Gooding will auction McLaren F1 chassis 031 in Monterey...

Peloton25

2croqhc.jpg

Highly Original, Three-Owner F1

Originally Finished in Striking Marlboro White - the Sole Such Example

Complete with Manual, Tools, and Fitted Luggage

Just over 1,617 KM (1,004 Miles) from New

2008 Extensive Service by McLaren

Estimate: $12,000,000 - $14,000,000 :eek:

Black wheels are an addition from the current owner - could easily be changed back. This one should draw some attention in a unique color, and with incredibly low mileage. Full catalog description to follow at the link below:

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1995-mclaren-f1-2/

>8^)

ER

That poor car. Hardly knows what roads look like. Three owners over 20 years and only 4 ticks over a thousand miles. For shame. For me thats to work and back twice and then parking it for the year.

The first owner who acquired the car in 1995 and kept it until 2010 is really responsible for nearly all the mileage. The second owner who is a major McLaren collector acquired it solely for that purpose and had another F1 to drive instead. The same is true of the car's third owner who has consigned it to Gooding. Perhaps it will find a new owner who will choose to exercise it more frequently but don't feel bad for the car - it has lived a pretty well pampered life so far. That said, I do prefer the cars that are used personally as it gives us mere mortals a much better chance to also enjoy them, if only briefly.

>8^)

ER

The first owner who acquired the car in 1995 and kept it until 2010 is really responsible for nearly all the mileage. The second owner who is a major McLaren collector acquired it solely for that purpose and had another F1 to drive instead. The same is true of the car's third owner who has consigned it to Gooding. Perhaps it will find a new owner who will choose to exercise it more frequently but don't feel bad for the car - it has lived a pretty well pampered life so far. That said, I do prefer the cars that are used personally as it gives us mere mortals a much better chance to also enjoy them, if only briefly.

>8^)

ER

Peloton25: are you able to disclose which country/countries this chassis was in ? I'm guessing the original owner was Japanese because they like their exotics in white.

Yes, the auction description names the first owner as Shin Okamoto, a rather well known collector in Japan. He kept the car from 1995 until late 2010. The second owner of the car was in Chicago and the third owner has kept the car in the UK.

The fact that it spent those two years in Chicago will likely be important in the auction as it means the car requires little more than a transfer of the required 'Show or Display' exemption paperwork in order for the new owner to bring it home should they also be an American.

>8^)

ER

Pelton, this is a bit off subject but do you have any info on chassis #48 that was repainted at a sub par shop and the owner was upset when photos were posted online. How did the car turn out and where did it end up?

Have any more cars left Brunei since chassis #14?

Also is Elon Musk still an F1 owner?

Thanks.

That poor car. Hardly knows what roads look like. Three owners over 20 years and only 4 ticks over a thousand miles. For shame. For me thats to work and back twice and then parking it for the year.

:iamwithstupid:

Just a waste, expensive piece of furniture.

Pelton, this is a bit off subject but do you have any info on chassis #48 that was repainted at a sub par shop and the owner was upset when photos were posted online. How did the car turn out and where did it end up?

Thanks.

Who in gods name would have an F1 painted by anyone OTHER then McLaren? These are 8 figure cars for christs sake!

They will never be the same money. :)

The f1 is special to me, I just remember not being fussed by cars, I knew the odd road car and I followed f1 racing. Then the f1 was announced and I just remember being in awe of the stats. It was not overly flashy, did not scream and shout, no super wild creases and wings, simply clean design with staggering performance.

That car with a white p1 in the garage is my kind of utopia.

They will never be the same money. :)

The f1 is special to me, I just remember not being fussed by cars, I knew the odd road car and I followed f1 racing. Then the f1 was announced and I just remember being in awe of the stats. It was not overly flashy, did not scream and shout, no super wild creases and wings, simply clean design with staggering performance.

That car with a white p1 in the garage is my kind of utopia.

yeah a F1 & P1 in white on a lift would be a epic sight!!

Well for starters, we should clear up that chassis number so as not to leave any lingering question about a different F1. Chassis 048 still wears its original Brilliant Blue Metallic paint and is with its second owner in Switzerland. Here's a photo:

Kidston_McLaren_048_10.jpg

The car you are thinking of was chassis 042, originally silver and the cover car for a couple of Road&Track magazines which most will remember. It was chosen to be repainted by its first owner in Ferrari's traditional Rosso Corsa paint back in 2005. At the same time the interior was changed from the original grey leather to a combination of red and black. All of this work was done at shops local to the owner in Midland, TX. Some photos were shared of the car disassembled at the paint shop in TX and it appeared to be in a bit of disarray - certainly not the conditions we are used to seeing cars like these in. Negative comments were made by a few in the forum where they were shared and the owner's friend who had supplied the images decided to cease participating because of that. I have the photos but I would be reluctant to share them again.

The same F1 had earlier experienced an issue with the transmission - a shaft had broken due to a burnout that I was told the owner's son had done. They apparently didn't like the $75,000 estimate of repair from McLaren and tried to have the shaft made locally. The car sat in pieces for many months before they finally had the work done through McLaren afterall. Just gives an example of their mindset I guess in choosing the local vendors.

Strangely in the year after the paint work was done the car was sold to someone in Northern California. Not certain of the reasoning behind that decision. I met the car's owner once at the Monterey Historics and he perfers to keep things very private. The car has made appearances at a few events around the Bay Area, but generally remains pretty hidden.

Here's a couple of pics of it on display during the Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival at Infineon Raceway in June 2011. I believe this was the last time that car was spotted in public so I can't be 100% certain of where it might be or how it might look today, but it hasn't surfaced anywhere else so he is likely to still have it.

9gx66p.jpg

10ct40k.jpg

f4r5s6.jpg

I haven't personally seen chassis 042 since the retrim work was done but another F1 owner who did has rated it very high in quality. Also the new owner chose to keep it as he received it for at least 5 years, so that says something.

Not aware of anymore escaping unfortunately.

Thanks.

Musk sold his F1 (chassis 067) when he was having some financial challenges around 2007. The new owner is from Minnesota but used to keep the car in California and Oregon. His was the car that caught fire in Santa Rosa, CA in June 2009 - the story was pretty well covered online. Thankfully the factory were able to fully repair it and had it back on the road the following September. The current owner has attended both of the F1 Tours in 2012 and 2014 so he's certainly not shy to drive it despite having the prior incident.

>8^)

ER

The F1 is without a doubt my favorite car ever built. With that said, it'd be hard to take that one car over the following combination of cars:

Ferrari F40

Ferrari F50

Bugatti Veyron

Porsche 918

P1

ThethetheFerrari

Pagani Huayra

$2.5 mil house with a half mil garage

Puts into perspective to me just how special the F1 is!

• 4 weeks later...