Hate when dogs get sick.

koenig928

Having lost 3 dogs from cancer, I get really paranoid now when they get sick. Few weeks ago, my current dog had a seizure. Took him into the vet, did an exam, took blood and urine samples found nothing seriously wrong. His liver wasn't functioning properly. Too much protein, he was on an all meat and chicken diet. So he went on low protein kibble. Now his energy is very low. He would walk about 2 miles a day, on walks he walks about 1,000 yards, lays down. Not normal. He does eat like its his last meal. He goes to the bathroom normally. Does vomit a bit if he is over fed. So yesterday, we did more urine and blood tests. Tests came back negative, tested a wide spectrum, even my suspected heart worm. The vet has seen this before, doesn't want to say what yet. The other two vets in the office also believe its the same thing. They want to do x-rays before putting him on antibiotics. They say slim chance it could be cancer or a non cancerous tumor, on the spleen. Its common for Rottweiler's to develop non cancerous "fatty" tissue tumors. Guess the good news, they scheduled the x-rays for Monday morning. I'm thinking if it was more serious they'd do the x-rays sooner.

It sure is nerve wracking when despite being almost 7 years old, your puppy gets sick and you don't know what's wrong.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks..... At least my vet office has 3 experienced vets. Still hate hearing they need to rule out cancer before giving antibiotics.

I feel for you. I am going to have to take my 10 month old puppy in for surgery on both knees. It really is a terrible feeling when they are not well.

Its the not knowing anything that's the worst part.

Good luck with the knee surgery. Done it twice with two different dogs. They came out fine.

This one Ty had the knee surgery two or three years ago. Near 100% recovery. Two months ago, he had a non cancerous tumor removed from his left front leg. Hoping second time is as lucky.

I know all to well. I hope your pooch turns around and is back to healthy and happy soon. the waiting is the worst. And considering I like animals more than people, it's harder when it's a dog we love. Keep us updated.

Hope it all turns out ok for him. My 8.5 year old Labrador spent the last 10 weeks in one of those big plastic lampshade collars for a hotspot on her face. Thing looked like raw hamburger. She kept busting it open when we took the collar off. Yesterday was her first full day without it. So far so good. They really are family. Sucks when you know they aren't well.

Thanks all...... The good news he is still eating and drinking. That's half the battle. At least he's also holding down those things today. He'll get active for a few minutes, lay down and rest for an hour. Go outside and do his business. Another good sign. He'll also jump into the truck for a quick ride.

Sorry to hear this, hope your guy is feeling better soon. My little "Princess" is around 8 years old was diagnosed with lymphoma around Christmas and I decided to try to treat it. I feel very lucky that I have got another 5 months with her happy and running around the house, but the process of having a sick dog drives me crazy worrying about her.

Hope the vets can figure it out and you get some good news soon!

Thanks..... Lymphoma is a rough diagnosis. I hope the treatments keep working.

I'm hoping for anything but cancer. My other three all in decent shape, the cancer came on sudden and all but one lasted more then 1 week after diagnosis.

Nope, hasn't mentioned any drugs yet. It was his kidney function that was low, too much protein and having a hard time processing it. Its some sort of infection, its in his kidneys and also inflaming his joints. At least now they are saying its slim for cancer.

Nope, hasn't mentioned any drugs yet. It was his kidney function that was low, too much protein and having a hard time processing it. Its some sort of infection, its in his kidneys and also inflaming his joints. At least now they are saying its slim for cancer.

What about renavast or and NF Purina or KD diet Hills

The vet recommended Nutro Natural Choice Lite. Its a diet food, but much lower in protein. He was fed basically raw chicken with some canned natural dog food mixed in. Now its straight Nutro.

Last test his kidney function was better. Now they are more worried about the inflammation in the joints.

The vet recommended Nutro Natural Choice Lite. Its a diet food, but much lower in protein. He was fed basically raw chicken with some canned natural dog food mixed in. Now its straight Nutro.

Last test his kidney function was better. Now they are more worried about the inflammation in the joints.

Denosyl

Denosyl

Denosyl with MSN

Denosyl

Googled. Thanks.

His liver function is better just reducing the protein, a supplement could bring it back. Second blood test this week is all normal with a little induction of an infection in the kidneys.

He was vaccinated against leptospirosis last year. I do have cattle on my property, so he gets the vaccine yearly. But even with vaccines he could get it. Its possible. Id rather have something treatable over less treatable cancer's at this point.

He was vaccinated against leptospirosis last year. I do have cattle on my property, so he gets the vaccine yearly. But even with vaccines he could get it. Its possible. Id rather have something treatable over less treatable cancer's at this point.

5 way?