Aventador SV up close

VCR

So I had the fortune of seeing the Avenatdor SV up close. It's in the new Rosso Bia sparkle colour. Regrettably I could not drive it but it offered a good glimpse and some solid expectations.

First off, the new sparkling paint is quite interesting. It does have very visible glittering specks mixed into the colour. Would likely look great under the bright sun. For those familiar with the 50th anniversary Giallo Maggio, it has about the same glitter. But with Giallo, the specks are less visible as the paint is basically a bright colour, with the new Bia and Siderious, the paint is darker so the specks are much more visible. Those that prefer glittering paint like those on custom classic hot rods would probably like the paint a lot. Those that do not would likely say Rosso Bia is like Rosso Efesto covered in tree sap. :icon_mrgreen:

Initial walk around: the dry carbon fibre trim (dull/matte finish as oppose to wet CF gloss/shinny finish) is welcoming and compliments the car quite nicely. The front intake and the rear valance are not in CF though; just black polymer. The fixed air intakes on top are nicely done. The wing, in the flesh, is not as controversial as some of the pics suggest; however; at certain angles, it does seem a bit odd and from one particular perspective --- looking up from the underside, it looks a bit like a Countach wing being reversely mounted (the pointy tip facing the rear instead of the front). Not a fan of the wheels at all --- too complicated of a design which seems out of place with the SV moniker but the centre-lock coupling does look very nice. Aside from the front intakes surrounds and the entire area below the tail lights, there isn't too much of a difference between the SV and the "regular" Aventador. Engine bay and trunk looks identical from the rest of the Aventador series. This car does have red-coloured rear in-board springs. And I dislike the four exposed exhaust tips without the huge hexagonal surround. I think the huge one-piece surround on the Aventador and the Murcielago is the signature piece on flagship Lambo's. Taking it away and exposing the crude and bare exhaust tips makes the exhaust look incomplete. But overall, like most modern cars, the SV does look better in the real than from the pics.

Interior: open the door, take the initial step into the cabin and right away, there is a difference (yes, just one small step is all it took and one isn't even inside the car yet). The floor is hard and sounds a bit hollow --- almost like when you walk down the aisle of an airplane cabin. That's because there is no carpet. The "floor mat" that looks like the Mercedes logo are not quite "mats" but panels made from aluminum and polymer. Everything else on the floor is exposed dry CF and hence the "hollow" sound and the hardness/rigidness. Sit down on the seats and it is more "hard"core. The seats have little cushion and padding and while very supportive, they seem a tad on the hard side. They slide back & forth for adjustment and do seem very light; but no backrest angle adjustment. It's the same concept as the Superleggera seats but with less padding still. Anyone 5'10" or below should have no problem; those who are 6'2" or above might feel a bit uncomfortable. These are wider than the SL seats though. Plenty of CF inside in both wet & dry format. They finally made a Lamborghini script in CF but I think that's only available on cars without the radio/NAV as that script is in place where the screen was. All the polished aluminum-finish button surrounds and steering wheel spokes on the regular/50th Aventador's are now substituted by glossy black ones (not good as it's very prone to finger print smudges). The shield-shape centre panel (that houses the ignition button assembly) is in CF-composite (still looks like particle board in black to me) with a SV script. All the buttons and dials are similar. Due to the lack of a centre screen, all the display is now shifted to the large TFT dash display. No glove box, no cubby box on the centre tunnel and no side pockets on the CF door panels. There is a thread about asking where to put things inside a Murcielago; well, this car simply has no storage space whatsoever. Well...there is a bit of an indent at where the centre screen used to be to put something in I suppose. Oddly enough, this car does not have the "carbon skin" option so most of the "soft" surfaces are in Alcantara with a red highlights. Most of the "hard" surfaces, as afore-said, are in various forms of CF.

Judging from the lack of carpet, padding and other soft-surface materials, this car is going to sound loud and hardcore. While not uncomfortable, IMO, it won't score very high in overall comfort either. It will be interesting to see how this interior is going to synergize with the new suspension. But in its parked/static form, the car feel quite hard if not harsh already. Should be interesting on the road and I don't think your exit out of the car would be very graceful at the end of a long driving trip. Whether that is your cup of tea or not, it's absolutely personal and entirely subjective.

