Heads and Cam (and Clutch) Project?

JonV8944s

FYI, they want 8,000 for the headers, so I'm sorry that's not an option. They also require your car on site as its an in-house job. Each set is custom made to your car. No jigs, so no mass production. There has to be other options.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go.

Fwiw, I guarantee that will be more HP/$ than the head porting will get you. It's a bit spendy but not out of line for a custom V12 header set.

One thing you have to keep in mind, porting the heads with a choked off exhaust system will likely cost you some low rpm power and may do nothing up top.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, they want 8,000 for the headers, so I'm sorry that's not an option. They also require your car on site as its an in-house job. Each set is custom made to your car. No jigs, so no mass production. There has to be other options.

and I'm based on the other side of the world :eusa_wall:

Honestly, everyone said that headers would net nothing, becuase supposedly the factory ones were so 'good' stock. It was finally disproved when someone got a set of headers. Sorry but go look at the nay-sayers, headers were going to net 'nothing' and real world proved other wise. Unless someone has proven that porting heads on a Murci will be of little gain, I'd rather go with real world validation (one way or the other), vs what people speculate is going to be the case.

Everyone is an expert until someone proves with data what reality is. I'd prefer to prove it one way or another. If its a 4k loss, so be it, but the engine is already coming out for a clutch, so might as well tackle heads and see what happens.

I'll keep you guys posted, the blocking point right now is the lambo tech making room for my car.

Honestly, everyone said that headers would net nothing, becuase supposedly the factory ones were so 'good' stock. It was finally disproved when someone got a set of headers. Sorry but go look at the nay-sayers, headers were going to net 'nothing' and real world proved other wise. Unless someone has proven that porting heads on a Murci will be of little gain, I'd rather go with real world validation (one way or the other), vs what people speculate is going to be the case.

Everyone is an expert until someone proves with data what reality is. I'd prefer to prove it one way or another. If its a 4k loss, so be it, but the engine is already coming out for a clutch, so might as well tackle heads and see what happens.

I'll keep you guys posted, the blocking point right now is the lambo tech making room for my car.

Will you have to have a tune or do you think the ECU will relearn for your head work?

Carry on then. Please post the before and after dyno results, along with any tuning, etc that is done.

Review that header thread, I was one who was expecting significant gains and not at all surprised with the outcome :icon_mrgreen:

Will you have to have a tune or do you think the ECU will relearn for your head work?

Yup, and fortunately ASS is right around the corner. They did the original Tune that I think netted like another 30 rwhp and 30 rwtq or so.

Carry on then. Please post the before and after dyno results, along with any tuning, etc that is done.

Review that header thread, I was one who was expecting significant gains and not at all surprised with the outcome :icon_mrgreen:

Yup, I already have the original 'before' so, I plan to do this very scientifically. I'll know exactly what it gets me (if anything). But I'm pretty hopeful.

I can understand the in house thing but $8k for a set of headers that give you nearly 100hp is a bargain. People drop $10K plus on exhaust that most likely loses power and no one complains lol. I agree 100% that until you try you wont know. But the issue with the headers was that it is the last thing coming from the engine. So since we have already proven that they are so restrictive, working to open up BEFORE this massive restriction would not gain much (IN THEORY). But i would love for your try get a proper before and after dyno and show us.

I can understand the in house thing but $8k for a set of headers that give you nearly 100hp is a bargain. People drop $10K plus on exhaust that most likely loses power and no one complains lol. I agree 100% that until you try you wont know. But the issue with the headers was that it is the last thing coming from the engine. So since we have already proven that they are so restrictive, working to open up BEFORE this massive restriction would not gain much (IN THEORY). But i would love for your try get a proper before and after dyno and show us.

The unfortunate part is that working in this order, if he adds headers later, we'll still have no idea of the head work accomplished anything.

The unfortunate part is that working in this order, if he adds headers later, we'll still have no idea of the head work accomplished anything.

This is why to do it properly multiple dynos have to be done. It is a pain in the ass and that is why no one does it properly. The number of threads I have seen where people get an exhaust or whatever work and promise they are gonna dyno a car and post it and the thread fizzles away pisses me off to no end. With mine, i dyno'd the car 3 times. One stock, one after headers, and one after tune. He would just have to do one extra dyno but it is what it is if he truly wants to know what helped. Not the end of the world. But one thing i can tell you is that the headers are restrictive as shit and have the most sharp odd angles to make it fit in a small package so getting the engine to move air and not touching the headers would be a waste.

