Murci vs LP640 - Much of a difference?

mickb

Hi Guys by way of introduction, I live in Ireland and currently own a 360 Challenge Stradale and a 997 GT3RS but am dying to scratch a Lambo itch.

Gallardo is out (I believe a lambo must have scissor doors), and to be honest I think the Murci is the best looking lambo out there (yes I prefer it to either Aventador or Diablo).

But I'm sort of stumped as to whether to get LP640 or a "regular" Murci.

The couple of people I trust to source me a car are of the opinion that the Murci is where the value currently is.

In the UK at the moment, good murcis are anywhere between £80-£100k while LP640's are £130k-£150k.

So is the LP640 worth an extra £50k over an equivalent spec Murci? Would you notice the difference in 95% of usage or is it really only at 10/10th's you can tell the difference?

Am I right that the difference (aside from the power obviously) is some cosmetics (and I must admit I do prefer the LP640 front end), the brakes, some suspension tweaks?

One thing that might sway it for me (and you don't buy a Lambo for practicality but I need to be realistic) is the availability of the lifting gear. I think this is probably essential for me where I live.

I'm sure lots of you have faced this same dilemma. Any words of wisdom?

Hi Guys by way of introduction, I live in Ireland and currently own a 360 Challenge Stradale and a 997 GT3RS but am dying to scratch a Lambo itch.

Gallardo is out (I believe a lambo must have scissor doors), and to be honest I think the Murci is the best looking lambo out there (yes I prefer it to either Aventador or Diablo).

But I'm sort of stumped as to whether to get LP640 or a "regular" Murci.

The couple of people I trust to source me a car are of the opinion that the Murci is where the value currently is.

In the UK at the moment, good murcis are anywhere between £80-£100k while LP640's are £130k-£150k.

So is the LP640 worth an extra £50k over an equivalent spec Murci? Would you notice the difference in 95% of usage or is it really only at 10/10th's you can tell the difference?

Am I right that the difference (aside from the power obviously) is some cosmetics (and I must admit I do prefer the LP640 front end), the brakes, some suspension tweaks?

One thing that might sway it for me (and you don't buy a Lambo for practicality but I need to be realistic) is the availability of the lifting gear. I think this is probably essential for me where I live.

I'm sure lots of you have faced this same dilemma. Any words of wisdom?

Admitedly this topic has been covered MANY MANY times, and a simple search would reveal that. Yeah thats a typical 'dick' response, but its true.

However, I'll respond to it, which will likely re-start the discussion/debate. I own a regular murci and had expected to upgrade to the lp640, but the reality is, the jump just isnt worth it. I'd rather just hold out until the Aventadors aren't the hotness and can be picked up for a reasonable price. The murci truely is the 'sweet spot' for getting into one of these cars and having 99% of the fun.. the wow factor is the same, the performance is better in the lp640, but its still going to get its ass kicked by a simple GTR, so you dont buy either one of them to be 'king of the hill' in performance, so we must be doing it for the looks.. and the murci has it in spades.. some will argue it looks dated compared to the lp640, but I just dont agree, both are relatively benign compared to the LP670 and so if you want 'updated' then the lp670 is where its at, the lp640 and murci look to much alike for a proper argument about people knowing the difference. The Lp670, definitely.

Good luck, the lp640 IS a better car, no doubt, but it still suffers from much of the same challenges the murci does, and neither is truly all that fast compared to the standards today of what comes out of Dodge, Chevy, Nissan, etc. The Murci is the frugal choice that gives nearly as much fun. Money no object, get a lp670.

Oh and unlike the Gallardo, ALL verions of the Murci's 2002-2010 have the lifting gear.

Admitedly this topic has been covered MANY MANY times, and a simple search would reveal that. Yeah thats a typical 'dick' response, but its true.

However, I'll respond to it, which will likely re-start the discussion/debate. I own a regular murci and had expected to upgrade to the lp640, but the reality is, the jump just isnt worth it. I'd rather just hold out until the Aventadors aren't the hotness and can be picked up for a reasonable price. The murci truely is the 'sweet spot' for getting into one of these cars and having 99% of the fun.. the wow factor is the same, the performance is better in the lp640, but its still going to get its ass kicked by a simple GTR, so you dont buy either one of them to be 'king of the hill' in performance, so we must be doing it for the looks.. and the murci has it in spades.. some will argue it looks dated compared to the lp640, but I just dont agree, both are relatively benign compared to the LP670 and so if you want 'updated' then the lp670 is where its at, the lp640 and murci look to much alike for a proper argument about people knowing the difference. The Lp670, definitely.

