Need help from the computer/network guys

Roman

I will try it when I get home. But if by "other networks on the same channel" you mean neighbors and such, no chance. Closest neighbor is a mile as the crow flies. And I doubt the cows have wifi.

Could be even the 2 of them being on close enough channels to cause issue. The best thing to do if you are the only one around with separate networks is set the wireless channels on non-overlapping channels. 1, 6 and 11 are non-overlapping. So set one router to channel 1, one to 6, or to 11.

Hard to say for certain if that would be the issue. However, I do not think we're looking at an ip conflict if you're getting some packet loss and can sometimes connect. If we were talking an ip conflict, you just wouldn't get out on anything. However, since you're able to get some packet loss and some response, that's an indicator something is causing either interference, or as Placid suggested, you may have 2 devices not wanting to work with each other.

You could check and see what mode your router is set to. Some will let you change it "back a step" - for instance, wireless N you could set to G. Your adapter won't care if it's N or G because it should be able to connect to either, but some generations work better on different devices and different connection methods when there are compatibility issues. Of course, your speeds would be slower, but might find more compatibility with it. You might also try different authentication methods. Some cards and routers have issues talking WPA/PSK or WPA2. So try one or the other, or start at the list of options and test each method until you arrive back at the original and see if it acts differently. If it does, it's a compatibility issue.

Keep in mind if you change the authentication methods or network type, your computer is probably going to forget it so you'll have to enter the password again. However, these are easy things to rule out.

I would hate to run you on a wild goose chase looking for viruses and malware when it makes more sense to go through the basics of ruling out the obvious here which is that it works great on one network, but not on another and you can reproduce it. So starting through process of elimination on that network of trying different connection methods, isolating the possibility of channel interference and the possibility of an incompatibility issue with one of those methods... those will cost you nothing except a few minutes of your time and effort instead of downloading more software onto your computer and jumping to conclusions of it being a virus or malware first. Settings can always be returned to normal and if they don't work, then continuing onto further investigation at that point is warranted.

sometimes nic cards just don't work with the router or with other cards. it happens a lot these days. my alienware lapotop boots Macs from wifi networks. My gf can't get online when I fire the beast up.

I'd agree with Josh on using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers but i am thinking hardware/firmware is conflicting.

I strongly suggest trying another browser just in case a toolbar or extension is corrupt. I'd also look at your HOSTS file just in case there is something going on in there that may have been modified by legit or malware.

Ran malwarebytes.... Full of bad stuff.... Cleaning didnt help the issue though.

Ran malwarebytes.... Full of bad stuff.... Cleaning didnt help the issue though.

Have you tried changing the wireless mode yet? As I said it varies how you do this depending on the driver and Windows version, but basically you should be able to do it on the properties tab of the wireless card. Hopefully you have some options similar to this, try disabling 802.11n Mode, and maybe force it to A or G mode.

props.PNG

Yeah, Malwarebytes would have been the one I suggested but usually malware won't attack the network connection directly, it would usually just screw around with the software...unless one of them hit the software for the network card.

Because this works on another router and it's just one router that is causing a problem, it sounds like there's a problem with directly connecting to the Netgear router and the other one is allowing it to connect. This makes sense, as the Netgears usually require up to date network cards. I ran into this problem with dad's work laptop and the desktop when we used to have it, pretty much for my desktop, the router and network card just were refusing to connect. I wasn't really able to actually fix it since my guess was the technology was too old...the laptop network card actually had a setting where I simply swapped it, rebooted the router and it worked.

The other option would be to force a static IP on the desktop (sorry, didn't see if you had done this), and then turn on the devices connecting to the one causing the problem and see if it catches then. If it doesn't, and you aren't able to update the drivers of the network card, you may need a new network card.

This is assuming that Placid's idea doesn't work.

P.S Did you notice when cleaning the issues from Malware bytes if anything was located in Windows/Sys32/Drivers? If so, then you may need to reinstall the driver as fixing it would have only gotten rid of it, but not corrected the issue.

Have you had a chance to try this: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-45038-i...-2nd-user-is-on

Im going to try to switch the card into B or G mode, but Im not sure its an option (never looked before)... But after that, Im giving up.

Yeah, I wanted to not have to share my bandwidth with the boys computer, but Im getting 6MB/s and its more than enough for me... Plus this gives him access to the network printers.

Is the 2nd network 2.4 or 5.0ghz? I am wondering if your network card is 2.4 and you are trying to get it on a 5.0 network.

Is the 2nd network 2.4 or 5.0ghz? I am wondering if your network card is 2.4 and you are trying to get it on a 5.0 network.

How would I find out?

Your ping is successful part of the time. Makes it sound like you've got multiple paths or routes.

Are the 2 networks plugged into each other? Maybe sharing the same internet connection or something like that.

Have you tried the hardwired connection on network 2? Saw it was suggested but didn't see if it was done.

Can you post up a full ipconfig /all ?

RomanDad: Sorry, you also asked about a free virus scanner - Avast is the one I've seen that's actually very good currently, for free especially. I'd go with that one.

Avast is a hunk of dog shit garnished with a tramps bogey.

Microsoft security essentials covers the bases well after you have run the malicious software removal tool.

Haha, really? I have the exact opposite experience than you did. I've had Microsoft security essentials screw up horribly for me on more than one occasion. But that security essentials is the thing that will also stop being updated for Windows XP, so he'll run into that problem with it or without it.

Haha, really? I have the exact opposite experience than you did. I've had Microsoft security essentials screw up horribly for me on more than one occasion. But that security essentials is the thing that will also stop being updated for Windows XP, so he'll run into that problem with it or without it.

I had Avast! running on 20 computers at our office and switched to BitDefender. Avast didnt stop shit.

security essentials doesn't even run on Windows XP. It's a new product for Win7 and Win8. it came out about a year and a half ago.

You are probably thinking of the one that came preinstalled on Vista. I can't remember what it's called, but support has been canned on it a while back.

If you are running a computer that has WinXP, seriously consider getting a new one. In a couple months XP support will be discontinued. When that happens, most virus scan software will stop functioning.

I had Avast! running on 20 computers at our office and switched to BitDefender. Avast didnt stop shit.

Weird...never tried BitDefender before. Guess I will at some point to see how it is.

security essentials doesn't even run on Windows XP. It's a new product for Win7 and Win8. it came out about a year and a half ago.

You are probably thinking of the one that came preinstalled on Vista. I can't remember what it's called, but support has been canned on it a while back.

Windows Defender then maybe? One of them was absolute garbage, in all fairness, as I haven't owned a computer in 3 years, I also may be a bit out of date with my software stuff.