Countach look out

Pappyslambo

So a buddy of mine is on the hunt for his dream car. If anyone knows of any for sale with these specs please let me know.

Lamborghini Countach

1982-1987/88

5000s or Quatrovalvole

Black exterior

Black interior

Rear wing

Silver wheels

No ugly USA bumpers

No side strakes

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's amazing how much interest there is on this car: i think prices will go up further.

I think this car is THE UNBEATEN SUPERCAR. And the most outrageous ever.

Black - black must be a fantastic monster.

ciao

So a buddy of mine is on the hunt for his dream car. If anyone knows of any for sale with these specs please let me know.

Lamborghini Countach

1982-1987/88

5000s or Quatrovalvole

Black exterior

Black interior

Rear wing

Silver wheels

No ugly USA bumpers

No side strakes

I had certain requirements when I started looking for my Countach. After six months of looking I realized I had to change my requirements in order to realize Countach ownership.With the availability of these cars, flexability will help. A few of these items are easy fixes. Or I should say relatively inexpensive to do, when you look at the entire cost of entry. Wheels can be refinished in any color. Side strakes removed, US bumpers removed. All the parts for these conversions are readily available. Finding a Countach is a lot harder now than it was when I was looking for mine. Good Luck with your search

my personl suggestion in the search for countach:

select a model, find a nice one, pull the trigger ...end

this is the only way to get one for reasonable money and time

if you are too picky, be prepared it to take a lot of time and/or money ... there are not many nice ones in the market at any given time and if you want THAT model with THAT color, THAT interior, with wing...etc it may take years to find a good one

with prices growing like they are today it may not be a good idea to be so picky

when i got my first countach, it was red and let me say... i do not like mcuch red countach....

it was a rare version and one great example, worcking well and was a total joy for me

Put your requirements aside and grab what ever you can get.

Put your requirements aside and grab what ever you can get.

i'll pile on too. I fixed your requirement for you:

Lamborghini Countach

1982-1987/88

5000s or Quatrovalvole

Black exterior

Black interior

Rear wing

Silver wheels

No ugly USA bumpers

No side strakes

engine or body OEM, not hacked or past crash

Unless you are willing and have the means to pay 50 to 200% to pry the car you exactly want from a non seller owner, just get an umolested CT of the type you want or be ready to pay or wait for a very long time. The days you could pick and choose are a decade long gone already

Unlike all the other cars in my small collection, I was able to be selective when I searched for them ie original paint, un-died interior, low mileage, absolutely pristine vehicles. Then came the Countach search. The first seven cars I saw, I walked away from. Then I came to realize that Countach's even when new were not high quality finished cars. Please don't take any offense but I call them Italian kit cars. That is when I realized I had to lower my standards before (what I knew was going to happen) prices escaladed. Believe me I have no regrets. I smile ear to ear everytime I drive that beast :)

I searched for a Countach for 2.5 years and stopped looking. It was sometimes fun, sometimes challenging, and, honestly sometimes just plain depressing. I'm off the hunt for now mainly because it was so exhausting and I have too many other responsibilities. The good news for me is that I also wanted a Diablo and I was able to find the exact car I wanted in that breed. Maybe I'll still find that Countach one of these days. I read old threads on this board from guys shopping around years ago, picking and choosing, debating the merits of one car vs. another, and just laughed...must've been nice, guys.

I started with a list of requirements which also eroded over time to the point that the lesson was beat into me that every Countach is a project. It's only a matter of how much of a project it is. By that, I mean the only way to meet your requirements is to make it the way you want it. You want the euro bumpers, the color, the interior, etc.? It's still a tall order to do right and not F it up. But that's also on top of whatever basic needs the car has under the skin, which is usually noteworthy in even the best cars. The other lesson being that no matter how highly a Countach is spoken of, there are always thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars worth of things that can be done to it to improve it or in preventative maintenance. I arrived at the educated assessment that before I even started thinking about anything cosmetic, the average CT would pull between $30-100k for under-the-skin issues after purchase and then I could start thinking about the paint. Even so, a Countach isn't a normal car to paint with all the parts that need to be disassembled. Sloppy upholstery also doesn't pass in a Countach. Even the slightest half-assery in any aspect on a Countach stands out like a sore thumb. You might as well take into account how much time you'd spend away from the car in the first year making it fit your specs and assess whether that fits within your ideas of what ownership would be like.

