Long Term Solution to this f'd up country

dinko

or do what I did, Section 8 paid for my Lambo. Win-Win.

:icon_mrgreen:

Get yours! I can just see you pulling into a Sec8 Neighborhood in the LP Roadster, collecting rent, and hauling ass out of town. :lol2:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:icon_mrgreen:

Get yours! I can just see you pulling into a Sec8 Neighborhood in the LP Roadster, collecting rent, and hauling ass out of town. :lol2:

Did that the first week I had it. Its actually a great run from the 405 to 5 to the 14.

Did that the first week I had it. Its actually a great run from the 405 to 5 to the 14.

Can it outrun a bullet?

A dodge ram with a hemi?

Just remember that not everyone who receives government assistance is a leech. I know a majority of you guys have come from the bottom and worked your way up but let me give you an idea of what life is like for me right now.

Monthly income after taxes - $1320

cellphone bill- $100 (includes my mothers cell phone)

Rent- $400

Utilities - $200

Car insurance- $100

Monthly gas cost - $280

Expendable income- $240 a month or $60 a week

$60 has to cover food, car maintenance, unexpected events and if my Mom needs any help. There are many weeks where all I can afford to eat is Ramen noodles, this shit sucks but I deal with it. Next week I've got an appointment to apply for food stamps and Medicaid....I HATE asking anyone for money, it makes me feel subhuman. I get sick to my stomach knowing that I have to go tell someone, who is sitting right in front of me, that I cant even support myself.

I'm not asking for pity, all I ask is that next time you see someone getting government assistance take a second to think what's going on in their life. Don't judge them and don't look down upon them just think that your tax money is helping someone survive, if it wasn't for your help they might have to go hungry.

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Sorry to hear about the troubles you find yourself in right now Marley. Unless you have a ton of points or accidents on your record we need to work on your Car Insurance first. 2 cars in DC and they were never over $100 a month COMBINED. Can probably save a few bucks there.

Cell phone. That is almost 7.5% of your monthly income. That has to come down too. Might be worth the short term hit of an Early Termination Fee to cancel it and get on a pay as you go plan for ATT GoPhone or Boost Mobile. Even T-Mobile has some decent plans WITH data now that are cheaper.

I lost my job in November of 2011 and wasn't working full time again until the end of February 2012. I had savings built up to help offset the difference but Unemployment, family and the 17 weeks of work I was able to land in that time helped me out. It totally changed my view of UC and those who need it. I still would describe myself as a fiscal conservative but I understand why for societies sake it makes more sense to pay our UC to some people rather then let them fail.

I hope you land a better position soon!

Sorry to hear about the troubles you find yourself in right now Marley. Unless you have a ton of points or accidents on your record we need to work on your Car Insurance first. 2 cars in DC and they were never over $100 a month COMBINED. Can probably save a few bucks there.

Cell phone. That is almost 7.5% of your monthly income. That has to come down too. Might be worth the short term hit of an Early Termination Fee to cancel it and get on a pay as you go plan for ATT GoPhone or Boost Mobile. Even T-Mobile has some decent plans WITH data now that are cheaper.

I lost my job in November of 2011 and wasn't working full time again until the end of February 2012. I had savings built up to help offset the difference but Unemployment, family and the 17 weeks of work I was able to land in that time helped me out. It totally changed my view of UC and those who need it. I still would describe myself as a fiscal conservative but I understand why for societies sake it makes more sense to pay our UC to some people rather then let them fail.

I hope you land a better position soon!

Thanks for the kind reply Hannibal.

I pay for my cellphone bill and my mothers cell phone bill as well so that is why the cost is so high, she has some serious health issues and I want her to be able to contact me 24/7. I was thinking about switching to virgin mobile but their reception isn't great it my neck of the woods. If I could I would get rid of it all together. I've had a couple of fender benders in my not so distant past and need to have full coverage since it is my only mode of transportation and work is 40 miles away.

