Rhershey

Allan-Herbie

Guys, it may be not that bad of a situation.

Peter, when I rebuilt my 82, the parts alone were over 20K and that was a long time ago....to do it YOURSELF just the parts are going to be well over 25K. To do it right with that much wear..cams have to be reground..new valve adjustment caps...waterpump, oil pump, regrind crank, valve job, timing chains, adjusters, rings, bearings,sleeves ,clutch,pressure plate, throwout bearing,slave cylinder,maybe valve guides..etc. etc. It is that bad of a situation if you have to pay someone to do it...now your talking interior,paint,suspension bushings....everything wears in proportion...when it is that beat...EVERYTHING is beat! :eusa_wall:

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am i confusing you with someone else that was in the market? Sorry, but i might be (i've read too much about countachs maybe). I thought you were looking for a car to "save" and or work on .... that you had some experience and mechanical knowledge..? Am i thinking of someone else that was looking for a needy car? (hope it works out great for you, and THANKS Roy for the input and price estimate).

I can't wrap my head around buying a car that you know needs work and not laying a pair of eyes on it. I know Allan bought his sight unseen, but he was going to send it in for a resto anyway. I would think if I was going to tackle it myself I'd get a look at what I'm in store for. I wish you the best, but you knew you were paddling up shit creek, you should have know what size paddle to bring.

Its like I said... No matter what shape its advertised at, be prepared to spend CASH..But even with this car, at 175k , realise you would indeed have a fully restored, as new Countach. Its not going to get cheaper than that.

I can't wrap my head around buying a car that you know needs work and not laying a pair of eyes on it. I know Allan bought his sight unseen, but he was going to send it in for a resto anyway. I would think if I was going to tackle it myself I'd get a look at what I'm in store for. I wish you the best, but you knew you were paddling up shit creek, you should have know what size paddle to bring.

December 2005. I was so burnt out after getting hit by two hurricanes, the destruction to my homes, commercial properties, etc that I decided that I was going to buy a car to get myself out of the funk the previous four months had put me in. I located a "fixer upper" 1978 LP400s just a few hours away. The seller told me the car needed paint but was otherwise in decent condition, I didn't want to waste the time to look at it and was going to wire the money. The day I was going to do so I took off from work in the middle of the day and decided to drive over and look at the car, thank god I did. Let's just say that when I did see the car with my own eyes, it took all I had to leave without getting into a fight with the seller. The car was an absolute mess that IMO needed a $200k+ restoration, mind you, it was priced right (in retrospect I'm ashamed to say just how cheap it was) but had I not seen the car in person, I suspect I would have been where Russ is today.

To make things worse on the trip back, I stopped by to see another CT, this one a 1976 LP400 that needed a full restoration, I passed on it for $50k (UGH) cause I was in such a funk over the other car.

December 2005. I was so burnt out after getting hit by two hurricanes, the destruction to my homes, commercial properties, etc that I decided that I was going to buy a car to get myself out of the funk the previous four months had put me in. I located a "fixer upper" 1978 LP400s just a few hours away. The seller told me the car needed paint but was otherwise in decent condition, I didn't want to waste the time to look at it and was going to wire the money. The day I was going to do so I took off from work in the middle of the day and decided to drive over and look at the car, thank god I did. Let's just say that when I did see the car with my own eyes, it took all I had to leave without getting into a fight with the seller. The car was an absolute mess that IMO needed a $200k+ restoration, mind you, it was priced right (in retrospect I'm ashamed to say just how cheap it was) but had I not seen the car in person, I suspect I would have been where Russ is today.

To make things worse on the trip back, I stopped by to see another CT, this one a 1976 LP400 that needed a full restoration, I passed on it for $50k (UGH) cause I was in such a funk over the other car.

Maybe this car was forsale by the same guy who sold Rhershey his car!

It is my fault for not looking at this car. I have said that it is my fault and I am a adult (most of the time). It's just when I make a mistake it had to be a big one for not getting a plane ticket. I am still talking to Tony to get this taken care of.

Hahaha, I remember that car and how disappointed you were! That was Tony I's lp400s. Well, I'm glad it was priced right.

I guess some peoples perception of a certain condition is not the same as another person. And we all have to accept that. Too many horror story and too many heartbreaks.

Am i confusing you with someone else that was in the market? Sorry, but i might be (i've read too much about countachs maybe). I thought you were looking for a car to "save" and or work on .... that you had some experience and mechanical knowledge..? Am i thinking of someone else that was looking for a needy car? (hope it works out great for you, and THANKS Roy for the input and price estimate).

+1

You were looking for a light project, correct?

+1

You were looking for a light project, correct?

I'm looking for a poject but I want a Low body and I'll take a QV but I really want a Low body.

He was asking 40grand for that S1 right? didn't someone here buy it? We had updates for some time with photos.,, but

nothing in a long time now. I think that car is STILL being restored so obviously a huge project.

I think a few members here actually looked at the car.

Let's get an update.

He was asking 40grand for that S1 right? didn't someone here buy it? We had updates for some time with photos.,, but

nothing in a long time now. I think that car is STILL being restored so obviously a huge project.

I seem to remember 75k

Looks cool in that picture. I think Tony bought, then sold it to Ralph. Something is wrong with Ralph's access to this site so he won't be able to post any info here.

Looked good in the picture. If I remember right, he painted the wheels gold for this picture.

Picture is very misleading.

I seem to remember 75k

It was less.

Picture is very misleading.

+1

Looks cool in that picture. I think Tony bought, then sold it to Ralph. Something is wrong with Ralph's access to this site so he won't be able to post any info here.

The same Tony that I am dealing with?