In the market for 100-130K car (first supercar)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does being in Los Angeles help or hurt my causes?

I have never seen the diablo in person.

Your into exotics, live in LA, and have never seen a Diablo in person? :eusa_think:

You thought about trying a Viper? It is a good entry to exotic because it is pretty much maintenance free and gets lots of attention. It kind of gives you a peek into the experience of owning an exotic without loosing your ass.

Plus they are fun as Hell. I had 6 of them before I got into Ford Gts and lambos.

I don't recall ever seeing one up close.

In 2000 when the Murc came out, I didn't even drive.

Fair enough. Are you dead set on the attention grabbing exotics or have you considered something like the 997 Turbo?

Fair enough. Are you dead set on the attention grabbing exotics or have you considered something like the 997 Turbo?

Haha you know I must admit I like the attention grabbing aspect quite a lot especially given that this will be my first foray into supercar territory.

What kind of cars do you own?

Don't get an exotic, they're like cocaine! They're addictive, they're lots of money, and once you get one, you can't stop wanting spend more into them!

I bought my Gallardo for $43,000 from a hispanic drug dealer on a deal gone bad and spend over $200K from a second mortgage to do modifications! I lost my fiancée, she believe that I this called disease Carbon fever! I lost my job because I waste thousands of hour on the computer and on my phone browsing LamboPower, and I now am without a house because I can't make my payments!

Damn Lambo!! WHY!?!? WHY ME!?!? Wished I never laid my eyes on you!!

Wish I can go back to the days of my turquoise Toyota Paseo!

Haha you know I must admit I like the attention grabbing aspect quite a lot especially given that this will be my first foray into supercar territory.

What kind of cars do you own?

I got hundreds. But they're all boxed up under the stairs for now.

Heres a few attention grabbers for you in your price range. Let us know what you end up getting.

http://www.symbolicmotors.com/detail-2007-...ed-8062216.html

http://www.ogaracoach.com/car/ZHWGU22T96LA03518

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search...?itemid=1626559

How do you know when its the right time to purchase an exotic for 150k?

I feel like someone that makes around 200k a year can afford one if they dont live a very lavish lifestyle. On the other hand there are people who make half a million per year and drive a car worth 40k and still barley get by

You are kidding me right ? And what does one do when there is a big repair or maintenance bill ?

gradstudent if your concerns are depreciation and cost of ownership I would recommend to stay away from exotics until such time your budget will allow you to drop the coin without being worried about these incidentals.

You are shopping at the bottom of the market you are obviously bound to get something which isn't 100% and you are very concerned with various costs which you without any doubt will incur so my advice to you is this:

if you have $100k to $130k to spend on an exotic unless you are prepared to burn without flinching $50k to $60k of it on purchase costs, maintenance, insurance, transfers, depreciation and other incidentals during an ownership period of approx 2 years keep the money in your pocket until such time your financial position enables you to do so.

There is not a lot of logic involved in the purchase of a non tax deductible (in most cases) cash hungry depreciating asset, exotic car purchase does not make financial sense, you must be prepared to burn $$$ than burn some more, you can now understand why many members here are responding in a way you didn't expect.

Stay away from exotics unless you are 100% comfortable purchasing one, it is not a shame, most of us worked from the bottom to get where we are, be smart with your hard earned $$$.

Good luck with whatever you might decide.

There is good advice here. I would also suggest you think through why you want to purchase an "exotic" and what you want to do with it. Keep it for a year or two and sell it, Garage Queen, DD, "Arrive" Car, want to check out tracking a car etc? You might decide that you would like to do a couple of these alternatives. Each one will have a different financial impact over time. I recommend doing the why and what homework first, run the numbers on the "cost" to make this happen, cosider Fortis' advice here, determine the alternatives, make a decision, and enjoy. Once you get to the alternatives part of all this, there are a number of folks both here and on other car boards who can offer suggestions as to what you might consider based on their experience. Best of luck.

