Just curious...

VCR

I don't recall reading it here or anywhere; and I doubt it matters much if at all but does anyone know how much weight, on average, is added to a Lamborghini when it is fully wrapped?

From protection wraps like XPEL, 3M, Suntech etc... to windshield wrap like Clearplex to all kinds of vinyl wrap for aesthetics purposes etc... Does anyone have any idea on how much those warps weigh? We have seen various SV's and Superleggera's and how their diets are achieved. How much weight are we putting back on the car by having it wrapped?

I don't recall reading it here or anywhere; and I doubt it matters much if at all but does anyone know how much weight, on average, is added to a Lamborghini when it is fully wrapped?

From protection wraps like XPEL, 3M, Suntech etc... to windshield wrap like Clearplex to all kinds of vinyl wrap for aesthetics purposes etc... Does anyone have any idea on how much those warps weigh? We have seen various SV's and Superleggera's and how their diets are achieved. How much weight are we putting back on the car by having it wrapped?

3M reports their series 1080 vinyl wrap weighs in at 150 grams per square meter.

This is about 5.3 oz. per 10.764 square feet

A Gallardo is approximately 14 feet in length by 6.25 feet wide by about 3.2 feet tall ( factoring out tires)

A quick an dirty estimate on the surface area of a Gallardo would be:

14 length x 3.2 average height x 2 sides = side sf

14 length x 6..25 birds eye view = top sf

6.25width x 2.5 height x 2 = front and rear surface area

If you factor out the windows but add in for the overlap of door jambs etc. I would guess you are at about 160-200sf of surface area (lets use 180sf)

So if you say about 180 square feet divided by 10.764 is 17 square meters of material.

17 sm x 5.3 oz = 90.1 oz

90.1 oz divided by 16 = 5.5 pounds

So a quick and dirty estimate on the weight added in wrapping a Gallardo would be 5-6 pounds.

( please note, I'm not a math expert and these figures are quick and dirty estimates)

Thank you 12097. Sounds like a fair estimate.

Anyone else heard of or knew anything else about the weight of a wrap?

Unless you're racing - does it matter?

It is distributed across a large area of the car and not concentrated in one place- especially if the entire car is wrapped. Even if only the front half is wrapped - that kind of weight won't make a bit of difference.

Even if you put 5-10 pounds in one spot on the car it wouldn't make a difference unless you are corner balancing for racing. For street driving the impact would be negligible.

^No it does not matter --- just as I mentioned at the start of the first post. :) But like the thread title says --- just curious.

No plans on making the lightest Lambo around and I am aware of the joke: "if you want to make the lightest street car possible, throw out the ashtray, the cigar lighter and the wiring and just carry a match. :icon_mrgreen:

3M reports their series 1080 vinyl wrap weighs in at 150 grams per square meter.

A Gallardo is approximately 14 feet in length by 6.25 feet wide by about 3.2 feet tall ( factoring out tires)

If you factor out the windows but add in for the overlap of door jambs etc. I would guess you are at about 160-200sf of surface area (lets use 180sf)

So if you say about 180 square feet divided by 10.764 is 17 square meters of material.

17 sm x 5.3 oz = 90.1 oz

So a quick and dirty estimate on the weight added in wrapping a Gallardo would be 5-6 pounds.

( please note, I'm not a math expert and these figures are quick and dirty estimates)

Damn! Good job,lol

I really feel like my math skills are seriously inadequate after reading this post :eusa_wall:

17 sm x 5.3 oz = 90.1 oz

17 sm x 5.3 oz = 90.1 oz

Thats weird... I came up with 975 pounds.

Thats weird... I came up with 975 pounds.

HAHA

I always hated math multiple choice questions.

hmm ok i got 47.64 and all the answer choices are A) 592,154 B ) 592,144 or C) 482,454

FUUUUUUU*%