LOC Exhaust - Repeated O2 Sensor Failure

goahead

I have a 2005 gallardo that I put a Lamborghini Of Orange County Exhaust on and ever since then I have had to replace the same O2 sensor 7 times in 4 years! It is always the same exact sensor - Bank 1, Sensor 2

My local lamborghini dealership just laughs at me every time I bring it in because I have become a regular due to this HORRIBLE exhaust system designed by Lamborghini Of Orange county. I have had them inspect everything to see if there was any other possible issue causing it and they said it was extremely obvious that the bad design of the exhaust causes constant moisture and carbon buildup.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTION OR SOLUTION TO THIS OTHER THAN REPLACING THE OVER-PRICED LOC EXHAUST SYSTEM? I read somewhere that this is COMMON with LOC exhaust and some people put "spacers" between the sensor to help the situation but I cannot find any more information or advice on this.

I greatly appreciate any help/advice/suggestions that you might have as I have now spent nearly $5,000 on O2 sensor's because of installing the LOC exhaust!

I have a 2005 gallardo that I put a Lamborghini Of Orange County Exhaust on and ever since then I have had to replace the same O2 sensor 7 times in 4 years! It is always the same exact sensor - Bank 1, Sensor 2

My local lamborghini dealership just laughs at me every time I bring it in because I have become a regular due to this HORRIBLE exhaust system designed by Lamborghini Of Orange county. I have had them inspect everything to see if there was any other possible issue causing it and they said it was extremely obvious that the bad design of the exhaust causes constant moisture and carbon buildup.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTION OR SOLUTION TO THIS OTHER THAN REPLACING THE OVER-PRICED LOC EXHAUST SYSTEM? I read somewhere that this is COMMON with LOC exhaust and some people put "spacers" between the sensor to help the situation but I cannot find any more information or advice on this.

I greatly appreciate any help/advice/suggestions that you might have as I have now spent nearly $5,000 on O2 sensor's because of installing the LOC exhaust!

Sorry to hear about your 02 sensor issue. I've got 7,000 miles on my LOC exhaust with zero issues.

If you got the exhaust 4 years ago it is not a real LOC exhaust unless you bought it used. You got your self a knock off LOC. There where no real LOC exhaust made after 2009 but some starting making knock off LOC exhaust.

Where did you get it from? You could only get them thru LOC there where no dealers for LOC exhausts !

If you got the exhaust 4 years ago it is not a real LOC exhaust unless you bought it used. You got your self a knock off LOC. There where no real LOC exhaust made after 2009 but some starting making knock off LOC exhaust.

Where did you get it from? You could only get them thru LOC there where no dealers for LOC exhausts !

Sorry to hear of your issues. A cat back exhaust dose not effect pre or post o2 sensors.

And 7 sensors ran you 5000????

As you say. The Audi version of the product goes for about $70. If OP is talking about Lamda sensors it still does not reach $5000. Somebody is ripping him off.

Something does not jive.

I bought it spring of 2009 directly from orange county lambo. it is not a knock-off.

As you say. The Audi version of the product goes for about $70. If OP is talking about Lamda sensors it still does not reach $5000. Somebody is ripping him off.

Something does not jive.

my local lamborghini dealership charges $600 to replace my Lamda O2 sensor($350 for the oem sensor and couple hours of labor).

If I can do this myself please tell me ASAP so I can stop them from doing it. They ordered the part and it takes a few days which means the sensors should be here tomorrow... Also, this issue I experience with LOC is NOT unique. I have read on this forum and others about so many others having the same issue on 2004-2005 models with LOC so please do not criticize my quest for a solution.

Do you have links to the other threads? That might be helpful since noone else so far seems to know of this common problem. CEL lights are a common problem but damaging O2 sensors, I do not recall reading about.

Good luck.

I bought it spring of 2009 directly from orange county lambo. it is not a knock-off.

my local lamborghini dealership charges $600 to replace my Lamda O2 sensor($350 for the oem sensor and couple hours of labor).

If I can do this myself please tell me ASAP so I can stop them from doing it. They ordered the part and it takes a few days which means the sensors should be here tomorrow... Also, this issue I experience with LOC is NOT unique. I have read on this forum and others about so many others having the same issue on 2004-2005 models with LOC so please do not criticize my quest for a solution.

Listen buddy you came to the best place on the web to ask this question and Jeff is probably one of the best people on here to answer your question. Nobody is critizing you but rather trying to make sure they have all of the correct info before they give YOU free advice to say YOU money. This is the first issue anyone has heard about LOC and it is a strange one so please forgive us if we offer up a bit on incredulity to your situation.

As for your posts on the other site...you got a much warmer reception here. AMH parts (Glen) is a vendor here and well respected and I am sure he can get you a better price on the 02 sensor(s) you might need and if you haven't scared Jeff off he might tell you how to do the work yourself. As for having the Fabspeed Cat bypass Fabspeed (David) is also a sponsor here so if you ask nicely you might get some help there too.