There is good advice here. I would also suggest you think through why you want to purchase an "exotic" and what you want to do with it. Keep it for a year or two and sell it, Garage Queen, DD, "Arrive" Car, want to check out tracking a car etc? You might decide that you would like to do a couple of these alternatives. Each one will have a different financial impact over time. I recommend doing the why and what homework first, run the numbers on the "cost" to make this happen, cosider Fortis' advice here, determine the alternatives, make a decision, and enjoy. Once you get to the alternatives part of all this, there are a number of folks both here and on other car boards who can offer suggestions as to what you might consider based on their experience. Best of luck.

Thank you for the advice.

Do you mind expanding what the Garage Queen, DD, Arrive car are exactly?

I'm assuming Garage Queen refers to a pretty car that sits in the garage polished... Arrive car sounds similar in purpose as well.

My purpose in getting an exotic would be because I want to play with one while I'm still relatively young.

I have a daily driver and would probably never consider driving a car like that for commute.

As far as alternatives are concerned, I think Gallardos or F430 seem lovely although not quite as evocative and visceral as a Murcielago...

Thank you for the advice.

Do you mind expanding what the Garage Queen, DD, Arrive car are exactly?

I'm assuming Garage Queen refers to a pretty car that sits in the garage polished... Arrive car sounds similar in purpose as well.

My purpose in getting an exotic would be because I want to play with one while I'm still relatively young.

I have a daily driver and would probably never consider driving a car like that for commute.

As far as alternatives are concerned, I think Gallardos or F430 seem lovely although not quite as evocative and visceral as a Murcielago...

You are kidding right? The more questions you ask the more it's sounding like a research paper and not a car search.

The guys here would have no problem helping out with either. Just be honest and upfront

You are kidding right? The more questions you ask the more it's sounding like a research paper and not a car search.

The guys here would have no problem helping out with either. Just be honest and upfront

:iamwithstupid: If you aren't familiar with the terms garage queen and DD I am guessing you are either very young, possibly under 18? or you lived under a rock all this time.

Hello all,

I'm planning to get a 100-130K car for my first supercar experience and flip it in 1-2 years.

My friend recently flipped his Gallardo and got an F430 and I had the chance to test drive both of them.

Although I absolutely LOVED the experience, for a childish reason, I really wanted the scissor doors.

Ever since I was a little kid, I've always been a fan of Lamborghinis and it would really be a dream to own one.

But now that I am able to buy one, I am not too keen on losing money on maintenance costs, insurance, tax, depreciation, etc.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Which car would you consider as your first supercar in this range (or around it)? (year and model)

2) How do you typically find and execute these kinds of purchases? (eBay, autotrader, exotic classifieds, exotic dealerships, out-of-state delivery, etc)

3) How does one avoid pitfalls in buying a lemon supercar?

4) On a related note, how does one avoid losing too much money in the ways of insurance, tax (finance vs. all cash), etc?

I would suggest getting an gallardo- sick car in your price range.

Speaking from experience, I would highly recomend checking out global autosports. They only list luxury cars from both private sellers and dealerships across the US.

Heres a link to their gallardo page (my lambo reccomendation for that price)

http://www.globalautosports.com/model/159/...rghini-Gallardo

theres a ton of cars to look thru- im sue u will find one you like. Hope you find this helpful.

I would suggest getting an gallardo- sick car in your price range.

Speaking from experience, I would highly recomend checking out global autosports. They only list luxury cars from both private sellers and dealerships across the US.

Heres a link to their gallardo page (my lambo reccomendation for that price)

http://www.globalautosports.com/model/159/...rghini-Gallardo

theres a ton of cars to look thru- im sue u will find one you like. Hope you find this helpful.

3 posts, all directing to www.globalautospams.com

They aren't trying to promote anything are they... Give them the ax!

Oh man my mistake...must have been $238k...thought that was too good when I was looking at them.

Most of the listed inventory listed seems to be way out of date as well...many of those cars have long sold.