Known issues and current pricing.

kinnsella

Considering buying a fax machine. Are there any known issues. What are they selling for now? I drove one that really had a worn drivers outer bolster, it only had 7500 miles.

M-power seems to a graveyard so I posted here.

A friend has an early 2012 - one of the first to deliver. Has had problems since day 1. Annoying electrical problems, dash panel display problems. Bought it in Philly (ordered new) and they've been good about picking up the car or making house calls. He says every time it gets fixed something else breaks.

He does drive it on track but he's quite slow and not tough on the car relatively speaking. He drives abbreviated sessions and short shifts, etc.

The paint is gorgeous.

there are issues that come up sparingly on the mclaren forum. most have to do with the nav/radio system hanging or the bluetooth not operating properly. there was one incident which he had damaged engine; one that had overheating issues; and several with transmission oil leaks (which were all replaced by the factory).

i got my MP4 on July 2012. it has about 2500 miles only. the only issue that has come early in the ownership was a slight leak in the suspension hydraulic fluid. dealer had to tighter some bolts and that's it. the car has had the update done and annual service. no other issue ever since. i've taken it to a mile run and track and it performed flawlessly.

I've had mine for 500 miles. So far, so good. The nav system does crash, but don't really use it anyway. Cars with a few thousand miles seem to be sub-200 now. I say that's pretty damn good value, but doesn't mean of course that they won't go lower. Seems like there are a lot for sale.

It is interesting, when you think about it, there really aren't that many for sale. I say that because when you go on Cars.com and look at the numbers, there are 52 for sale in the US including dealer stock. Compare that to 2012 Gallardo product at 50 cars and you have the same number. The thing to remember about the McLaren, they aren't building any coupes for 2013. They popped out a couple of them and now they are done.

As for issues, my buddy has had two of them. The only real problems, outside of resetting the Iris every so often, were the airbrake having a small failure (had to replace the servo motor) and an issue with the internal piece that reads the oil level breaking. All replaced under warranty, wasn't a big deal and he loves the car. I sold his 458 coupe and spider once he got a Mac coupe and spider. He now has a special edition spider on order for Nov delivery.

One might argue that there are a lot of issues with the car, and they would have a point to an extent. The difference is, how many issues did the Gallardo have when it came out? Let me tell you, it had all of them. That car was the most lovely car when it debuted, and it was the biggest POS for the first two years in regards to everything going wrong with it. That said, look at it now. They came out with patches, they came up with upgrades, they came out with new clutches and now the car is holding value better than just about anything. The McLaren will do the same or better in my opinion, it is much more, from a performance perspective, than the current crop of cars is by far. Those numbers will dwindle. Heck, we had a flurry on this board where, within a week or so, 5-6 members bought them in a row. It will happen again.

You can buy cars for back of 200k and cars for a bit over 200k. There are discounts to be had on new ones, and to my understanding there are no new 2012 cars left. The supply is dwindling. I think you are going to pay a little more for the right colors and options, but that is the same with anything. You go for a lesser desirable color with some miles and you should get a smoking deal.

Try to buy one with late serial number. Mine was one of the last 50 built in 2012 end of August I have had 0 problems 3000 miles early cars had all kinds of problems late cars not.

Try to buy one with late serial number. Mine was one of the last 50 built in 2012 end of August I have had 0 problems 3000 miles early cars had all kinds of problems late cars not.

Thanks, could you give an example of a vin with a late production date (last five is all that is needed)

Only issue my Mp4 has had is one of the 2 engine lid latches stopped working. Mclaren PA flew a tech out within a couple of days and replaced it on the spot. It didn't render the car undriveable or really affect anything other than having an error on the dash. I bought it new from Mclaren PA, and paid a little more (in relation to MSRP) since it was brand new, a good color, and was a medium sticker with the right options. You can get a lot more off MSRP on an ultra high sticker car, because there's so many high priced carbon options that dont bring much on resale. I have close to 1000 miles so far and loving it. Compare that to my brand new 2013 Aventador, which had a gear box malfunction at 200 miles which rendered it undriveable. Its fixed now (and was a pretty easy fix), but it was a pain in the ass having to have it sent back to the dealer for a couple of weeks. Bottom line is, all new cars will have their growing pains, and Mclaren (as well as Lambo) has stepped up and addressed things in a pretty timely fashion.