I don't want to pile on but chalk me up as another very happy LOC exhaust customer on my (now gone of course) 06 G --- never any issues. Loved the exhaust.

LOC was closed in 10-2008. But this dose not matter. I deal with many after market exhaust and untold numbers of LOC exhaust in numbers that probably no else sees and I don't see a higher fail rate between stock or after market exhaust. That said different climates can effect cars in different ways. Cars there may have issues but cars here do not or the other way around. There are seasonal issues things we see more of at one time of the year.

Still don't see a cat back system causing o2 sensor to fail. Moisture is a byproduct of the cats working but as they get hot it evaporates it.

Its not to hard to replace the post o2 sensor. The hardest part is the plug its hard to get to with the rear Wheel on. With the rear wheel off its not bad.

Remove the plastic grill above the exhaust at the back of engine bay you will then see the post o2 sensors. You can follow the wire back up to where it goes over into the wheel arch area.

With rear wheel off you can unplug the o2 sensor and pull the wire thru.

Then use a 22mm wrench or o2 sensor socket and brake it loose and take it out.

Put new one in The code will need reset most obd2 scanners will work for reset some auto part stores will do it for free.

Make sure engine is cold when you do the job. Hot o2 sensors don't like to come out.

LOC was closed in 10-2008. But this dose not matter. I deal with many after market exhaust and untold numbers of LOC exhaust in numbers that probably no else sees and I don't see a higher fail rate between stock or after market exhaust. That said different climates can effect cars in different ways. Cars there may have issues but cars here do not or the other way around. There are seasonal issues things we see more of at one time of the year.

Still don't see a cat back system causing o2 sensor to fail. Moisture is a byproduct of the cats working but as they get hot it evaporates it.

Its not to hard to replace the post o2 sensor. The hardest part is the plug its hard to get to with the rear Wheel on. With the rear wheel off its not bad.

Remove the plastic grill above the exhaust at the back of engine bay you will then see the post o2 sensors. You can follow the wire back up to where it goes over into the wheel arch area.

With rear wheel off you can unplug the o2 sensor and pull the wire thru.

Then use a 22mm wrench or o2 sensor socket and brake it loose and take it out.

Put new one in The code will need reset most obd2 scanners will work for reset some auto part stores will do it for free.

Make sure engine is cold when you do the job. Hot o2 sensors don't like to come out.

Thank you for that.... You mentioned the cats, but I do not have cats as they are replaced with fabspeed pipes instead. I apologize to anyone if I appeared as "bashing" LOC as that could not be farther from my intention. I am just sad to repeatedly throw money down the drain with seemingly no plausible solution available other than a new exhaust as some suggested.... That being said, I have a few questions about this that I will open a new thread for in order to better direct my intention for a solution and I hope for anyone's help(especially you):

Thank you for that.... You mentioned the cats, but I do not have cats as they are replaced with fabspeed pipes instead. I apologize to anyone if I appeared as "bashing" LOC as that could not be farther from my intention. I am just sad to repeatedly throw money down the drain with seemingly no plausible solution available other than a new exhaust as some suggested.... That being said, I have a few questions about this that I will open a new thread for in order to better direct my intention for a solution and I hope for anyone's help(especially you):

I don't think your O2's are failing, they're just throwing codes due to no Cats combined with the exhaust and the dealer is taking advantage but I may be wrong without knowing the code. Doesn't mean they're failing.

I don't think your O2's are failing, they're just throwing codes due to no Cats combined with the exhaust and the dealer is taking advantage but I may be wrong without knowing the code. Doesn't mean they're failing.

That's exactly one of my questions/concerns.... BUT if replacing the O2 sensors FIXES the problem, then doesn't that mean it is an actual failing of the sensors and not just improper sensor readings that cause the CEL light?

If you are getting a catalyst efficiency code, then they should not be replacing the o2 sensor. If you are getting a circuit fault or heater code etc, then it's a failed sensor. My advice is that if it's an efficiency code, I would a) install an oxygen sensor bung extension. This will cause the PCM to see the converter as being more efficient. Or B) have a tune written for the car that eliminates the down stream sensors. They have no impact on drivability. Only there to confirm proper converter operation. Feel free to pm me if I can help as I do not often remember to check threads.

Sorry for any bad grammar. The iPad auto corrects too much.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
What code is it throwing? Some exhausts throw codes when there is no failure matter of pressure but usually seen on newer models.

X2, if you can post the codes it's throwing we can get you all sorted out. If it's throwing 420/430 codes it's almost certainly from the lack of cats. You could try a set of o2 extenders on the secondary (post-cat) sensors. The 04-05 cars are hit or miss in my experience as far as CEL's with no cats. I would buy a cheap code reader (can be had for 40 or 50 bucks) so you can diagnose it yourself and delete the codes as needed. If your dealer has replaced the sensors that many times I am almost positive they have a readout of the codes it was throwing beforehand... which dealer is it that you are going to?