Just Bought 2013 Mp4 Spider

g-force

My coupe was STOLEN 3 months ago. Insurance if FINALLY paying me

so Today I bought from Miller Motorcars a Volcano red Spider 2300 miles

getting extended warranty window sticker was 328,675. nicely equipped.

Great people to do business with. DEALT with Peter Chiappone.Paid 205k

windowmp42.jpg

Love the color, enjoy it in the best of health.

Your other car was stolen? Very sorry to hear that!

I thought it was very difficult if not impossible to steal cars with current technology, ignition cut off, engine immobilizers, tracking devices, etc. I was feeling quite confident but now I am a bit concerned, how did they manage to steal it?

I thought it was very difficult if not impossible to steal cars with current technology, ignition cut off, engine immobilizers, tracking devices, etc. I was feeling quite confident but now I am a bit concerned, how did they manage to steal it?

Not sure how? Video shows thief holding something in his hand and opening door (he knew how to do that)

and driving away! Also there are NO tracking devices from McLaren.

congrats, badass car and great Christmas gift!

I love hearing the turbos behind your ear with the top down!

I don't think I ever had my top up unless it was in my garage lol

congrats, badass car and great Christmas gift!

I love hearing the turbos behind your ear with the top down!

I don't think I ever had my top up unless it was in my garage lol

Advantage of living in florida eh?

That sucks man. You put a lot of work into that car.

At least your insurance stepped up. Who is your coverage through?

It's actually really easy if you are good with a computer. Seriously you just need to be with a laptop within line of sight and you can do it, if you are that motivated.

Enjoy the new car and best of luck with it!

That sucks man. You put a lot of work into that car.

At least your insurance stepped up. Who is your coverage through?

USAA

but they really worked hard trying to find a way NOT to pay

At one point they asked for personal and business account statements for 4 months I was

pissed and said they had no right they immediately said we are not covering your claim

because you are not co operating with

investigation I gave them 15 pages within 20 minutes and went on from there.

Probably their biggest auto loss?

My coupe was STOLEN 3 months ago. Insurance if FINALLY paying me

so Today I bought from Miller Motorcars a Volcano red Spider 2300 miles

getting extended warranty window sticker was 328,675. nicely equipped.

Great people to do business with. DEALT with Peter Chiappone.Paid 205k

here is the car

http://www.millermotorcars.com/2013-mclare...ke=MCLAREN&

It's actually really easy if you are good with a computer. Seriously you just need to be with a laptop within line of sight and you can do it, if you are that motivated.

Are you serious? That's crazy!

Thanks man, now I am terrified of computer geeks! :icon_mrgreen:

Any reference on this? From the research I've done before the systems are all pretty secure with the exception of some older cars from when the first electronic keys came out. I'd think it would be way more likely someone had a duplicate key.

What would someone do with a stolen 12C?

Put it in a shipping container and get it the hell out of the US.

Didn't you learn anything from gone in 60 seconds? :icon_mrgreen:

Joy ride, sell spare parts off it, I HATE scumbags who steal, lowest form of scum!

The people who would take a car like that for a joyride wouldn't have the technology to take it, chances are the car would also be found relatively quickly. If a car was stolen to steal aftermarket parts it would be way better to steal a common car. The only thing I can think off would that the car was targeted/pre-planned and thrown in a shipping container to another country, although I would think customs would catch it.

Wayne, did you check with McLaren if they ever issued an extra key for your car?

Any reference on this? From the research I've done before the systems are all pretty secure with the exception of some older cars from when the first electronic keys came out. I'd think it would be way more likely someone had a duplicate key.

The whole car security network is really just security by obscurity.

No reference on hand, just what I watched a friend do (MIT compsci expert, hacked into his own X5M lol)

IIRC the steps were

-Communicate on the same frequency as the wireless key, then ran a custom program he wrote to pop open the door locks.

-Once inside he just connected to the OBD port on his computer. By law the information on the OBD network has to be open, including the specified information required for a key. Enough computing power and know-how and you can break anything.

Just a quick refresher on OBD networks

OBD interfaces are usually 115kbps or slower, up to 2mbps can be obtained with the correct gear. Almost every interface to the serial port is running off an ELM327 chipset, which you can buy off the shelf.

Due to legal issues OBD has to have a wireless link due to TPMS legislature, and it is not an 802.11 link, but a signal at about 315Mhz. You can buy an off the shelf sensor for a few hundred that can read and write to the in car network.

IIRC someone threw a trojan into a cars OBD network via the CD player a few years ago.

I really like that colour on your 12c. I think that and white work the best.

I had a big claim (which they could have been dicks about) about 18 months ago with GEICO. No issues whatsoever. Actually a week after we switched to them, my wife's sister totaled one of our SUV's and they paid out what I thought was above market value for it.

I really like that colour on your 12c. I think that and white work the best.

I had a big claim (which they could have been dicks about) about 18 months ago with GEICO. No issues whatsoever. Actually a week after we switched to them, my wife's sister totaled one of our SUV's and they paid out what I thought was above market value for it.

This week will try to get this covered By USAA who knows that may not want another McLaren?

I have been with them 47 years,,,on car #79 right now.

Just out of curiosity, where was the car stolen from? In your garage or your driveway or were you out somewhere?

I own a store in a mall. Saturdays for last 18 years I drive my current exotic to work.

on this particular Saturday I parked it at 830 video shows it being stolen at 910

I didn't discover theft till 1 PM when I was closing.

Congrats on the new car, looks good.

Like everyone else, I'm a bit shocked they would steal this car. I really wonder what happened to it.