In 2.5 years, I never even saw the exact car I wanted for sale anywhere in the world. Even if I cranked my search back up in a buyers' market, I know I'd still be facing the fact that every Countach is a project.

Topcabron...you're a lucky guy. If you only knew how close I was to picking up the phone on that car before you did and the only thing that stopped me was being in the middle of a major move. Ride that bull in good health!

I searched for a Countach for 2.5 years and stopped looking. It was sometimes fun, sometimes challenging, and, honestly sometimes just plain depressing. I'm off the hunt for now mainly because it was so exhausting and I have too many other responsibilities. The good news for me is that I also wanted a Diablo and I was able to find the exact car I wanted in that breed. Maybe I'll still find that Countach one of these days. I read old threads on this board from guys shopping around years ago, picking and choosing, debating the merits of one car vs. another, and just laughed...must've been nice, guys.

I started with a list of requirements which also eroded over time to the point that the lesson was beat into me that every Countach is a project. It's only a matter of how much of a project it is. By that, I mean the only way to meet your requirements is to make it the way you want it. You want the euro bumpers, the color, the interior, etc.? It's still a tall order to do right and not F it up. But that's also on top of whatever basic needs the car has under the skin, which is usually noteworthy in even the best cars. The other lesson being that no matter how highly a Countach is spoken of, there are always thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars worth of things that can be done to it to improve it or in preventative maintenance. I arrived at the educated assessment that before I even started thinking about anything cosmetic, the average CT would pull between $30-100k for under-the-skin issues after purchase and then I could start thinking about the paint. Even so, a Countach isn't a normal car to paint with all the parts that need to be disassembled. Sloppy upholstery also doesn't pass in a Countach. Even the slightest half-assery in any aspect on a Countach stands out like a sore thumb. You might as well take into account how much time you'd spend away from the car in the first year making it fit your specs and assess whether that fits within your ideas of what ownership would be like.

In 2.5 years, I never even saw the exact car I wanted for sale anywhere in the world. Even if I cranked my search back up in a buyers' market, I know I'd still be facing the fact that every Countach is a project.

Topcabron...you're a lucky guy. If you only knew how close I was to picking up the phone on that car before you did and the only thing that stopped me was being in the middle of a major move. Ride that bull in good health!

Yes and no, Singleseat. We are talking of a 30+ year old ITALIAN supercar, that's another way to say "the most unreliable thing in the world": problems are always behind the corner even in the best existent Countach.

An then you cannot place an order like it were a new car so you cannot say "i want XX exterior color with XX interior color, 100% OEM with just delivery miles" and so on: you have to choose among the available cars.

Here in Europe there are a lot of fantastic Countach for sale. The problem is just that USA people doesn't want to pay for them as the euro is very high versus dollar.

I saw here several very good cars (that means exceptional for USA standard) and some truly fantastic, like a red QV really mint: they all were (and some still are) for sale.

I have a friend here in Italy that sells (now) his fantastic white-white 1982 5000S: do you want it? i guarantee for that car, that has a fully rebuilted engine at the Factory internal classic department just two years ago, tested and approved by Valentino Balboni himself. A 100% OEM car with big OEM wing. That's just a money problem: it's not a 120 K USD car, it's a 250 K USD car and a bargain at that price. No wrong pieces, no lacking pieces, no crashes, everything works well: a beauty. If someone wants it, please PM me: i have every single detail and pictures of that car.

ciao

post-23010-1392456488.jpg

post-23010-1392456505.jpg

post-23010-1392456538.jpg

post-23010-1392456576.jpg

It's a tough search. I made offers and looked at about every color of Countach. QV, 2 v, carbed, fuel injected. The best advice I can give is to have your money ready. If you really have to have a certain color/model, start shopping in Europe. The good news, is that the constant movement of 3-10 cars a year out of the US is stopping.

