installed by one of our installers the car was run with nitrous for several years. The system was installed, dyno'd and everything was OK. The owner took the car to an event in Utah which included two track days for him at Miller Motorsports Park and a 1,200 mile very "spirited" drive through the mountains and canyons in Utah. The two track days and the first day of running hard through the mountains went very well. On the morning of the second day, the owner stopped for gas. He noted that the car ran great up until he fueled up and that once he filled up on gas and that under wide open throttle since filling up, there was audible detonation. Despite the fact that there was audible detonation he chose to continue to drive the car in the same "spirited" fashion for the next one hundred fifty miles until he stopped for lunch. I advised him to not run the car hard again until all of the fuel was run out of the car and he could fill up again. Unfortunately by then it was too late. The bearings had been damaged and the next day the engine expired.

The second is a V8 R8. The installer, which is not one of our authorized installers, connected the vacuum lines to the wastegates incorrectly which caused the car to overboost. Instead of opening the wastegates to regulate boost it forced them shut. Instead of six pounds of boost, it made about twenty five. Fortunately this only resulted in a broken ring and did not fail catastrophically.

I really hope that I have provided adequate information. If you would like to give us a call or even perhaps come and visit us one day I will of course be happy to answer any questions that you have. For now, I ask that we move on and get this thread back on topic, which is Joe's awesome Verde Ithaca Twin Turbo LP560.

Oh, yeah. The cosmetic enhancements. While the car was here we had the wheels stripped and powdercoated gloss black. Once they were done we mounted a set of TOYO R888's for a little extra grip as well. We painted the calipers Verde Ithaca and installed black Lamborghini logos. The front bumper was painted in LP570 fashion, gloss black on the bottom. Before applying the black paint we placed one of our decals on the left front of the bumper, sprayed the black then removed the decal. This left our logo appearing in the factory color. The bumper was then clear coated, wet sanded and buffed. I think this is a very nice touch. The windows, tail lights and marker lights were tinted which I think tied it all together very nicely. When it was all said and done I feel that Joe is going to end up with a very tastefully done, impressively fast car. I hope you guys like it.

Lambo1.jpg

Edit1.jpg

JoeZ,

That's a really great looking car. I look forward to your impressions once you receive it.

Heffner,

I commend you for your demeanor in answering questions, both good and bad related, with us. Even more so since you didn't require validation/proof that S-351 or I are actual owners. I feel that should be noted here.

Thanks.

BF570

Great thread. The car looks fantastic. I am sure the owner is going to have an awesome weekend! Nice job! :icon_thumleft:

I like the backdrop. Is that your shop? Is that a concrete truck?

This is not Jason's shop but the back drop is nice. Nice job Heff!!

Great thread. The car looks fantastic. I am sure the owner is going to have an awesome weekend! Nice job! :icon_thumleft:

Thank you. Heffner did a great job!!

It shall be an amazing weekend. I will give you my imressions once I get some seat time!!

Would also like to commend Jason on a truly first class attitude in this thread. I feel there were many opportunities to tell someone to fcuk off, but your responses truly speak of your character. Well done Jason, and I look forward to some more great builds from you guys!

Beautiful car Joe. Tastefully done!

Thanks Gary!! Long time no see!!

Oh yeah, I meant to ask you Jason, how do the toyos hook up. Is there a noticeable difference over say a p-zero?

The Toyo's are an amazing tire in the grip category. Much better than a p-zero in my opinion.

Would also like to commend Jason on a truly first class attitude in this thread. I feel there were many opportunities to tell someone to fcuk off, but your responses truly speak of your character. Well done Jason, and I look forward to some more great builds from you guys!

+1. He has always been a gentleman and is an asset to this community.

That's one of the things (aside from the fact he does great work) that keeps me coming back and dealing with him again and again.

I like the backdrop. Is that your shop? Is that a concrete truck?

Thank you. This was not at our shop. We took the car to a few different locatons to get some pictures, the best of which I will post shortly. This picture was taken at a ready mix concrete factory where we got a few good pictures before an angry gentleman yelled at us because we were on private property and asked us to leave.

The TOYO's on this car at the mid to low 800 whp range hook up very well, at least on our warm roads here in Florida. They will generally put down 900 whp in first gear. P zero's don't even come close as far as grip goes.

I agree!

The car has arrived in New York. Unfortunately, Joe says he has something to do today. I think he said "work". Here's a quick dyno video of the car. Once Joe gets a few miles on it we'll get some more video footage going. Have a great weekend.

The car has arrived in New York. Unfortunately, Joe says he has something to do today. I think he said "work". Here's a quick dyno video of the car. Once Joe gets a few miles on it we'll get some more video footage going. Have a great weekend.

I'm available if he needs someone to take it around the block, and make sure all of that terrible Florida air, and sand is blown off the car.