I know that eventually I will get out of this rut and that is what keeps me going from day to day. I was seriously considering joining the Air Force so I could get some education but health issues will prevent that from happening.

Anyway I don't want to turn this thread in to something about me, I just wanted to provide some perspective for those who have never had to deal with it before.

Marley sorry to hear you doing it tough, not sure what you situation is and what you do, how old you are, etc but you have a car, phone, Internet you must be able to make more than that a month.

Move, look for opportunities, if you need some guidance reach out, the only things you have to bring yourself is the drive, hard work and willingness to succeed.

Sorry for the hard times Marley, but it's a do what you have to do situation. As mentioned, look at cutting costs wherever possible.

What is the value of your car?

Insurance seems high, look into that, and or get a less valuable car and go liability only.

Cut your cell bill, that should be closer to $40/mo, you need no frills.

Pick up a second job to boost your income. Look at being a banquet server at a hotel, preferably near an airport. You would shit at the $$$ in tips some of those guys make doing the big parties.

Just remember that not everyone who receives government assistance is a leech. I know a majority of you guys have come from the bottom and worked your way up but let me give you an idea of what life is like for me right now.

Monthly income after taxes - $1320

cellphone bill- $100 (includes my mothers cell phone)

Rent- $400

Utilities - $200

Car insurance- $100

Monthly gas cost - $280

Expendable income- $240 a month or $60 a week

$60 has to cover food, car maintenance, unexpected events and if my Mom needs any help. There are many weeks where all I can afford to eat is Ramen noodles, this shit sucks but I deal with it. Next week I've got an appointment to apply for food stamps and Medicaid....I HATE asking anyone for money, it makes me feel subhuman. I get sick to my stomach knowing that I have to go tell someone, who is sitting right in front of me, that I cant even support myself.

I'm not asking for pity, all I ask is that next time you see someone getting government assistance take a second to think what's going on in their life. Don't judge them and don't look down upon them just think that your tax money is helping someone survive, if it wasn't for your help they might have to go hungry.

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I dont think anyone in this thread is against Government assistance for those in need (temporarily) to overcome life's hardships. Heck-I would want assistance if I ever had a sustained hardhsip. What I do think most people have a problem with is people abusing the system to feed 15 children when they cant afford to have 1 child, or being on the take your entire life. There are some situations (unforeseen medical conditions, or medical predispositions) which make it impossible to work, and I think everyone is 100% fine with assisting there too.

My problem is I see leeches in front of Publix in Miami trying to sell their EBT card for cash every month so they can buy drugs with it insted of groceries, or pulling up in a Mercedes and paying with food stamps.

That is what gives Joe American a bad taste in their mouth over the whole government assistance and handouts situation.

Marley, I am 100% in favor of you having assistance if you need it. but I also think there is more you could be doing for yourself. Dig up the boot strap thread, if you're interested I can help you get started.

Marley sorry to hear you doing it tough, not sure what you situation is and what you do, how old you are, etc but you have a car, phone, Internet you must be able to make more than that a month.

Move, look for opportunities, if you need some guidance reach out, the only things you have to bring yourself is the drive, hard work and willingness to succeed.

Trust me I'm looking for new places to work right now, I sent in 4 applications yesterday and three Sunday. I won't stop sending applications until I can at least get a part time job or a better paying full time job.

I just put my cell phone on craigslist so I could pick up a standard no frills cell phone so I can cut back on some of the cost. This hasn't been going on forever its just been the last several months that have been hard.

Thanks for the kind words Fortis.

Sorry for the hard times Marley, but it's a do what you have to do situation. As mentioned, look at cutting costs wherever possible.

What is the value of your car?

Insurance seems high, look into that, and or get a less valuable car and go liability only.

Cut your cell bill, that should be closer to $40/mo, you need no frills.

Pick up a second job to boost your income. Look at being a banquet server at a hotel, preferably near an airport. You would shit at the $$$ in tips some of those guys make doing the big parties.

Thanks Emanon.