Good luck, the lp640 IS a better car, no doubt, but it still suffers from much of the same challenges the murci does, and neither is truly all that fast compared to the standards today of what comes out of Dodge, Chevy, Nissan, etc. The Murci is the frugal choice that gives nearly as much fun. Money no object, get a lp670.

Oh and unlike the Gallardo, ALL verions of the Murci's 2002-2010 have the lifting gear.

Thanks for going easy on me. I have searched and looked at all the different opinions. One thing that makes it slightly different for me in Ireland is that there is absolutely no market for these cars whatsoever here. There isn't a Lamborghini dealer in the south and the only Ferrari dealer is in Belfast.

I think there might be one other Murci in the South for example and the taxes here mean I need to assume that I will not be able to get rid of this car easily and it could become a keeper. This makes getting the right car all the more important for me.

I guess one option looks wise would be to get a Murci and put on an LP640 front bumper?

I agree with Jon in that for 95% of secenarios they will serve you equally as well. I would suggest if you can, getting an 05 and up with the larger 8 piston brkaes and the newer Koni black shocks. All Murcielagos have the lift system, but the early Koni's are more prone to leak if the lift is used since the pressure on the seals is so great, and the seal material is very rigid. You might be able to get them rebuilt, but if not a new shock is $4K. The LP640 has completely different shocks, a redesigned engine for smoother power and better low end torque. Rule of thumb is usually get the newest model you can. Ensure that it's maintenance is up to date with a repuatble shop. Lower mileage is not always the best either, if you can find a car thats been used semi-regularly and serviced you will have less issues. I bought my Roadster 5 years old with 2K miles and the front lift lines, front diff, actuator, and steering rack seals were leaking. Luckily I had a good mechanic inspect it and he caught all the issues which the dealer rectified. Jon mentions performance, and while yes a GTR will leave you behind, don't be fooled, the way even the 6.2L puts it's power down is epic, and in such a low wide vehicle it's a unique experience.

Jon mentions performance, and while yes a GTR will leave you behind, don't be fooled, the way even the 6.2L puts it's power down is epic, and in such a low wide vehicle it's a unique experience.

Solid and equally accurate assessment.

i found there being a big diference btw the lp580/murci vs the lp640, in the engine department. that alone for me is worth the difference in price.

no idea what the figures say, but the power delivery and torque difference was very noticeable. fwiw, they were driven on exactly the same stretch of road.

plus, i much prefer the look of the lp640.

value ... thats for you to decide. i think its worth the extra.

Thanks for going easy on me. I have searched and looked at all the different opinions. One thing that makes it slightly different for me in Ireland is that there is absolutely no market for these cars whatsoever here. There isn't a Lamborghini dealer in the south and the only Ferrari dealer is in Belfast.

I think there might be one other Murci in the South for example and the taxes here mean I need to assume that I will not be able to get rid of this car easily and it could become a keeper. This makes getting the right car all the more important for me.

I guess one option looks wise would be to get a Murci and put on an LP640 front bumper?

So what is it about the murcielago that makes you want one? Given that getting service will be difficult I'd go for the newest/best kept one you can afford. The Murci will feel old and rickety and creaky.

So what is it about the murcielago that makes you want one? Given that getting service will be difficult I'd go for the newest/best kept one you can afford. The Murci will feel old and rickety and creaky.

I actually personally prefer the look of the LP640 and its what I think I want, but as i said, I am being steered for value reasons towards the older car.

I actually personally prefer the look of the LP640 and its what I think I want, but as i said, I am being steered for value reasons towards the older car.

Sorry Mick, I missed that point. I still stand by get the best car you can afford. If I were you I'd consider gettting a manual transmission over an egear since you don't have anyone to service your car.

Make sure the car has a reliable service history and be sure to have it looked over by a mechanic that really knows murcielagos and the problems they can have to make sure you don't end up with a huge repair soon after purchase.

If looks are the only real driver for you, yes you could do aftermarket 640 bumpers or 670 bumpers to update the look.

The majority of people in the WORLD can't tell a murci from an lp640 so in Ireland you'll already be a rock star which ever car you have, and it depends on how you feel about the car.

Sorry Mick, I missed that point. I still stand by get the best car you can afford. If I were you I'd consider gettting a manual transmission over an egear since you don't have anyone to service your car.

