First photos of the McLaren P1

Nath4N

That is all thanks to the extensive 2013 automobile safety requirements from the USA DOT. :eusa_wall:

Well given that they could cut out 200 lbs from the batteries of the kers alone (thats not including the motor or other components) I can imagine owners requesting the car without the kers. Imagine 730 hp and a curb weight of 2700 lbs :o

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well given that they could cut out 200 lbs from the batteries of the kers alone (thats not including the motor or other components) I can imagine owners requesting the car without the kers. Imagine 730 hp and a curb weight of 2700 lbs :o

Throw in a single clutch as close to the ISR as possible with the removed battery tech you mentioned and I'd be a lot more interested.

I was on my way out when I opened this thread initially, I glanced at the photos very quickly and I thought it looked very good but now that I had more time the more I look the less I like, there are some very nice elements about it and some very bad ones, I dislike the side shot in particular.

image.jpg

I love the philosophy behind the car and if the 375 number is true they could hold and increase in value so you can't go wrong, have they set pricing yet? I've seen all sorts of prices and numbers being thrown around.

I am considering to put an order for one in Japan since you can't have it here in RHD but I am not sure if I love it enough. :eusa_think:

Pricing is about 1.15 Million USD.

For the driver, I would say without the electric motors and with the less weight, the car would be more interesting, but given the people who are going to be buying this car, not enough of them are drivers. Apparently the total units were dropped because of customers complaints and worries, and I think if enough people had suggest dumping the "kers" system, it would have been done. The main buyer of this will either be a collector (now) or a very rich person who wants to go fast...and many will probably feel that for 1 million USD, this shouldn't have less than 900hp and the latest and greatest technology.

I'm reminded of the F1 longtail for the rear end sloping, something I didn't really care for to begin with. I want to really like this car, but it will probably be something that grows on me over time...maybe.

... and I think if enough people had suggest dumping the "kers" system, it would have been done.

The philosophy of this car centers around the performance of the combined hybrid drivetrain. It wouldn't be nearly as quick without it and would have required a MASSIVE rethink to every aspect in order to "dump" it. The people who would complain about it simply don't get it.

>8^)

ER

I wasnt a fan until a saw a video of a guy chasing one around the streets. The car had camo coloring but nothing augmenting the lines of the body. But seeing that video of it on the street made me a believer. When around normal cars, it just looks insanely exotic. Personally the F1 was quite bland on the outside (not after adding a HDF kit) but thats the mclaren way, function over form.

Carrying a big V12 versus a tiny engine.

That's true. Lambo should just give the Aventador the Sesto Elemento treatment and let it compete against the upcoming Enzo and F1 :icon_mrgreen:

The philosophy of this car centers around the performance of the combined hybrid drivetrain. It wouldn't be nearly as quick without it and would have required a MASSIVE rethink to every aspect in order to "dump" it. The people who would complain about it simply don't get it.

>8^)

ER

Ahh, didn't know that. Nevermind then.

Wow, the Aventador's CF chassis weighs 100 lbs more than the P1s!

It is a lot bigger too.

The McLaren one is just a tub.

mclaren_chassis_web.jpg

Lambo's is a cab.

Lamborghini%20Aventador%20Monocoque%20Ch

It is a lot bigger too.

The McLaren one is just a tub.

mclaren_chassis_web.jpg

That's the 12C's Monocell. McLaren have not released imagery of the P1 Monocage, but it encapsulates the entire occupant space in addition to the tub in the 12C.

>8^)

ER

That's the 12C's Monocell. McLaren have not released imagery of the P1 Monocage, but it encapsulates the entire occupant space in addition to the tub in the 12C.

>8^)

ER

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I thought the chassis was the same for both cars. :icon_thumleft:

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I thought the chassis was the same for both cars. :icon_thumleft:

No but the engine is. I wonder who will be the first to get 900 hp out of the MP4 and create a budget P1

To give you a better idea, the roof scoop on the P1 is actually integrated into the Monocage.

8509053611_0ffdafca3d_b.jpg

>8^)

ER

No but the engine is. I wonder who will be the first to get 900 hp out of the MP4 and create a budget P1

The engine is similar but not the same. McLaren have cast a new block for the P1 and strengthened internals and beefed up the cooling in order to add the addition 111 hp from the combustion engine. The same basic architecture is used and the overall displacement are equal, but it is not a matter of simply adding more boost to the 12Cs lump.

>8^)

ER

The engine is similar but not the same. McLaren have cast a new block for the P1 and strengthened internals and beefed up the cooling in order to add the addition 111 hp from the combustion engine. The same basic architecture is used and the overall displacement are equal, but it is not a matter of simply adding more boost to the 12Cs lump.

>8^)

ER

Im sure companies like UGR will take the necessary steps to beef up internals. They do it with the Gallardos after all :icon_mrgreen:

Not suggesting that it isn't possible for others to fiddle with the 12C's powerplant. I was simply attempting to dispell the common misconception that the engine in the P1 is the 12C's motor with more boost. Even based on the limited info they have supplied so far it seems to be a lot more than that. Recasting the block was not an inexpensive endeavor.

>8^)

ER

F70 for me anyday.. This shit is bunk ass UGLY...

Trying to give this car respect as it's obviously engineered at a level that deserves incredible praise...but I find myself nowhere near as interested, excited, or looking forward to it as much as I was the original F1 at this same point all those years ago.

Trying to give this car respect as it's obviously engineered at a level that deserves incredible praise...but I find myself nowhere near as interested, excited, or looking forward to it as much as I was the original F1 at this same point all those years ago.

Call me crazy but I think the Agera R is more attractive. More power, nicer interior, looks better on the outside too.

i was all excited in the beginning and ready to buy one... once all this came out and saw the first pics just lost the fever...

performance specs sound great but there are many choices out there today...

be fun to watch the enzo p1 war though

be fun to watch the enzo p1 war though

War??? :jester: lol. There is no war.

The Enzo replacement is sold out the moment they tell people, "we will allow you to buy a..." response "SOLD!"

The McLaren will not be sold out for a while.

Truth is, Ferrari is in a league of their own when it comes to the exclusive limited edition hypercar market. They don't have to sell them, they have to choose who they will sell them to. No other company is in that position with million plus cars.