My car is worth $1000-$1500 at the moment (the result of some previous fender benders.) I would like to be able to keep full coverage if I can incase something serious happens, I have some points on my insurance, they consider my car a sports car (2000 Honda Accord coupe) and I have a pretty low deductible. I might have to raise my deductible or just get rid of full coverage all together.

As I said to Fortis I put my cell phone on craigslist so I can pick up a cheapo phone so I can get rid of the internet (US cellular won't let me get rid of internet on my Samsung) and I've been putting in applications to any job that I am qualified for.

I dont think anyone in this thread is against Government assistance for those in need (temporarily) to overcome life's hardships. Heck-I would want assistance if I ever had a sustained hardhsip. What I do think most people have a problem with is people abusing the system to feed 15 children when they cant afford to have 1 child, or being on the take your entire life. There are some situations (unforeseen medical conditions, or medical predispositions) which make it impossible to work, and I think everyone is 100% fine with assisting there too.

My problem is I see leeches in front of Publix in Miami trying to sell their EBT card for cash every month so they can buy drugs with it insted of groceries, or pulling up in a Mercedes and paying with food stamps.

That is what gives Joe American a bad taste in their mouth over the whole government assistance and handouts situation.

Pockmark I am with you 100% on the leechers, I see them buying steaks and ribs and Colas with the food stamps while I have Ramen Noodles and some milk and it drives me absolutely nuts.

I wasn't trying to call anyone out in particular I just wanted to give some perspective to those who have never been in such a situation.

Anyway as I said before I didn't want to turn this thread into something about me, just wanted to give some perspective. Everyone have a great day.

This is not about people who are going through hard times, that can happen to anyone, it's about irresponsible people who's sole purpose in life is living off of others, like the woman in the video with a dozen children thinking the world owes her a living. Sorry to hear about your current predicament. Best of luck, I hope your situation changes soon.

Thanks Emanon.

My car is worth $1000-$1500 at the moment (the result of some previous fender benders.) I would like to be able to keep full coverage if I can incase something serious happens, I have some points on my insurance, they consider my car a sports car (2000 Honda Accord coupe) and I have a pretty low deductible. I might have to raise my deductible or just get rid of full coverage all together.

Man there is absolutely no reason to have full coverage on a $1500 car. Get that thing on liability and cut your expenses right there.

I'd take up MODO on his offer. Hell, I'm curious what he has to say.

Man there is absolutely no reason to have full coverage on a $1500 car. Get that thing on liability and cut your expenses right there.

I'd take up MODO on his offer. Hell, I'm curious what he has to say.

Thanks

We've been going back and since he posted.

Glad to see you are taking the advice and trying to help youself. I realized I kind of came across as a douche saying I've been there because 3 months of unemployment. I was actually unemployed from Nov of 10 to Feb of 12. Like I said it sucked but it is dooable.

I'd also rather work 2 crap part time jobs then a shitty full time. I can't speak to your particular situation but for me it came down to money. I'd rather make less per hour but have 65-70 hours split between to jobs and make more money then a higher rate but only 40 hours a week.

Again dont know your situation and you may need the time more then the cash. Just trying to help!

I have no issues with people in TEMPORARY need of public assistance. Every once and a while people go thru hard times. It's the leeches who habitually go on assistance, continue to have kids they can't support and able bodied people that refuse to work that I want off the public dole

I have no issues with people in TEMPORARY need of public assistance. Every once and a while people go thru hard times. It's the leeches who habitually go on assistance, continue to have kids they can't support and able bodied people that refuse to work that I want off the public dole

:iamwithstupid: :icon_thumleft:

What emanon said is good advice for Marley. If you have ever been a server at a restaurant-a banquet server at a nice hotel or resort can pay very well. Do you live in a metropolitan city, or in the outskirts somewhere?

The thread was somewhat dying, so dont worry about crashing the thread.

You also have a computer and the Internet. There are a ton of things you can do for extra cash. Not sure what your skillset is, but be creative.