My resume includes over 20k with an Arancio Borealis Gallardo, and about 20k miles in a Verde Ithaca LP560-4. I would think that would classify me as an 'expert'.

I'm available if he needs someone to take it around the block, and make sure all of that terrible Florida air, and sand is blown off the car.

My resume includes over 20k with an Arancio Borealis Gallardo, and about 20k miles in a Verde Ithaca LP560-4. I would think that would classify me as an 'expert'.

When I am ready to hire a driver, you will be the one Mike....:)!!

Well let me start by saying the car was just dropped off to my detailing shop because she needs a well deserved day at the spa because all of the hard miles this weekend.....:)!!

I am on the shit list as my wife has not seen me since Friday night.....oh well.

So I get in from work Friday, take a shower, and down to the garage to inspect the engine bay and see all this first hand. Well the pictures do not do this system justice!!! It is amazing and I can stare at it for hours as the engine bay is soooo clean. The boys at Heffners performance have really taken the craftmanship to another level. It is truly a pleasure to look at this system and I know this has been said, but without the Heffner Twin Turbo insignia, you would not know this was aftermarket. The intercooler is done so well and the line routing is insane. Just down right neat and clean that is all I can say. Heffners Performance gets a 10 out of 10 in the system design and installation category.

After the engine bay inspection came the cosmetic mod inspection. The front bumper paint work was magnificent. The wheels, calipers, tinted windows and lights all made such a difference on this car. I was highly impressed with the clear bra installation on the front bumper and the car was very clean......(not JoeZ clean but very clean)...LOL. 10 of 10 in cosmetic mod category.

Initial start up was quite different from my Superleggera as the car rumbled and then was very quiet in a matter of seconds. The real surprise was that the ignition was so factory like and it only took one try to start her up. I would have to time my Superleggera perfect in order to get her to fire on the first shot and it was almost as if she started when releasing the key and not turning it forward. I also noticed what a smooth idle as the Superleggera used to surge a bit in the rpm range and then settle down. I am very happy with this because I am all about retaining as much factory behavior as possible. I spoke to Jason regarding this and he said this has a lot to do with keeping the stock Bosch electronics and not relying on an aftermarket ecu. Very pleased :)!!

On to the driving. I was itching to hit the parkways and run her threw the gears!! The car felt very normal as I made my trip through the 30mph zones heading to the parkway entrance. Shifts were smooth and she felt very factory like. Jason had informed me that they loaded the quicker LP570 shift program into the car so the shifts would be quicker than the stock 560. I had very little time with the car before she left, so I would be lying if I told you I felt the difference. I headed to my favorite blast spot and couldn't wait to lay into her. I was very impressed with the power delivery of this car. It is definitely not as raw as my Superleggera, but it has an incredible power band from 5k t0 8k. Very, very smooth car with a more sedated driving experience. It is quiter than my Superleggera which is quite nice but the BOV's and turbo's are still there to capture your attention. I felt like I was in the power band for a while as it makes sense. Less power than my Superleggera so not shifting as fast and as much. I was pleased with the Egear shifting in Corsa mode and it felt nice.......slower than my GTR but still very nice. I know this is weird to say, but I see value in this Egear system as it keeps the driver involved. The GTR shifts so smooth and it kind of takes the fun out of driving. It is crazy and I never thought I would say a car with a trap speed in the 145mph range and 800+whp would feel normal to me....LOL. Overall driving experience was an A+ and it is such a treat to drive a Heffner TT. It elevates the experience and it is so wonderful. Car is a blast!! 10 out of 10!!

I would Like to thank Jason and all of his great employees for building such an amazing car. It has been lonely without a TT for the past couple months but it was well worth the wait. The car is absolutely beautiful and the driving experience is even better. The car did not have any issues in the 250+ miles I was able to put on her. I am pleased once again and Jason and team have made my 3rd build as amazing as the first 2. It is always a pleasure doing business with you Jason!!

I do have one complaint for Lamborghini. They made the rear Lamborghini logo in plastic (older cars were metal) and it was just about to fall off the back of the car as I pulled into the detail shop....LOL. I guess that will sum up whether or not she was put to the test. I got her nice and hot all weekend.....:).

Hope you guys enjoyed the write up. I will update you some more as I get more miles on her. I have a really great trip planned for the upcoming weekend and will get a whole bunch more miles on her.

Thanks Heffner.....you always seem to make me :).

Can't wait for Stage 2 and all the wonderful things you have brewing.

I will leave you with a picture I took in the first 15 minutes of getting onto the parkway.........

get_attachment.aspx.jpg

Nice write-up, Joe.

879 rwhp on pump? So I am assuming you are right around 800 awhp, which is awesome.

Now stick a VBOX and get us some 60-130 times. I am assuming with 800 whp, you should be in the low 5 sec mark.