Bugatti To build 1500HP Hybrid

Vegasgtr

Glad I am not the only one who sees all this hybrid technology as more of a gimmick. I mean what the heck is the point of a hybrid hypercar anyway? People who can afford to buy them don't buy them for the fuel economy.

Glad I am not the only one who sees all this hybrid technology as more of a gimmick. I mean what the heck is the point of a hybrid hypercar anyway? People who can afford to buy them don't buy them for the fuel economy.

Low-emission/zero-emission city centers. You want to go for lunch/dinner and park there - but you can't if you're blowing 16 cylinders. I think it's a badass feature. Leave/enter residences without waking everyone, creep around town, drive indoors, follow people and they not know it then BOOM fire up the engine!

I think if Bugatti could do a camless W16 derived from Koenigsegg's technology and use some of their wizardry then they could extract more power from that motor. But I still stand by that some form of e-mode will be almost a requirement to stay competitive against the other majors. Koenigsegg or Pagani are the boutique brands that can say "no thank you" and stay insane and not compromise anything - they are the ultimate manufacturers. Bugatti seems (to me) to be a luxury brand that commands the top of the food chain in automotive innovation. Whatever will make it the fastest, most mind-blowing instrument will be tacked onto the Veyron successor.

If hybrid tech will make the car faster, I have no problem with it. But if added for political correctness reasons, I do not like it.

I think they need to leave the batteries for others to play with. They have already set the mark from an engineering standpoint. Hell, they are the standard. Nuf said.

I wonder if they could do a hyper car that is a gas-electric, i.e. gasoline engine that is used to drive a generator that then powers an electric motor. I wonder how fast such a car could be made to go?

Low-emission/zero-emission city centers. You want to go for lunch/dinner and park there - but you can't if you're blowing 16 cylinders. I think it's a badass feature. Leave/enter residences without waking everyone, creep around town, drive indoors, follow people and they not know it then BOOM fire up the engine!

I think if Bugatti could do a camless W16 derived from Koenigsegg's technology and use some of their wizardry then they could extract more power from that motor. But I still stand by that some form of e-mode will be almost a requirement to stay competitive against the other majors. Koenigsegg or Pagani are the boutique brands that can say "no thank you" and stay insane and not compromise anything - they are the ultimate manufacturers. Bugatti seems (to me) to be a luxury brand that commands the top of the food chain in automotive innovation. Whatever will make it the fastest, most mind-blowing instrument will be tacked onto the Veyron successor.

While it would be a cool feature, I dont believe the market really calls for those zero emission situations in a big way. Sure the current battery car's marketing (hype) made a big deal about it, but I believe it was sensationalized. Some may argue otherwise, but I just dont see batteries as the future. They have some advantages, but they also add a tremendous amount of weight and complexity to the powertrain. It will be interesting to see whats on the horizon for all these brands including Bugatti, but it wouldnt surprise me if some of these battery hypercar brands never make another car with batteries.

While it would be a cool feature, I dont believe the market really calls for those zero emission situations in a big way. Sure the current battery car's marketing (hype) made a big deal about it, but I believe it was sensationalized. Some may argue otherwise, but I just dont see batteries as the future. They have some advantages, but they also add a tremendous amount of weight and complexity to the powertrain.

Are hybrid vehicles more complex than pure IC engined vehicles (or is this just for hypercars)?

(edited b/c I was confusing electrics with hybrids)

I pretty much feel the same way. I would like to see the 918 or P1 exactly as is minus all the battery/electric nonsense just for a comparison sake. Dropping all that weight I bet the changes would be phenomenal.

I don't know about the P1, but aren't the 918 and ThethetheFerrari motors naturally aspirated otherwise?

In that case, the electric is far more forgiveable because you are using electricity for add on torque/hp and not ruining the "kosherness" of an NA engine with forced induction.

Forced induction is cool and has its place, but there is something special about a very powerful NA motor.

And yes emanon, these cars should in theory not need the batteries and extra weight -- but that's speaking to a more philosophical change to these hypercars than just powertrain discussion. The Carrera GT and F50 IMO are more in line with what a supercar should be.

If 900 hp is the goal from a Ferrari or Porsche hypercar, then big displacement, high output per liter and electric motor is something I prefer over a medium displacement turbo car.

Bugatti is part of the VAG group, they will never need to put batteries in their car in order to meet the emission regs, that's what the VW Polo is for also I remember seeing/reading somewhere that the W16 was tested up to 3000 HP so I think they are good if more power is required.

Bugatti is part of the VAG group, they will never need to put batteries in their car in order to meet the emission regs, that's what the VW Polo is for also I remember seeing/reading somewhere that the W16 was tested up to 3000 HP so I think they are good if more power is required.

Im sure it can handle that much power, but Im betting not on 93 Octane. Unless they do something really funky.

The whole 3000hp thing is based off what the engine would theoretically produce if there was no such thing as loss of energy via heat/friction. All ICEs lose lots of power to these forces, I'm not sure what the "industry standard" percent loss is, but the Veyron engine isn't a special case. That engine would never make 3000hp at the crank without A LOT of retooling/designing. I doubt the stock block could handle that type of power either.

The whole 3000hp thing is based off what the engine would theoretically produce if there was no such thing as loss of energy via heat/friction. All ICEs lose lots of power to these forces, I'm not sure what the "industry standard" percent loss is, but the Veyron engine isn't a special case. That engine would never make 3000hp at the crank without A LOT of retooling/designing. I doubt the stock block could handle that type of power either.

You are correct, I've done a bit of reading on that and the loss of a ICE due to heat and friction can be as high as 70 to 80% :shock:

As VBUG said 1500 HP can be achieved quite easily.

As VBUG said 1500 HP can be achieved quite easily.

Is that even hard? They do 1200 now.

Those regulations are still far enough away that Bugatti wont need to do that, and there will eventually be exceptions to those regulations for small car companies with low production numbers. Its my opinion (I know its not the popular opinion) that the use of batteries in these new hypercars are gimmicky at best.

I agree its a gimmicky marketing thing now.

i never pulled the trigger on a Bug, was close a couple times and just never did. They are great cars for sure.

I dont see the price coming down when a new model comes out, if they do drop it will be 10% for a couple months at the most & thats unlikely -the market is too narrow.