Do I like it? Yes. Do I have the urge to trade-in my roadster for the SV (or a SV roadster)? Not at the moment. Perhaps I will say something entirely different once I have driven one but having owned 4 different Gallardo's with 2 being the 2 versions of the Superleggera's; plus having to own a LP670-4 SV, I think I probably have a fairly good grasp on what to expect from this SV.

Rather than posting pics of the car's exterior which you all had seen plenty, I have decided to post some close-up and interior shots that depict the detail of the car. Hope you wll like them (cel phone quality only).

SV1.JPG

SV2.JPG

SV3.JPG

SV4.JPG

SV5.JPG

SV5.1.JPG

SV6.JPG

SV7.JPG

SV8.JPG

SV8.1.JPG

SV9.JPG

SV10.JPG

SV11.JPG

SV12.JPG

SV13.JPG

SV14.JPG

SV15.JPG

SV16.JPG

Mods: I incorrectly posted this in the "off topic" section. Please move to the appropriate section (General or Aventador) as you see fit. Thanks.

As usual, fantastic write up VCR thank you for posting!

I won't take your lunch (dinner) money again because it's my turn to pay so just come clean and tell me what color will yours be? :icon_mrgreen:

I just realized this... What's up with the smaller screen? Why did they do that? Does it still perform the same functions of navigation and cd/iPod display?

If you are referring to the centre screen, that's not a screen at all; just a plastic cover in place of the screen and that is where the "indent" is --- the only "storage" space in the car's cabin.

As the car has no radio/DVD-MP3 player/GPS Nav/centre screen, all those cannot be displayed. For the A/C display (temperature and which air outlets are being used), it had been integrated into the main dash screen. the lower third of the display (see where it reads "service due !") switches to the necessary display modes upon necessity: temperature display (complete with graphic rotary dial and numeric readout exactly like that on the centre screen), warning messages and even a g-force meter in X & Y-axis.

As usual, fantastic write up VCR thank you for posting!

I won't take your lunch (dinner) money again because it's my turn to pay so just come clean and tell me what color will yours be? :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks! Lunch/dinner always sounds good especially when you are buying. :icon_mrgreen: But, seriously, though never say never, I have no plans on getting one anytime soon. I'll likely elaborate when I post my review on my roadster.

Thanks for the articulate and comprehensive critique of the SV. Paragraph 4 captures the reasons I cancelled my standing order as the SV is a bit too hardcore for my driving enjoyment. Not only is there no carpet but, according to dealer sales information, there is no sound insulation. Re weight savings, once the comfort seats, infotainment, front lift. etc. are checked on the order sheets the the weight approximates the weight of my 2014 Aventador with the factory racing exhaust. Furthermore, the performance differences reported as .1 or .2 seconds difference in acceleration from 0 to 62 mph would be imperceptible for me. For the market segment tracking the car, it will be monster.

In all likelihood another Aventador update is on the horizon which, if as expected, will be in my garage.

If you are referring to the centre screen, that's not a screen at all; just a plastic cover in place of the screen and that is where the "indent" is --- the only "storage" space in the car's cabin.

As the car has no radio/DVD-MP3 player/GPS Nav/centre screen, all those cannot be displayed. For the A/C display (temperature and which air outlets are being used), it had been integrated into the main dash screen. the lower third of the display (see where it reads "service due !") switches to the necessary display modes upon necessity: temperature display (complete with graphic rotary dial and numeric readout exactly like that on the centre screen), warning messages and even a g-force meter in X & Y-axis.

I had no idea...

What. A. Let. Down.

I had no idea...

What. A. Let. Down.

Well, the infotainment is available as an option so I suppose it's not difficult to have the centre screen back.

I do concur with SchH III though. Once you add the "necessities" back into the car, the weight-saving equation becomes questionable and it defeats the whole SV concept. I would say this though: the infotainment is a "necessity", at least for North America, because it absolutely affects the resale opportunity of the car. For reasons just mentioned, I went all out on my first Superleggera by deleting the infotainment system. I was lucky on my trade-in value but the dealer had a very tough time reselling the car as every potential buyer complained about the car not having a radio/DVD/MP3 player. That complaint went up exponentially when the GF/wife came along. At one point, the dealer half jokingly half seriously considered throwing in a pair of iPods with the purchase of the car.