:icon_thumleft:

Yes and no, Singleseat. We are talking of a 30+ year old ITALIAN supercar, that's another way to say "the most unreliable thing in the world": problems are always behind the corner even in the best existent Countach.

An then you cannot place an order like it were a new car so you cannot say "i want XX exterior color with XX interior color, 100% OEM with just delivery miles" and so on: you have to choose among the available cars.

Here in Europe there are a lot of fantastic Countach for sale. The problem is just that USA people doesn't want to pay for them as the euro is very high versus dollar.

I saw here several very good cars (that means exceptional for USA standard) and some truly fantastic, like a red QV really mint: they all were (and some still are) for sale.

I have a friend here in Italy that sells (now) his fantastic white-white 1982 5000S: do you want it? i guarantee for that car, that has a fully rebuilted engine at the Factory internal classic department just two years ago, tested and approved by Valentino Balboni himself. A 100% OEM car with big OEM wing. That's just a money problem: it's not a 120 K USD car, it's a 250 K USD car and a bargain at that price. No wrong pieces, no lacking pieces, no crashes, everything works well: a beauty. If someone wants it, please PM me: i have every single detail and pictures of that car.

ciao

I'm not sure where you were disagreeing with me, since I was saying the same things you were saying. ...there are always going to be issues, and there's no made-to-order solution. You might say the cars are unreliable, but I would just say they are old and "old" simply means more maintenance. Even the guy reading this, thinking, "but my car is in great shape, so that's bs" might indeed have a great car that an expert technician could easily take a PPI at and say, "yep, it needs this list of 100 things."

Beautiful car Albert! That's a good example of a car that would have been $75-85k as little as four years ago in the United States. Now, it's $250k. It'd have a high price on US soil too. Sure the Euro has been strong, but whether that car is $160, $250, or $300, that's a hell'uva jump in one or two years no matter what the economy is doing. Most cars don't make that jump which is why some people are saying either "it's the poster-car generation coming of age with disposable income" or "it's a bubble that's due to collapse."

I'm not sure where you were disagreeing with me, since I was saying the same things you were saying. ...there are always going to be issues, and there's no made-to-order solution. You might say the cars are unreliable, but I would just say they are old and "old" simply means more maintenance. Even the guy reading this, thinking, "but my car is in great shape, so that's bs" might indeed have a great car that an expert technician could easily take a PPI at and say, "yep, it needs this list of 100 things." Beautiful car Albert! That's a good example of a car that would have been $75-85k as little as four years ago in the United States. Now, it's $250k. It'd have a high price on US soil too. Sure the Euro has been strong, but whether that car is $160, $250, or $300, that's a hell'uva jump in one or two years no matter what the economy is doing. Most cars don't make that jump which is why some people are saying either "it's the poster-car generation coming of age with disposable income" or "it's a bubble that's due to collapse."

5 years ago average to great countach were 95-105 k $ in us and 120 k euro in europe

they went up since then but with 75k $ you could hardly buy something more than a project in 2010

5 years ago average to great countach were 95-105 k $ in us and 120 k euro in europe

they went up since then but with 75k $ you could hardly buy something more than a project in 2010

As mr single seat suggests...Countachs in Europe have high prices and do not sell (except for maybe P400)...the price could be 500K Euros or 200K Euros...does not matter.

In North Am there are lots of lookers searching for perfection but with too few dollars.

Keep in mind 1000's were manufactured not 200 like some Ferrari model

\

Paul

\

Paul

there are not that many

3000 manufactured between 76-87.......thats not big numbers

As mr single seat suggests...Countachs in Europe have high prices and do not sell (except for maybe P400)...the price could be 500K Euros or 200K Euros...does not matter.