Some suggestions:

Do simple jobs anyone can do at https://www.mturk.com/mturk/

See if you have a skill you can sell on http://fiverr.com/

If you are a technical person (and you might not even realize if you are or not). Pick up a book on developing mobile apps and develop apps for App Store or Google Play.

Learn how to make websites, earn revenue through advertising or affiliate marketing.

These are all things you can do with little to no startup capital. Also check out the bootstrapper thread for flipping items from craigslist.

Marley what's your passion? Maybe you can monetize that, worth giving it a go!If nobody gives you a job can you generate one on your own?

Marley, as others have mentioned, this thread is strictly for those who abuse the system and want guys like you and me and everyone else on this forum to pay for them. I'm sure it doesn't make you feel great that even out of your pay check, someone who has no will to get a job is getting by just because they "exist".

Just by signign up on this forum tells us all that you strive for more. Ups and downs in life happen you just need to find your way and don't stop until you do. Pochmark, Sprite, Modo all will have great advice to give you - be open to receiving it and look at what you can do. Just remember, nothing makes you different from anyone else on this planet. Unless you have missing limbs, no arms/legs, etc. then I can understand. But you'll be surprised what you are capable of doing. Once you do find "that thing" you will see your income increase as well and you'll be glad you went through the hard times. At the end of day, hard times make you who you are.

Now back on topic.. Modo, I think it's great you are collecting rent from Section 8 - great business and I applaud you. There is nothing but growth in your business going forward :)

Assman, I completely see where you are coming from. But truth is, they will multiply and eventually overtake those because they "feel" they deserve the nicer lifestyle.

All of our problems can be solved with better politicians; so instead of these bible thumping, ten commandments should be the law idiots, I propose that all individuals seeking higher public office have to renounce god and religion and have an IQ score of more that 135.

Bible thumpers can be highly-intelligent. The notion that highly-religious people are stupid is a misconception. If that was the case, we'd have no worry about Islamic extremists conducting terrorism because they'd all be too stupid to know how to construct any bombs or plot anything. Also, it wasn't stupid people that constructed the mighty Gothic churches. You seem to be of the opinion that only the Bible thumpers are the ideological ones who do not pay any attention to facts. But one will find just as much ideology on the other side of the aisle.

Also I see a few problems with this proposal:

1) Renouncing the existence of a god is not a sign of intelligence, as nobody has any way of knowing whether there is some ultimate creator or not. Belief in a creator does not mean belief in the Christian god.

2) How is "religion" defined? There are some religions that are not officially religions. For example, communism and extremist environmentalism. One will find that in the minds of people who oppose/mock/sneer at conventional religions, and who view religion as something that they are intellectually not prone to falling for, in fact can be extremely religious in different ways, because when religion is suppressed in one form, it can pop up in another form.

During the 20th century, the primary religion for many atheists was communism. It promised a paradise on Earth, worshipped a god (the State), had no problem slaughtering those who did not agree, and was not grounded or based in any real reason or logic. Today a major atheist religion is extremist environmentalism. The types of people who make sure to drive fuel-efficient cars, do everything in an "eco-friendly" manner, view someone driving something like an SUV as a sin of sins, have a worshipful view of trees, etc...

Much of the rhetoric about global warming/global climate change is religious in nature. Are politicians trying to force carbon control regulations onto the public, in a way, engaging in violation of separation of church and state, by forcing what is to some of them really a form of religious belief? Some I am sure do belief the science is correct, but for those whom it's a religion, they are violating separation of church and state.

Thus saying one must renounce "god and religion" to run for public office is a very tricky proposition. Most communists thought they had renounced what they saw as such silly concepts as god and religion.

Bible thumpers can be highly-intelligent. The notion that highly-religious people are stupid is a misconception. If that was the case, we'd have no worry about Islamic extremists conducting terrorism because they'd all be too stupid to know how to construct any bombs or plot anything.

No one said all religious people were stupid. However, at least according to some studies, atheists are statistically smarter than religious people.

http://rt.com/news/atheists-more-intelligent-religious-433/