Driving The Pacific Coast Highway

szabo_martin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all roadster owners...how do you do a multi day drive with a partner? If the top is off the trunk is full, and driving the PCH with the top on seems like a waste. I was thinking stay at the Beverly Willshire a couple nights then ask them to keep our luggage for two days while we go up the coast and just try and take a small evening bag? Then come vback and spend another couple nights in Beverly Hills....not sure they'll do it.... Last year rented a 991 Porsche and it swallowed a full size suitcase..but the Murci is far less spacious

Talk to one of your young relatives or a friend who's up for a free holiday and a bit of adventure get them a small rental car and tell them to follow, if they are into video and photography even better, problem solved, you welcome :icon_mrgreen:

To all roadster owners...how do you do a multi day drive with a partner? If the top is off the trunk is full, and driving the PCH with the top on seems like a waste. I was thinking stay at the Beverly Willshire a couple nights then ask them to keep our luggage for two days while we go up the coast and just try and take a small evening bag? Then come vback and spend another couple nights in Beverly Hills....not sure they'll do it.... Last year rented a 991 Porsche and it swallowed a full size suitcase..but the Murci is far less spacious

I don't see why they wouldn't store your luggage. The concierge should do that no problem.

We did the drive this year from Kanan Road all the way to San Fran. Stayed in Monterey that night and then went back for a little more picture taking the next day. I got caught in the dark on 1 going through Big Sur. Fine for me, not for my wife. Also missed a lot of views. We went back to catch most of the stuff we missed. I would like to do that whole trip in the bright daylight though. We stopped on the way and got some of these shots....

Which L car did you take? Trying to figure out if a trip for two in a Super G to San Fran from L.A. is plausible. We would travel very light, but most ladies prefer to stock up.

Thanks.

Which L car did you take? Trying to figure out if a trip for two in a Super G to San Fran from L.A. is plausible. We would travel very light, but most ladies prefer to stock up.

Thanks.

This can be done in a superG. My friend and I went up to Monterey last year in his performante for Car Week Thursday-Sunday. We both had duffels for clothes and things and put our suits behind the seats. Should be doable if you pack light and she packs normal.

Yeah the G was a limo compared to the Murci roadster in terms of luggage space..........with the GF it's the damn shoes!!!

Store the top in the front, leave the baggage with the bellman at the hotel for your return, pack a small backpack for each of you. It will fit, I have done it before. You are going to love the drive.

Store the top in the front, leave the baggage with the bellman at the hotel for your return, pack a small backpack for each of you. It will fit, I have done it before. You are going to love the drive.

We have shipped stuff prior to leaving and just packed the essentials in the car. Small bag works under passenger knees too.

Pack bare essentials only and take them along. For everything else, tell the current concierge to ship them for you to your next hotel; and inform the concierge there to expect your luggage to arrive via delivery.

And you timing is perfect: just when home starts to enter the deep freeze.

-23 degrees celsius today.... I'm looking at Rouleur's pics with envy

I have been trying to get my wife to move there for years. Her brother just picked up everything and moved with his wife to Seattle. I am very envious. I love the West coast.

Szabo didn't you see the 60 minutes special when Daniele Audetto said you need a Rolls Royce for the baggages (to arrive a day later) and just a beautiful woman?

• 2 weeks later...

So planning to stay in Beverly Hills for two nights then drive up to Half Moon Bay... would you guys stop somewhere half way or do it in one pull? Would you trust your Murcielago for the drive? Do you know the number of a good tow company just in case? Not trying to be paranoid..... just want to be prepared as it would suck sitting on the side of the highway with out of country plates in a Murcielago

So planning to stay in Beverly Hills for two nights then drive up to Half Moon Bay... would you guys stop somewhere half way or do it in one pull? Would you trust your Murcielago for the drive? Do you know the number of a good tow company just in case? Not trying to be paranoid..... just want to be prepared as it would suck sitting on the side of the highway with out of country plates in a Murcielago

Get AAA for tow insurance. I think the car will make it fine mechanically. The only risk is a tire problem.

Yeah true... I'll buy a new can of inflator...just had a new set of P Zeros installed but not having a spare makes it hairy

Get AAA with extended towing. I got a flat 70 miles south of Monterey in my Gallardo. It was a bit of a nightmare since the sidewall was cut and the inflator wouldn't work. Zero cell service. Super lucky there was a gas station with a landline right where I got the flat. Thankfully I had the extended range package, but I still had to bribe the tow truck driver since he was coming from the south and did not want to go all the way to Monterey and back. Also it was surprising difficult to get a replacement tire when I finally got to Monterey.

PCH in August 2013 with the Ohio/PA crew on our way to Half Moon Bay. I rode with DrMac in his then-brand-new Aventador Roadster, the first one in the country.

post-10945-1416945154_thumb.png

post-10945-1416945170_thumb.png

We stayed at the Ritz Half Moon Bay, which I highly recommend to anyone doing a PCH cruise.

post-10945-1416945336_thumb.jpg

Faaak thats what scares me..holiday season I doubt theres a ton of Murci tires on the shelf....

It had rained that morning heavily so PCH was covered in rocks and stones. I think you'll be fine since we are experiencing a record drought. It's a great drive, you'll have a blast.

Faaak thats what scares me..holiday season I doubt theres a ton of Murci tires on the shelf....

I wouldnt worry about that, plenty of dealerships around and you can always overnight something from tire rack.

You should be fine, enjoy the drive.

I usually only drive through Bis Sur, Monterey, then take 101 back home. I've never done the 1 going North from Santa Cruz. I think I might have to take a spin over the holiday. I have some awesome pics of when I did the drive this past summer, I will try to get them posted, time permitting.