McLaren daily driver

fastlane

How about some opinions on using the McLaren as a daily driver. My DB9 daily driver has been perfect but now has 70,000 miles and I am ready to replace it with the new Vanquish, I was thinking the McLaren could also fill the bill, the only thing is the Mc is more like my LP640 which is my Sunday car. I don't know if it doesn't makes sense to get more of a GT like the Aston. The new Vanqush is a big improvement over my DB9 but when you get up to 300 grand for a daily driver you can really choose from most anything but comfort is still important. Opinions please

My .02:

While the car is completely capable of driving like a DD, the interior and storage leave much to be desired compared to a real GT DD. Was in the same situation myself, ended up opting for a true GT after much consideration. The MP4 is a bit redundant to my 560, similarly to your 640.

The mac would not fit the bill for what you are looking for in a DD. I think grand tourers fit the bill better for daily use.

yes its possible to dd the mac but trunk space is not enough... You need maybe a gtspeed ... if that fits your bill

I was about to say the same thing. Great car!

Bentley CGT. Ive got an 05 with no power upgrades and it still MOVES.

Just enough attention from people to not be annoying. Built like a tank and maintenance is not bad.

I drive mine almost every day over 100km round trip to work.

Bentley CGT. Ive got an 05 with no power upgrades and it still MOVES.

Just enough attention from people to not be annoying. Built like a tank and maintenance is not bad.

I drive mine almost every day over 100km round trip to work.

How many kilometers on the Bentley? Any issues?

How many kilometers on the Bentley? Any issues?

75,000 Km

Regular services - nothing needed doing.

I think Allan broke something on his after an ECU upgrade - cant recall if they were related.

The rear seats are ok if you are 5 foot tall. Not comfy for normal size people.

I have been using the MP4-12C as a daily driver since the middle of November. Although most of my time is spent at the McLaren showroom, our dealer group also has the Lamborghini, Ferrari, & Maserati franchises here in Newport, so I can honestly say that I have a pretty non-biased opinion.

Just personally hit 5,000 miles on my orange demo & 2,800 on my titanium one. I have been to Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles. Long trips, short trips. Fast driving, slow driving. Just an all around awesome car! Seats are really comfortable, the gearbox is ultra smooth, automatic mode makes city driving nice, visibility is better than most exotics, & I actually find the luggage space to be very adequate. The space up in the front bonnet holds 2 suitcases nicely, and the area behind the seats comes in handy as well. The iPod interface is very intuitive & the absolute best part is that it has 2 functional cup holders. I was actually underneath the car the other day and was really surprised to see that on my orange 12C, after 5,000 miles, there is not a single scrape underneath the front nose. The way the front bumper is shaped and sloped at an angle actually makes parking lot entrances & exits pretty painless.

I have actually seen that several of my clients are averaging about 600-800 miles a month in their 12C's. Everyone has complimented on how easy the vehicle is, and even their wives can enjoy the car.

If you are seriously considering the car, I would recommend driving one for 24 hours in your everyday environment and see what you think. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

-Nick

75,000 Km

I think Allan broke something on his after an ECU upgrade - cant recall if they were related.

Thanks

It really depends on where you live and the quality of your roads. In Chicago, you would not want to use a MP4 as a DD. It's still too stiff for the roads. In most parts of California? Absolutely doable. But even there I'd still go for the Aston. They make imo the best DD in the world. If you don't like the 300k sticker, you should consider a DBS. It's world's better than the standard DB9 and you can get a coupe for $160k or so.

i think the biggest issue with the MCL for DD is ingress and egress. if you do 2 trips a day, maybe it's fine. but if you have to do several short trip a day and have to get in/out of the vehicle numerous times, it becomes a chore due to the high side sill and low roof line.

75,000 Km

What's a safe yearly maintenance costs for you? I drive about 50 miles a day but its hard to find maintenance cost info on any of the Bentley's

the car is actually very user friendly, you could putter around town with it or give it a go and it will fly... Would be good for DD if you are just driving it without any need to pick up big items. VERY user friendly...

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a few testaments to daily driver usage have been shared on McLarenLife.com as well. Some people bought the car intending it as a replacement for their weekend toy but find they can get out of it and are using it more than they ever expected. Worth having a look over there to read their opinions or repeat your question to get direct responses.

>8^)

ER