Exotic pets

white viper

I hope you tell everyone at shows that you got your lambo from selling ball pythons.

Would love to see some of your gator/tort set ups.

Balls did pay for the bull

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Balls did pay for the bull

I was joking about the kids that buy a couple morphs and think they can breed them and become rich. Thats awesome you were able to do that. It is, I'm sure no joke that it was ton of work and determination. Kudos to you buddy. Your bino tort/turtle collection is crazy.

I had a mated pair of Red Mandarin Dragonets back in '01. I even got them to eat flake and other dry foods instead of only live food. They would lay eggs but they would never hatch. Was still pretty cool to watch. Took forever to get the red female in at the pet store. I kept calling our suppliers and finally got one...man was I a nerd!

I was looking for a Red but wasn't having much luck finding one locally. It is a lot of fun to watch them buzz around hunting for pods although I am hoping to get her to accept flake or frozen food too.

my saltwater tanks are a huge money pit lol i have a 135 gallon reef and a 300 shark tank not to mention over 700 snakes and other reptiles

What jungle do you live in?!!

the truth is if it was not for privet breeders and some zoos so many animals would lost i agree if you cant feed them dont breed them.

I agree with your main point. The problem I have is with owners who are naive and unprepared for ownership. Snakes in particular are extremely invasive and the Everglades have been permanently changed by invasive pythons that were released by owners who gave up. I remember reading the story about the man that released two pet snakeheads near the Potomac river. Now that whole ecosystem is fucked. Frogs in Australia, Asian carp, kudzu vines, lamprey in the Great Lakes, and feral hogs in the southern states are all examples of ignorant humans ruining a balanced ecosystem.

Across the world there are sanctuaries for abandoned big cats, reptiles, bears, apes etc. All these animals have found better homes than their original owners were able to provide, but many are severely neglected, starved, or euthanized without ever getting a second chance. This story, along with this one are both sobering evidence of how wrong things can go, for owners and caretakers, and for the animals.

My main point is that just like raising a child, an owner should be realistic and fully prepared to deal with their pet throughout it's whole life. In a way some animals are an even bigger commitment. Kids eventually grow up and become self sufficient. A snake, gator,lion , tiger, bear, etc. may actually outlive the owner and will only require more care and food as it gets older and larger. In my opinion the percentage of owners who are fully prepared to own an exotic pet with this level of forethought is quite small.

Just my two cents, not judging anyone.

the truth is if it was not for privet breeders and some zoos so many animals would lost i agree if you cant feed them dont breed them.
I agree - but I think a responsible owner must do more than feed them. Providing adequate habitat is the very least.

I agree with your main point. The problem I have is with owners who are naive and unprepared for ownership. Snakes in particular are extremely invasive and the Everglades have been permanently changed by invasive pythons that were released by owners who gave up. I remember reading the story about the man that released two pet snakeheads near the Potomac river. Now that whole ecosystem is fucked. Frogs in Australia, Asian carp, kudzu vines, lamprey in the Great Lakes, and feral hogs in the southern states are all examples of ignorant humans ruining a balanced ecosystem.

My main point is that just like raising a child, an owner should be realistic and fully prepared to deal with their pet throughout it's whole life. In a way some animals are an even bigger commitment. Kids eventually grow up and become self sufficient. A snake, gator,lion , tiger, bear, etc. may actually outlive the owner and will only require more care and food as it gets older and larger. In my opinion the percentage of owners who are fully prepared to own an exotic pet with this level of forethought is quite small.

Just my two cents, not judging anyone.

Bravo AudiBull. I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm not judging anyone either.

Owning one of these creatures would not be my choice. To each their own. But be responsible about it, and do the research BEFORE making the commitment so letting them loose can be avoided.

I was looking for a Red but wasn't having much luck finding one locally. It is a lot of fun to watch them buzz around hunting for pods although I am hoping to get her to accept flake or frozen food too.

I was fortunate enough to work at a pretty decent pet store in Middle School and High School. I primarily dealt with the Saltwater Livestock and loved every minute of it. I am not kidding when I say it took me over a year to find the Red mate. I was calling our distributors struggling to find one and it took forever.

As for the live to dry food transition I had 2 things that helped. First I have a thriving 55 gallon reef. Not very big but it was WAY overstocked with corals and the like. I did copious water changes to keep everything in line but that is for another discussion. Anyway I had over 75 pounds of legit Fuji liverock that was crawling with goodies. I also had Mandrins that loved live brine shrimp. I started mixing in frozen brine with the live and they started eating that too. Before I knew it they would take Tetra flakes.

Hope it helps!

I had Wild Caribe piranhas from Venezuela. They were bad ass until I moved into a house that had well water. I sold the fish, but I miss the stand more than anything haha. Here is them eating a tilapia filet. There is a pic of my stand under the video.

Stand11.JPG

stand14.JPG

I was fortunate enough to work at a pretty decent pet store in Middle School and High School. I primarily dealt with the Saltwater Livestock and loved every minute of it. I am not kidding when I say it took me over a year to find the Red mate. I was calling our distributors struggling to find one and it took forever.

As for the live to dry food transition I had 2 things that helped. First I have a thriving 55 gallon reef. Not very big but it was WAY overstocked with corals and the like. I did copious water changes to keep everything in line but that is for another discussion. Anyway I had over 75 pounds of legit Fuji liverock that was crawling with goodies. I also had Mandrins that loved live brine shrimp. I started mixing in frozen brine with the live and they started eating that too. Before I knew it they would take Tetra flakes.

Hope it helps!

It doesn't help that I live about 70 miles from the nearest decent saltwater fish store, it took me two months just to find somebody with a healthy looking Green in stock. I have two culture tanks and a small refugium to help keep my copepod population up but I haven't tried live brine shrimp yet. I'll have to give that a shot.

Man I just got a golden doodle.... He is wearing my ass out. Stepped in a pile of his shit last night..... He is exotic enough for me.

Really would love to see some more pictures of that tiger and lion. I have always wanted one.

This is my personal pet Her name is betty

A couple more years and that little guy will make a great wallet.

Jk, kinda.......not really.

You want to go really "exotic," there are some massive worms length-wise from the oceans, like up to six or more feet in length, and they can eat small animals. They look like something from the depths of hell though.

i also have 10 foot albinos alligators

the albino babys are 17,500 each expensive wallets

Heard of the stereotype of the woman with a bunch of cats, but not of the man with a bunch of reptiles :)

You want to go really "exotic," there are some massive worms length-wise from the oceans, like up to six or more feet in length, and they can eat small animals. They look like something from the depths of hell though.

Lampreys? Not just the ocean. A charming Roman aristocrat called Vedius Pollio kept a pool of huge lampreys on his estate, he'd throw slaves in there as a (fatal) punishment.

Two headed sulcata tortoise

W...T...F? Seriously....WTF?

I used to have a Sun Conure and 2 Leopard Geckos. Doesn't seem so cool now though. *kicks dirt*

my saltwater tanks are a huge money pit lol i have a 135 gallon reef and a 300 shark tank not to mention over 700 snakes and other reptiles

Do you have any more information on your shark tank and pictures?