It is really nice to see and hear just how proactive McLaren has been in dealing with there issues and how willing they are to fix them rather then tell you to trailer it to the nearest facility or saying it isn't their problem.

Only issue my Mp4 has had is one of the 2 engine lid latches stopped working. Mclaren PA flew a tech out within a couple of days and replaced it on the spot. It didn't render the car undriveable or really affect anything other than having an error on the dash. I bought it new from Mclaren PA, and paid a little more (in relation to MSRP) since it was brand new, a good color, and was a medium sticker with the right options. You can get a lot more off MSRP on an ultra high sticker car, because there's so many high priced carbon options that dont bring much on resale. I have close to 1000 miles so far and loving it. Compare that to my brand new 2013 Aventador, which had a gear box malfunction at 200 miles which rendered it undriveable. Its fixed now (and was a pretty easy fix), but it was a pain in the ass having to have it sent back to the dealer for a couple of weeks. Bottom line is, all new cars will have their growing pains, and Mclaren (as well as Lambo) has stepped up and addressed things in a pretty timely fashion.

I wish my dealer was as accommodating. I get the feeling some dealers are a hell of lot better than others. Philly is more or less a stand alone dealership and I've heard decent things about them. Dealers who also sell the Ferrari product have some attitude bleed-over and it seems McLaren has little control in that respect. It's a shame because it ruins the ownership experience.

mine is an early 2012 car, #199 and has the 2013 updates done, been perfect so far, I've put 1200 miles on it...

lot's of people complain about the IRIS system, nav/radio interface, and I agree, it sucks for a $300k car, and I'm usually a real stickler for that kind of stuff, but in this car I just don't care at all, never use it, I plug in my iPhone if I want music and go....

should be able to get into a well optioned and good color 2012 coupe for low 200's and I think they'll hold that line for a while... if you're ok with silver or green, you can get em for less...

I just watched top gear season 20 episode 3 with the volcano yellow MP4 Spyder, 458 and R8, wow it looked badass, if a good preowned one comes up, I'm all over it....

Spider_1_2370197b.jpg

Only issue my Mp4 has had is one of the 2 engine lid latches stopped working. Mclaren PA flew a tech out within a couple of days and replaced it on the spot.

They are such a great dealership. I remember when that happened and I was very impressed with how they conducted themselves.

Bottom line is, all new cars will have their growing pains, and Mclaren (as well as Lambo) has stepped up and addressed things in a pretty timely fashion.

:iamwithstupid:

I said it on here the first time I drove both and I'll say it again... I prefer the MP4 over the 458. Even more so in convertible form. The coupe in Volcano Red... well everyone knows how much I've beaten that drum. It is sex on wheels! :monkeyleft:

McLaren needs to focus their design team on developing a more identifiable look (headlights with personality - the headlights and shape to the front make it easily mistaken for a 360 or 430). That is what is hurting them the most. There are amazing deals on the MP4 out there. You cannot get more car for the money in that segment. That said, if I found a 550 spyder optioned the way I want, I would buy it in 10 seconds. So, I still like the gallardo a lot more. The MP4 is a great car and VBOXKING's endorsement only makes me think more of it. :icon_thumleft:

...But VBOXKING also has a 550 spyder! :la: :eusa_clap: :eusa_dance: :P

Thanks, could you give an example of a vin with a late production date (last five is all that is needed)

The switchover to 2013 was at about 1800 Most 1700+ cars were built in Aug 2012 Sept. started the 2013