Well, the infotainment is available as an option so I suppose it's not difficult to have the centre screen back.

I do concur with SchH III though. Once you add the "necessities" back into the car, the weight-saving equation becomes questionable and it defeats the whole SV concept. I would say this though: the infotainment is a "necessity", at least for North America, because it absolutely affects the resale opportunity of the car. For reasons just mentioned, I went all out on my first Superleggera by deleting the infotainment system. I was lucky on my trade-in value but the dealer had a very tough time reselling the car as every potential buy complained about the car not having a radio/DVD/MP3 player. That complaint went up exponentially when the GF/wife came along. At one point, the dealer half jokingly half seriously considered throwing in a pair of iPods with the purchase of the car.

Ahhh you scared the crap out of me as I thought it wasn't available as an option on the SV. Hahaha damn...

I hear you on the weight savings part though. I do love the exterior of the car and even the interior. Along with the added hp and the better handling its better than ordering the base Roadster for me. I can definitely see not having the infotainment hurting the resale value of the car!

Wow, I just realized today is the 10th anniversary for me on Lambo Power! Where has all the time gone? Apparently, a fair chunk of it had been spent here. This is, without the slightest of doubt, the best car forum on the net. I am amazed by the vast knowledge that the members possess here and even more so by their willingness to share the same. And by a huge majority, most members here are super cool people and not to mention the awesome rides, other toys and careers they have. I have the pleasure of meeting some members here and they are even more cool in real life! Thank you for a decade of pleasure! May the fun continues...

A few more pics.

I am somewhat surprised that they kept the trunk exactly as the rest of the series. Replacing it with something else or removing it altogether is bound to shave off a few lbs/kgs.

Trying to show the sparkle effect of the paint (look at the light reflection bright spots).

One minor correction: there is a pair of cargo net behind the seats for some storage space. :rolleyes:

1A.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Thanks! Lunch/dinner always sounds good especially when you are buying. :icon_mrgreen: But, seriously, though never say never, I have no plans on getting one anytime soon. I'll likely elaborate when I post my review on my roadster.

Forget about cars, we need to have that lunch and/or dinner again, I can not wait :icon_thumleft:

Get the whole crew back together, Daddyo I am talking about you, stop playing it cool :icon_mrgreen:

Wow, I just realized today is the 10th anniversary for me on Lambo Power! Where has all the time gone? Apparently, a fair chunk of it had been spent here. This is, without the slightest of doubt, the best car forum on the net. I am amazed by the vast knowledge that the members possess here and even more so by their willingness to share the same. And by a huge majority, most members here are super cool people and not to mention the awesome rides, other toys and careers they have. I have the pleasure of meeting some members here and they are even more cool in real life! Thank you for a decade of pleasure! May the fun continues...

You failed us, a rally should've been organized to commemorate this :icon_mrgreen:

Jokes aside I agree with every word you've said, if it wasn't for this place I wouldn't have the privilege to call you my friend, some great memories and friendships happened because of LP, great place and even greater people! Here to the next 10 :drunk:

You failed us, a rally should've been organized to commemorate this :icon_mrgreen:

Jokes aside I agree with every word you've said, if it wasn't for this place I wouldn't have the privilege to call you my friend, some great memories and friendships happened because of LP, great place and even greater people! Here to the next 10 :drunk:

Thank you very much for the very kind words. The privilege was mine and that applies to all the friends I had gained from here as well.

Also agreed that we should get the whole crew together again. Daddy just needs to be on the get-go. That dinner is a must!

Forget about cars, we need to have that lunch and/or dinner again, I can not wait :icon_thumleft:

Get the whole crew back together, Daddyo I am talking about you, stop playing it cool :icon_mrgreen:

Daddy is up to anything. I have some free time now for a few months

Daddy is up to anything. I have some free time now for a few months

Time to finish your new house Fortis and roll out the red carpet please.

Thanks for the enjoyable and well written writeup, VCR.

Your eloquence and flow is always a pleasure to read.

And congrats on your 10Y LP anniversary! :eusa_clap: