Key Fob - Protecting it and making it awesomer

gtdave

It's disheartening to buy a $280K car and have a key that looks almost identical to my old VW Jetta TDi (that was my daily driver for a while). It's also a bummer when you buy a used car and the key has the previous owners "essence" - dirty, scratched, etc.

When I had my clear bra installed last week, I asked the installer for some scraps. I came home and created a prototype protector. The clear looked really cool - made the key seamless and glossy.

Today, I went back to the installer to get some touch-ups to my tint, and he let me print out my patterns for my key fob with different colors. Here's what I came up with to match my car. I was thinking about printing off more of these, and letting my daughter, whose taking an entrepreneurship class in highschool sell these for her school project. Let me know if you would be interested in a particular color or black. If we make a kit, it will include the self-healing XPEL clear for the metal logo to prevent it from being scratched, and a clear cover for the buttons.

fob.jpg

so it's a vinyl wrap that goes onto the key fob? looks nice but how did you print the lambo shield?

also, what kind of design is on the button side of the key fob? i would imagine the wrap would wear out fast.

very interesting. if you can do this right, you can cover a lot of different cars

so it's a vinyl wrap that goes onto the key fob? looks nice but how did you print the lambo shield?

also, what kind of design is on the button side of the key fob? i would imagine the wrap would wear out fast.

very interesting. if you can do this right, you can cover a lot of different cars

The colored vinyl part has a cutout for the existing logo - it simply lays directly over it. Then, I used clear Expel (much thicker than the vinyl) to cover the metal logo/emblem because the emblem typically gets destroyed by tossing your keys around. My last Lambo came with keys with an almost unrecognizable logo because of scratches. Disheartening.

I also used the clear expel on the button to protect it from getting circular "glossy" spots from being pressed, and also to prevent fading of the white icons.

I have a lot of faith that the emblem is protected because it's self-healing clear-bra material. But I'll do some testing to see how tough the vinyl is.

fob2.jpg

I checked my mailbox and it hasn't come yet, to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. What gives?

Dave I am going to send you some bubble wrap lol. All these protection questions. You just need more POWAA!!!

Are the lock/unlock buttons covered too? They look shiny in the pic above...

Yes. The logo and the buttons have clear-bra material for protection.

I just asked about Carbon fiber and we're looking into some options for this.

I should have some more info next week about how I can make these available.

• 2 weeks later...

As a new Lambo owner I wanna buy everything but this is one that I goota pull the trigger on.

Let me know how to get my little fingers on on of these for mine please.

I just asked about Carbon fiber and we're looking into some options for this.

I should have some more info next week about how I can make these available.

:icon_thumleft: