Buying this 04 Gallardo.Need your opinion

montana2265

He will not listen so just let him make his own mistakes that's how some people learn.

montana2265 go to the guy who is selling the 2006 inspect in person, test drive it, etc. if you like it ask the vendor what his absolute best price for the car is, when he tells you what that is offer him 5% less then tell him that a strict condition of your purchase is a PPI performed by a Lamborghini Authorised dealer or repairer.

If he agrees to the above ask him to take the car to the closest Lamborghini dealer for a fully comprehensive inspection, which you will obviously have to pay for yourself unless you are good enough during your negotiation process to convince him to pay for it.

Following that inspection you will receive a report which will tell you what's wrong with the car and what needs to be fixed, ask the Lamborghini dealer to give you a quotation for the repairs, after you receive the PPI and the quotation for the repairs it's time to renogatiate with the vendor, ask him to either pay for the repairs or give you a discount totalling the amount you were quoted so you could take the car back to the Lamborghini dealer yourself so they can perform the repairs.

If you buy it remember you are buying a used exotic car which will cost you an arm and a leg to service, maintain, insure and repair if things go wrong.

Good luck.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will not listen so just let him make his own mistakes that's how some people learn.

montana2265 go to the guy who is selling the 2006 inspect in person, test drive it, etc. if you like it ask the vendor what his absolute best price for the car is, when he tells you what that is offer him 5% less then tell him that a strict condition of your purchase is a PPI performed by a Lamborghini Authorised dealer or repairer.

If he agrees to the above ask him to take the car to the closest Lamborghini dealer for a fully comprehensive inspection, which you will obviously have to pay for yourself unless you are good enough during your negotiation process to convince him to pay for it.

Following that inspection you will receive a report which will tell you what's wrong with the car and what needs to be fixed, ask the Lamborghini dealer to give you a quotation for the repairs, after you receive the PPI and the quotation for the repairs it's time to renogatiate with the vendor, ask him to either pay for the repairs or give you a discount totalling the amount you were quoted so you could take the car back to the Lamborghini dealer yourself so they can perform the repairs.

If you buy it remember you are buying a used exotic car which will cost you an arm and a leg to service, maintain, insure and repair if things go wrong.

Good luck.

I would pay good money to see the look on his face if he was handed the PPI report:

console buttons are sticky

glove box latch needs to be replaced

small leak on front shocks

recommend all fluids be replaced

Total repair cost $17,500 :read: :shock: :gay:

:lol2:

just called the place they said they don't even know the clutch life and for the maintaince records said to get a carfax. will the carfax have maintaince records?

There's no way they'll have maintenance records. Carfax might have a few places the car was taken for maintenance and you can call those places and see if they have info. This car needs a PPI with a real Lambo tech who knows the cars inside and out.

just called the place they said they don't even know the clutch life and for the maintaince records said to get a carfax. will the carfax have maintaince records?

How far away is the nearest Lamborghini dealer from you?

Yup!!!!

You should absolutely buy the car.

I would suggest you offer 20% over asking, just to make really sure the dealer gives it to you....

Ok, I am done laughing at Ryan's posts, so I will chime in and be good cop. I am not going to tell you not to buy the car, hell, it could be a great car and you might have a truck load of money and just be frugal, so here you go.

Being an 06 car it has a host of improvements over the 04 car. Better clutch/shifting system, better user interface for the radio, more power and better drivability, et al. They took a ton of data from the 04-05 version of the car and made it just a better car all around.

Lets talk about this particular gem. What have they done to it. Well, they replaced the front bumper. That was a popular upgrade when the 560 came out. Lots of companies were knocking off 560 bumpers and lots of people were putting them on their pre 2009 model cars. Great upgrade. What I would make sure of is this...Did they add it because they wanted to, or because they had to. Has the car been in a front end collision? Do you have the knowledge to make sure it hasn't? If not, make it part of the PPI.

Painted the plenum covers. Nice look. Shows well under the optional glass bonnet. Of note, car has a glass bonnet, and that did promote getting some water in the coil packs. Have they been changed, are they in good shape, is the car firing correctly. All this would come out in the PPI, especially if you ask for it to be checked.

Illegal window tint has been applied. Do you want to be rolling in Chicago in a wheeled up Gallardo in yellow with another reason to get pulled over. Change that shit if you buy it. Also, as you have already noted, you want everyone to see you rolling deep, so get that shizzle off the windows.

Lets talk about the wheels. So this is a big point of contention. Lamborghini AWD systems are finicky to say the least. THey don't like aftermarket wheel and tire combinations. You have to be very careful with them. If you do not, and you apply the wrong outside rolling diameter, you can fry the front differential. Easy to spot when on a lift, make this a huge conidtion of the PPI. Also, tires are expensive as a mofo, make sure they aren't on the wear bars already. Lots of people dump older exotics when they are due for routine maintenance, or in a lot of cases, a round of rubber that is about to eat their lunch.