In North Am there are lots of lookers searching for perfection but with too few dollars.

\

Paul

my opinion is that cars have sure gone up BUT not so much as some suggest

so they were low in 2010 but NOT 75k$ for good ones

they are higher today but not SO high as some asking would tell-think

....so imo they went up but not in such a dramatic way as some are suggesting

there are not that many

3000 manufactured between 76-87.......thats not big numbers

Actually about 1400 were produced up to the Anniversary model (74/88).

There were about 650 of the Anni's produced between '89 and '90.

When you factor in the number that have been lost to accidents and neglect, the selection pool becomes even smaller.

Then, factor in the probability that most Countach are now in the hands of enthusiasts and collectors, who don't need or want to sell them.

Like most here, I think that (and hope) that they are currently undervalued and will, over the next decade rise to price levels befitting of the term Supercar.

The best advice is to understand that finding a Countach is like a potential life mate. You may not find the perfect one, so if you are willing to "settle" and understand its always going to cost you more than you anticipated, you will be relatively happy.

a very good 1989 Porsche 911 3.2 Speedster here in Europe is worth 100 K euro (130+ K USD), 2100 cars made. A Countach pre- Anniversary i think it should not cost less than twice, IMHO, as they are less than 1200 cars (take out the LP400 and S1 S2) and not a "VW Beetle" like the 911.

1200 F40 built: F40 price range is from 0,5 to 1 M. A Countach pre anniversary cannot cost less than the half of an F40

That's my idea of what a Countach should cost, but it's just my opinion.

Good CT cars must cost a lof of money, as it' very expensive and very difficult to fix a CT.

Last month a friend called me and told: "Hey Albert, why don't you sell me your car? i offer you 80 K euro." He was laughing, maybe hoping to have my car for 90-100 K euro or a figure like that.

I answerd his question very seriously. "Yes, the car is your for 80 K euro, no problem. But you have to sell me in advance your F40 for 100 K euro, then you will have my Countach for 80 k" He stopped laughing: there is a lot of interest about Countach, but several buyers are just looking for a big deal that doesn't exist anymore.

ciao

a very good 1989 Porsche 911 3.2 Speedster here in Europe is worth 100 K euro (130+ K USD), 2100 cars made. A Countach pre- Anniversary i think it should not cost less than twice, IMHO, as they are less than 1200 cars (take out the LP400 and S1 S2) and not a "VW Beetle" like the 911.

1200 F40 built: F40 price range is from 0,5 to 1 M. A Countach pre anniversary cannot cost less than the half of an F40

That's my idea of what a Countach should cost, but it's just my opinion.

Good CT cars must cost a lof of money, as it' very expensive and very difficult to fix a CT.

Last month a friend called me and told: "Hey Albert, why don't you sell me your car? i offer you 80 K euro." He was laughing, maybe hoping to have my car for 90-100 K euro or a figure like that.

I answerd his question very seriously. "Yes, the car is your for 80 K euro, no problem. But you have to sell me in advance your F40 for 100 K euro, then you will have my Countach for 80 k" He stopped laughing: there is a lot of interest about Countach, but several buyers are just looking for a big deal that doesn't exist anymore.

ciao

very good points!

i also use these kind of comparison and when you look at prices of other classics the countach looks almost a good deal still...considering how iconic it was and still is

look also at dino 246 prices for example or porsche RS 2700....

also VERY true that there is a LOT of interest around them...a friend of mine is looking for a carbed pre anniversary countach

he call me every weeck and we discuss the cars he find for sale, he believe the right price for a countach is 120-140k euro but cannot find a good one at the price

issue in Italy is that most people wants to buy at 2010 value while the sellers want to sell at "future" value

i think a realistic price for a QV today is around 150k euro...may be a bit more for very nice cars

issue is that nobody with a good car wants to part with it for that much and the few sellers wants 200k euro or more ...and sometimes even for not such good cars...

RESULT? almost no sales! ;)