Considering purchasing MP4...but 500 miles away from a Mclaren Service Center

emissary

I've been looking to spend $200k on an LP-640 for a while, but as prices on MP4's have dropped, I've started thinking that I should be considering the McLaren as well. The issue is that I live in Bend, OR, and the nearest McLaren dealership is in San Francisco, about 500 miles away. Is this a deal breaker? I would love to purchase an MP4, but the distance from an authorized service center makes me nervous. I'm not sure how much I can rely on my local independent in this case. Any thoughts from previous/current MP4 owners? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might want to check out the discussions on McLarenLife. A couple of others have raised this question, including recently from someone in Colorado who is nearly split in distance from Dallas and the two SoCal dealers. Several owners responded with comments about the dealers handling transport for service issues.

Here's that specific thread:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-...e-colorado.html

You can also contact Alessandro at McLaren San Francisco and I'm sure he can explain the provisions they would make under different circumstances. He is one of the best sales agents I have met.

McLaren are also looking at expanding their dealer network in the next two years before the baby McLaren is launched and I know they are considering the Pacific NW as another strong market to leverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see a dealer in Seattle eventually which would be a bit closer for you.

>8^)

ER

Most dealers will help out with transport on warranty issues. Especially Philly dealer. They have been excellent!

haven't had mine long but from what i've determined they are very reliable cars.

You would need an annual service. An excuse to drive to SF once a year.

How many miles per year do you think you would log on her?

Anyone know if they plan on adding an Atlanta or North/South Carolina dealership eventually?

Nope.

haven't had mine long but from what i've determined they are very reliable cars.

You would need an annual service. An excuse to drive to SF once a year.

How many miles per year do you think you would log on her?

Probably no more than 700 miles per year; it would be a third sports car for me.

Thanks for the advice guys. And thanks for the McLaren forum link -- that's really useful.

I would ask VBoxKing and Mac-N-It to make your introduction to McLaren Philadelphia. I am sure they will take good care of you. The MP4 is a brilliant car and I wish you many great miles ahead!

Probably no more than 700 miles per year; it would be a third sports car for me.

700 per year? I put that on in a week as a daily driver. You shoudn't worry abouit a service center just a continual battery charge!

A guy at our track bought an MP4. He tracks it and drives it as a weekend "fun" car (not a DD). He is pretty low key on track - doesn't really push it.

He had several electrical problems. McLaren Philly made a "house call" to Pittsburgh (roughly 6 hour drive) and brought their tech. They also picked up the car. All issues were under warranty - but last time I saw him - still not resolved after a few visits. Annoying things like the engine hatch "open" light stays on even when the hatch is properly closed. Other annoying things like when there's an electrical fault the dash won't display any other info.

He likes the car but is disappointed in the problems. Not sure if his is representative of the brand. It was one of the first delivered in the U.S.

After my experience with the Lambo I'd be reluctant to buy any car that I can't easily service locally or within an easy drive. It's inconvenient and expensive and adds time to the service visits.

At 700 miles per year, you can live in the Bahamas and you would be fine.

If you have questions you can pm me. The car is pretty much bullet proof!

At 700 miles per year, you can live in the Bahamas and you would be fine.

If you have questions you can pm me. The car is pretty much bullet proof!

I just can't relate to 700 per year. Who spends that kind of money takes depreciation,insurance costs,sales tax cost,etc

and then parks it basically?

No one I know.

I was going to make a separate thread, but figured since some owners of the MP4 are posting here, I'll highjack the thread a little....

Is the MP4 now the best $200k car available?

I was an inch away from buying a California for my wife (who wants a convertible btw), and to be honest, the McLaren seems like so much more car for a similar price. I can't believe I was looking at a 2011 California too, and I've seen a couple of $200k MP-4 cars out there already.

I'm all over the market, but there are '12 Aston DB9 verts for under $200k, and then on the flip side, you still can't get into a 2010 458 for $200k.

Wife likes the Maserati Gran Turismo vert, but it's in a different league than the F California and Aston, but still a very nice car. I'm tempted to get her a newer SL550 or a used Maserati, and trade my Gallardo for the MP4. I know it's a much faster car, but will the "drama" of the Gallardo be lost with the McLaren?

I know I'm all over the place on this post, but up until 10 minutes ago, I didn't know that you could get a 2012 Mp4 for $200k.

I was going to make a separate thread, but figured since some owners of the MP4 are posting here, I'll highjack the thread a little....

I was an inch away from buying a California for my wife (who wants a convertible btw), and to be honest, the McLaren seems like so much more car for a similar price. I can't believe I was looking at a 2011 California too, and I've seen a couple of $200k MP-4 cars out there already.

I'm all over the market, but there are '12 Aston DB9 verts for under $200k, and then on the flip side, you still can't get into a 2010 458 for $200k.

Wife likes the Maserati Gran Turismo vert, but it's in a different league than the F California and Aston, but still a very nice car. I'm tempted to get her a newer SL550 or a used Maserati, and trade my Gallardo for the MP4. I know it's a much faster car, but will the "drama" of the Gallardo be lost with the McLaren?

I know I'm all over the place on this post, but up until 10 minutes ago, I didn't know that you could get a 2012 Mp4 for $200k.

Why don't you let her decide...

Interesting perspective Kinsella. She'll ultimately decide (at least partly), but I'll set the wheels in motion (so to speak) with the choices.

To go back to my original post, the big deal for me is that I don't feel like getting a Ferrari California is worth the same as getting a McLaren.

And as I also mentioned above:

I'm tempted to get her a newer SL550 or a used Maserati, and trade my Gallardo for the MP4.

I'm in Newport this week so I'll talk to the dealer there. Would still love some feedback on the questions though...

even for 300k theres not a better option IMO.

i like the mp4 over the G and 458 and the numbers speak for themself!

im sure when the new G comes it will be a different story but for now the Mac holds the torch IMO

whats great is, your girl can take this to the mall and fill up trunk with 6-7 bags thow it in "D Auto comfort mode" and shes off!

the next day you could be sideways going into turn 6 at 110mph! just picture a exotic/refined GTR!!

I'm in Newport this week so I'll talk to the dealer there. Would still love some feedback on the questions though...

Talk to Nick at Newport he knows these cars/market etc.

You have to look drive a hard bargain and stay firm! GREAT CAR!

Mine was MSRP 294 with almost every option. Had 2200 miloes on it and yes was British racing Green (which I've come to enjoy)

I took at bath on my trade in .....148k for 2012 Audi R8 TT. He has that for sale for 165K (which He won't get)

Trying to talk wife into letting me trade in her 09 R8 plus cash for my old Audi R8 TT.

Miss that car..truely incredible but don't think it will happen!

LOVE the Mp4 in MANUAL mode but think it has no soul in Automatic mode.

Thanks for the response. There's only 1 car listed online for right at $200k, but before I get too far ahead of myself, I'm going to drive one on Thursday this week. Hopefully I'll fit in the car.

Hey Vboxking - any commentary on getting in and out of the car, and driving position for a tall guy like yourself?

I took at bath on my trade in .....148k for 2012 Audi R8 TT. He has that for sale for 165K (which He won't get)

Trying to talk wife into letting me trade in her 09 R8 plus cash for my old Audi R8 TT.

I am shocked you didn't try and sell the R8 TT rather then trade it in...especially at that price.

I am shocked you didn't try and sell the R8 TT rather then trade it in...especially at that price.

I did no response.no offers even. A VERY undrated ride imho!