Yup, and fortunately ASS is right around the corner. They did the original Tune that I think netted like another 30 rwhp and 30 rwtq or so.

Yup, I already have the original 'before' so, I plan to do this very scientifically. I'll know exactly what it gets me (if anything). But I'm pretty hopeful.

PM sent.

I say do the heads! You might as well while the engine is out and the cost is minimal compared to jumping to the 640.

I really wanted to do the headers but the car needing to be at the shop is a massive limitation to just about everyone that owns these cars lol. My car is at Famous right now getting it's annual service, I should see if they can custom fab some for me. We've got a bunch of Murci owners in SoCal that would probably jump in if it was easier to do!

I say do the heads! You might as well while the engine is out and the cost is minimal compared to jumping to the 640.

I really wanted to do the headers but the car needing to be at the shop is a massive limitation to just about everyone that owns these cars lol. My car is at Famous right now getting it's annual service, I should see if they can custom fab some for me. We've got a bunch of Murci owners in SoCal that would probably jump in if it was easier to do!

If not them, I know a number of shops in SoCal who are more than capable of handling this, SPE being a big one.

why does each set have to be custom? Cant the shop make multiples of the same thing? I am so curious to see the results if Samlambo ever gets a set of the headers for his SV!

why does each set have to be custom? Cant the shop make multiples of the same thing? I am so curious to see the results if Samlambo ever gets a set of the headers for his SV!

They need jigs to make the headers and used the engine as a jig for this one off set. Having the car they could also check clearance as they went.

I'm sure if they could get the first set back they could make jigs but that would be a royal PITA for the owner.

I do seem to remember that these headers were lacking the primary cat also?

They need jigs to make the headers and used the engine as a jig for this one off set. Having the car they could also check clearance as they went.

I'm sure if they could get the first set back they could make jigs but that would be a royal PITA for the owner.

I do seem to remember that these headers were lacking the primary cat also?

Exactly. To have equal length runners for all six on each side it is too compact to make equal runners and still keep primary cats. And to be honest not sure why anyone would want to limit the sound of that amazing engine once you have done everything else to open it up just to further restrict it down the road.

Exactly. To have equal length runners for all six on each side it is too compact to make equal runners and still keep primary cats. And to be honest not sure why anyone would want to limit the sound of that amazing engine once you have done everything else to open it up just to further restrict it down the road.

How do you pass emissions with no cats?

• 2 weeks later...

skipping primary cats, still allows you to run secondary cats (only used in the US), which is EXACTLY how my car is today, so losing primary cats for longer runners would be a non issue. Again, I'd love to have a set, but I cant just pay $8k for them and ship my car to them... just too much.

I'll see what ASS (Please note its auto converting a WELL known GTR tuner to ASS when I put there name here, but they have a really cool computer program that can map out a whole engine bay and tell them where they have room to work, I wonder if they would take on a exhaust project for me. I will ask.

While the engine is out, DWIGGGGGGGS please pm me the steps needed to convert the car to manual!! I have to try it!

skipping primary cats, still allows you to run secondary cats (only used in the US), which is EXACTLY how my car is today, so losing primary cats for longer runners would be a non issue. Again, I'd love to have a set, but I cant just pay $8k for them and ship my car to them... just too much.

I'll see what ASS (Please note its auto converting a WELL known GTR tuner to ASS when I put there name here, but they have a really cool computer program that can map out a whole engine bay and tell them where they have room to work, I wonder if they would take on a exhaust project for me. I will ask.

Jon if you want I can speak to Geoff from full race or Tony from T1 and see if they would be interested in making a set of headers for you. Only problem is Geoff is located in AZ and NJ and Tony is in Texas. Let me know.

Hope all is well.

You're in Chicago, maybe talk to Larry at Sound Performance and see about building a set of headers?

I know nothing about these guys, are they good? I'll contact them if you have experience with them being a trustworthy shop!

Let me know!

Jon

You're in Chicago, maybe talk to Larry at Sound Performance and see about building a set of headers?

These guys at SP and Full Race sell headers for $2-3K for a simple Supra header that has 6 cylinders and a lot simpler in design and they do that knowing they will sell quite a few numbers. If you guys think anyone decent with half brain is going to build a custom one off 12cyl header for cheap I have a bridge for you for sale in NYC lol