Make sure the car has a reliable service history and be sure to have it looked over by a mechanic that really knows murcielagos and the problems they can have to make sure you don't end up with a huge repair soon after purchase.

If looks are the only real driver for you, yes you could do aftermarket 640 bumpers or 670 bumpers to update the look.

The majority of people in the WORLD can't tell a murci from an lp640 so in Ireland you'll already be a rock star which ever car you have, and it depends on how you feel about the car.

This is the advice I have usually followed. I bought the CS last year after two years of searching for an immaculate car. My GT3RS was a similarly maintained car.

But in buying these there wasn't the same price gap between good/bad cars as currently exists between Murci/LP640.

I think ultimately (and I probably already know this) I need to drive both and see what floats my boat. I guess the issue is the difficulty getting test drives as from bitter experience with the previous two cars (both of which I also had to source in the UK) you sometimes find yourself having taken an entire day to fly over, maybe rent a car and do a couple of hundred motorway miles to discover that the car described as "mint" was far from it.

This is the advice I have usually followed. I bought the CS last year after two years of searching for an immaculate car. My GT3RS was a similarly maintained car.

But in buying these there wasn't the same price gap between good/bad cars as currently exists between Murci/LP640.

I think ultimately (and I probably already know this) I need to drive both and see what floats my boat. I guess the issue is the difficulty getting test drives as from bitter experience with the previous two cars (both of which I also had to source in the UK) you sometimes find yourself having taken an entire day to fly over, maybe rent a car and do a couple of hundred motorway miles to discover that the car described as "mint" was far from it.

My personal assessment, I had an 04 Murci. I like it and sold it when I thought I wanted a superleggera to replace it. I've been carless since and trying to decide what to get. I decided on an lp640. To me the difference will be worth it. True the differences aren't large, but to me personally they are large enough to justify the price increase.

LP640 to 580 will be similar to the GT3RS vs. C2S. It's a better car because the laking areas have been addressed, but not completely different and to the untrained eye is the exact same thing.

The major perks of the 640 to me is the bigger engine displacement and better brakes.

Not all early '02 cars had nose lift, it was an option.

As far as value is concerned, the 580 cars have bottomed out in value. The LP640 cars have bottomed out/are close. The Murci, like the Diablo and Countach, is so different from the Aventador, that I don't see Aventado prices having a major effect on the Murci lineage. With that said, I think that down the road, the manual cars will have some extra value (LP640 for sure) over e-gear cars since Lambo manuals are dead.

IMO low number of owners > mileage

I think Id prefer to have a early Murci 6spd, over an Lp640 Egear.. If the choice is both Egear, then the LP640 is worth it..

After racking 300 miles since Thursday on my LP640, there's no way I would go manual (even thou I was holding out for one) the snap in sport mode at redline is worth the price of admission.

After racking 300 miles since Thursday on my LP640, there's no way I would go manual (even thou I was holding out for one) the snap in sport mode at redline is worth the price of admission.

The egear on the Lp640 is much improved over cars. Cant wait to see the car!

The egear on the Lp640 is much improved over cars. Cant wait to see the car!

We need to do a LP PCH cruise, I can think of a half dozen owners within 20 miles of each other.

Interesting.

Interesting.

It really is, trying to manage a 4WD with a manual at redline is more than I could probably handle. Its just that much car.

This is pretty amazing. By far the most fun automated transmission ever. The gear change is the type of violence that you would expect from man-handling the shifter of a big block muscle car with the intent of grenadeing the rear diff or shattering gears. It doesn't matter that GTR, Ferrari, etc change gears faster.

Gonna go test drive one for sale on sat -'see how the egear compares to my LP560.

Truth be told the Egear of the LP560 is far superior to the one in the LP640. The tech at Lambo BH said he has changed tons of clutches on Egear 640's but has yet to do one on a 560. Food for thought. The 640 maybe is more attractive to posers and they drive them that way, as opposed to the 560 which is a drivers car whom actually know how to drive the egear.

Truth be told the Egear of the LP560 is far superior to the one in the LP640. The tech at Lambo BH said he has changed tons of clutches on Egear 640's but has yet to do one on a 560. Food for thought. The 640 maybe is more attractive to posers and they drive them that way, as opposed to the 560 which is a drivers car whom actually know how to drive the egear.

Could also be a function of the increased engine torque, car weight and drivetrain.

07,08 LP640 egear same as 07 08 gallardo.

09LP640 egear same as lp560.