Jalpas and Urracos on the rise?

Kerplop

I'm starting to see a trend that not just the Countach is on the rise, but the other cars like the Urraco and Jalpa as well. Now, given this car is shown dusty as hell, and they couldn't take the time to dust it off and take some photos, I'm not sure if someone would spend that much on an ebay auction. BUT, I feel like with the prices of the Countach going up, the other vintage Lambos seem to be following suit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Other-...&rmvSB=true

Anyone? Bueller?

I would like to think its real, as a Jalpa owner

As a future coumatch owner I hope it's false

At some point values will be high on these cars, it's a matter of when.

I'm starting to see a trend that not just the Countach is on the rise, but the other cars like the Urraco and Jalpa as well. Now, given this car is shown dusty as hell, and they couldn't take the time to dust it off and take some photos, I'm not sure if someone would spend that much on an ebay auction. BUT, I feel like with the prices of the Countach going up, the other vintage Lambos seem to be following suit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Other-...&rmvSB=true

Anyone? Bueller?

I was just talking about this in the Insurance post in the General section.

The Countach is white hot on appreciation. Most did not expect these prices, but all of us have seen it as a special car regardless of values. It makes total sense that a Jalpa would be on the rise as well. Urracos were already moving up. There is no cheap vintage Lamborghini, so if you own one, sit back and smile.

yes, they are on the rise to

i think a nice jalpa in Europe is 60.000 euro now

it was 35.000-40.000 euro just 1 year ago

simple formula: rising demand + decreasing supply= rising prices

There's a little bit more to this simple formula: perceived popularity inflicted by the media = rising demand....

There must have been a tv show/movie/auction show that had something to do with Countach's or Jalpas. Then when the Joneses next door see something become "popular", they want to jump on the bandwagon too so they can feel like they are accepted in society.

I can name about twenty examples, but a good one is pets: ten years ago there were movies with people owning pit bull dogs, after that, everyone and their mothers had to own a pitbull. Then after they lost their popularity, noone wanted one anymore and they get discarded....

The chance of that jalpa selling for $125k is next to nothing.... There are a few other Jalpas I've been following, and some of them have been for sale for years at prices nowhere near $125k...

There's a little bit more to this simple formula: perceived popularity inflicted by the media = rising demand....

Could be Tom…a friend and I bought new Jalpas in late 1983-early 1984…since we got them from an “operator” (in Scarsdale, NY) ducking and weaving from (DOT/EPA) we paid less than $ 30K…we both decided they were overweight pigs (300-400 lbs. heavier than a P-300)…with really weak performance….so we sold them (at a good profit)… Yet, Joe “Nasty” and Chrysler (Lee IoCacca) were able to get $ 65K out the door for them in 1986-1988…so everything is relative.

Why not look at what a 1986 US dollar is worth today… :eusa_think:

Paul

My humble opinion is that collector cars are in a balloon pattern.

If you could buy something today for $60,000 and sell it in 6 months to a year for $120,000, would you do it? Of course we all would. This feels just like all the other bubbles that have come and gone over the years. Fast easy money that seems to just get better and better. I think investors and speculators are inflating prices. I just do not see this continuing. As an owner, I hope it keeps on rolling. Practically, I think the crash will come when sales slow. Once people see prices start to dive, I expect a sell off. There are enough car lovers out there to keep things from crashing too hard, but the current trend does not make sense to me.

For Lamborghini, I would think a return to prices from a couple years ago would be the result of a crash. I do not think you will ever see a Countach below 100K again, but I do not think an Anniversary Countach should sell for 350K to 450K.

I have talked to many people who do not share my view. It would be great to see the value of my Jalpa go up, but it would also be nice to be able to afford a Countach.

With that being said, what would a stable value for the v8s be? I'd like to think that this is a potential 6 figure car in the next few years but can definitely agree that we are witnessing a bubble

With that being said, what would a stable value for the v8s be? I'd like to think that this is a potential 6 figure car in the next few years but can definitely agree that we are witnessing a bubble

There is no way to be certain and this is PURELY my own speculation. I would think if there was a car market crash, and things settled back to "normal", around $45,000 average price is what I would expect for the Jalpa. The average price for a decent example held pretty steady at around $30,000 to $35,000 for close to 15 years. In that time there was maybe a 10% to 15% increase. The Jalpa just does not have the image to warrant a 6 figure price tag yet. Maybe someday, but I would think it would take at least another decade to get there. (Then again, the current Ferrari Dino prices make absolutely no sense to me.)

I could go on about my theories and ones I have read, but they are just my opinions and theories. I have talked to plenty of people who are convinced this upward trend is going to continue and it makes perfect sense to them that prices are going to continue to skyrocket.

I get a Sports Car Market magazine every now and then. The magazine is full of theories and speculation on collector car prices. That is probably the best place to get educated theories and opinions.

I get a Sports Car Market magazine every now and then. The magazine is full of theories and speculation on collector car prices. That is probably the best place to get educated theories and opinions.

Well that K. Martin is just like a pink sheets bunko artist...except that NOBODY legitimate gives walk-arounds or how-tos in penny stock "evaluation"...

For those of you at least 50 years old, you may recall that the very same tail-end Jalpas that Lee Io-cacca managed to unload in 1987-1989 as new for $ 65K plus gas guzzler and other taxes...often sold for $ 50K+ in the early 1990s. Then the market collapsed and prices fell to $ 20-25K

Mobsters like Scotti in Montreal routinely asked $ 60K for Jalpas and $ 100K + for Countaches when everyone else was at a much lower # :eusa_think: ...so everything is relative !

Paul

i agree.

i do have a story on a parallel.

the original mazda cosmo from 67' to 72'? was for decades 30-40k$ car. always relatively easy to find if you knew where to look. last year the cleanest example on the planet sold for 250k. and now.. even the rattiest of the ratty are close to 100k and they are impossible to find.

we brought in 3 at the 35-45k range and sold them relatively quickly before that auction. i dont see that car coming back down to 30k any time soon.

another good example is the toyota 2000gt. it was alawys a 300k$ car. one freak occurance 3 years ago sold for ~1.2 mil. second sold a few months later for 900k and so on. now they have been hovering around that price and again, i can not see their value crashing back to 300k.

on the flip side, back in the mid 2000s dodge muscle cars were pulling insane numbers. 40k$ car selling for 200k+. nobody thought that they would drop but they are basically all back to where they should be. but then again, those are mass production american muscle cars that number in the 10s of thousands.

of course nobody can predict the future but its fun to watch and speculate.

If you had the money and wanted a Countach right now, it would be pretty nerve racking. Will the price keep climbing or come crashing down?

Going up? Like crazy. From what I read:

1975 Lamborghini Urraco P111 by Bertone

Chassis no. 15878

Estimate $100,000 - $120,000

Sold for $115,000

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1071850

I think the rapid price increase has produced urgency among buyers....anyone on the fence will now want to buy in soon as not to miss the boat and pay 2x-3x the cost for the same car.

Things that make you say hmmmmmm:

Urraco cost more than a Diablo