Chrome To Ceramic Look

ToofDoc

I know a lot of us out there like the looks of the SL and Performante exhaust tips! Well gentlemen, no longer you need to buy parts for thousands of dollars, I converted my stock chrome tips to matte black/ceramic look under $50! Thanks to member COLORINC for the conversation suggestion. Supplies you'll need are:

1) Any high heat paint (Krylon or Rust-Oleum)

2) Mask

3) Paint barrier

4) Tape

5) Degreaser

6) Sandpaper

It'll take you roughly two hours from start to finish! Results are amazing!

Here are the progressional images.......

Supplies that I got

High heat paint that I used (Rust Oleum for auto parts)

Before conversion side view

Before conversion top view

Degreasing both exhaust tips outside and inside

Roughed up the chrome surface with sandpaper

Roughed up chrome surface top view

Isolation paint area

First coat of heat paint

Second coat of heat paint

Another view of painted isolation area

Both side to allow dry 1 hour

Amazing results top view

Finished side view of one side

Finished side view of the other side

Finished top view

Thoughts?

Great job Doc!

Can you give us a update in a month and let us know how durable it is?

Great job Doc!

Can you give us a update in a month and let us know how durable it is?

I know...durability is now the biggest question! According to the paint, supposed to withstand 2000F heat. We'll see.

Excellent, concise, write up!

I am very much looking for an update from you in a couple of months to see how durability stands. Looks good!

It is an easy route to get the tips black...had it done the same way, while the heat resistant paint seems to hold, they eventually chip and you can see the chrome through. I can post picts if anyone is interested...but its about time to redo them. Im thinking of having them really powder coated this time around. But, if you have to do it once every year or 2, may suffice.

It is an easy route to get the tips black...had it done the same way, while the heat resistant paint seems to hold, they eventually chip and you can see the chrome through. I can post picts if anyone is interested...but its about time to redo them. Im thinking of having them really powder coated this time around. But, if you have to do it once every year or 2, may suffice.

That's what I'm thinking...rock chips is the only thing that will ruin them...unlike the real thing where the chips won't hurt....

But hey...I'll just repaint them once/year or as needed....cheap way of doing things.

Maybe apply a high-temp primer first ?

Not sure how long that paint will adhere to chrome

Yeah...not sure either how long the paint will hold on chrome, we'll see. Rock chips will probably create little nics and chrome will show up. I haven't driven the car yet since the tips had been painted. When I drive around under normal conditions til the end of summer, I'll give a report back then.

High heat primer would've a big help....trial and error!

So far, one weekend aggressive/normal driving on rocky and bumpy Pittsburgh roads, both side held up fine! Only time will tell. I am very pleased with the result so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually did the same thing on my Orange Superleggera and it did not lasted at all, after a few miles the paint started to turn white/gray due to the temp, I was running no cats and no exhaust...

I've been looking into doing my exhaust tips black and called a few shops. It's under $100 to have professionally sanded and high temperature powder coated so that seems like the best bet in my opinion. If this was $50 and powder coating was $500 that's one thing but for such a small difference I personally am just going to get them professionally done.

I actually did the same thing on my Orange Superleggera and it did not lasted at all, after a few miles the paint started to turn white/gray due to the temp, I was running no cats and no exhaust...

You must didn't do it right...

Mine is looking fabulous! I drive my G pretty rough also...and on rough pot hole city roads!

I've been looking into doing my exhaust tips black and called a few shops. It's under $100 to have professionally sanded and high temperature powder coated so that seems like the best bet in my opinion. If this was $50 and powder coating was $500 that's one thing but for such a small difference I personally am just going to get them professionally done.

True, true...if it's that cheap, then go for it....

Mine is working out just fine....remember, I bought some extra materials...the actual job was probably less than $20!

To get it done properly is a couple hundred bucks because you want ceramic coating not just high-temp powder.

It will hold up on stock cars. If you have an exhaust it will last a week at best...

Not true. Im running 2 years and 15k miles now with this mod and have had a Capristo on it the whole time...the paint is fine, only issue is rock chips on the outside. The paint has held up for me...really need to be sure you are using the hi-temp paint.

rattle_tips.JPG

One month in after conversion with aggressive driving on rough pavement (stones, potholes, bumpy roads) of Pittsburgh. Perfect still.

If any of you like this cheap conversion, drive your car to me! I'll do it for the cost of one of your molars! :icon_mrgreen:

I had mine done professionally, plasma sprayed ceramic by the company that do lambos oe stuff, fairly expensive though, the diy job looks great if it lasts.

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG

I guess my car just runs too hot. I did the exhaust tip on my LP640 with the same spray and both times it came off. Now it is ceramic coated...

• 4 months later...

5 months in after paint...

no problems! Handles heat fine and no rock chips!

Then again, I don't have an exhaust like some of you do. Stock, absolutely no problems so far!