Are the brakes in good shape? 6 pot Brembos up front have a four puck brake pad on each side. I think the number is 1200 bucks a side for brakes. This car is older and has the miles, it might actually need them. THat could kick you in the baby maker if they are not done. How are the rotors? Are they worn and grooved? Is there cracking at the camfered edges of the cross drilled holes? Calipers are painted, is the paint falling off of them? They are black underneath and will look like shit if it starts flaking on you. Also, were they painted correctly? Who did that work?

The clutch.... It will cost around 8 grand to replace it, if it doesn't need anything else while you are in there. Make sure the E Gear is working properly and that all the associated parts are in good shape as well. E gear pump replacement would make baby Jesus cry. Also make sure all the fluids have been flushed. I don't over react to that stuff too much, but that car is more than past due if it hasn't had it. I mean all fluids too; brakes, oil, coolant, washer fluid, headlight bearing fluid, muffler coolant, all of it.

Now, lets talk about a couple of the cool things with this car. It has some cool options on it, options that I would like if I were to buy one (and of note, one of my favorite Gallardos of all time is a Verde Ithaca 2006 SE car). This car has glass bonnet, super cool option. The car has multi function color display, much better than the non. It has heated power seats as well, nice for your climate (this raises another issue, car has likely lived there most of its life, is it full of corrosion on the bottom?) The car also looks to have the small carbon fiber interior package. I don't remember if this was an option in 2006, so it might be aftermarket. That said, the closer I look at it, the more it looks like that hydro dipped sticker shit, make sure it is real carbon. Something to check and make sure it isn't cracked and falling off the door handles and the center console. It has the lifter, but is it working and is it not leaking oil from the shocks? Another thing to have on your list of stuff to check. Are the folding power mirrors still working correctly?

Something that kinda gives me hope, but not much, is that the car has all its stuff in the front boot. Inflator is there, tool kit is there (make sure it is complete). The 6 disk is there as well. If it were me, and I was dead set on buying this car, I would check all this stuff and make sure it was good to go. I would research and make yourself educated on the litany of other shit that I missed here. ALso, if you buy it, find a set of stock Cordelia wheels and put them on. Get rid of those wheels that are on it. If you buy it, good luck with it. It is truly a wonderful car, and a blast to drive. They sound amazing as well. Just make sure you aren't chasing a total money pit. I am sure there are Gallardos out there with a shit load of miles that have been maintained correctly and have no issues, this one is likely not one of those. Caveat emptor.

Ok, I am done laughing at Ryan's posts, so I will chime in and be good cop. I am not going to tell you not to buy the car, hell, it could be a great car and you might have a truck load of money and just be frugal, so here you go.

Being an 06 car it has a host of improvements over the 04 car. Better clutch/shifting system, better user interface for the radio, more power and better drivability, et al. They took a ton of data from the 04-05 version of the car and made it just a better car all around.

Lets talk about this particular gem. What have they done to it. Well, they replaced the front bumper. That was a popular upgrade when the 560 came out. Lots of companies were knocking off 560 bumpers and lots of people were putting them on their pre 2009 model cars. Great upgrade. What I would make sure of is this...Did they add it because they wanted to, or because they had to. Has the car been in a front end collision? Do you have the knowledge to make sure it hasn't? If not, make it part of the PPI.

Painted the plenum covers. Nice look. Shows well under the optional glass bonnet. Of note, car has a glass bonnet, and that did promote getting some water in the coil packs. Have they been changed, are they in good shape, is the car firing correctly. All this would come out in the PPI, especially if you ask for it to be checked.

Illegal window tint has been applied. Do you want to be rolling in Chicago in a wheeled up Gallardo in yellow with another reason to get pulled over. Change that shit if you buy it. Also, as you have already noted, you want everyone to see you rolling deep, so get that shizzle off the windows.

Lets talk about the wheels. So this is a big point of contention. Lamborghini AWD systems are finicky to say the least. THey don't like aftermarket wheel and tire combinations. You have to be very careful with them. If you do not, and you apply the wrong outside rolling diameter, you can fry the front differential. Easy to spot when on a lift, make this a huge conidtion of the PPI. Also, tires are expensive as a mofo, make sure they aren't on the wear bars already. Lots of people dump older exotics when they are due for routine maintenance, or in a lot of cases, a round of rubber that is about to eat their lunch.

Are the brakes in good shape? 6 pot Brembos up front have a four puck brake pad on each side. I think the number is 1200 bucks a side for brakes. This car is older and has the miles, it might actually need them. THat could kick you in the baby maker if they are not done. How are the rotors? Are they worn and grooved? Is there cracking at the camfered edges of the cross drilled holes? Calipers are painted, is the paint falling off of them? They are black underneath and will look like shit if it starts flaking on you. Also, were they painted correctly? Who did that work?

The clutch.... It will cost around 8 grand to replace it, if it doesn't need anything else while you are in there. Make sure the E Gear is working properly and that all the associated parts are in good shape as well. E gear pump replacement would make baby Jesus cry. Also make sure all the fluids have been flushed. I don't over react to that stuff too much, but that car is more than past due if it hasn't had it. I mean all fluids too; brakes, oil, coolant, washer fluid, headlight bearing fluid, muffler coolant, all of it.

Now, lets talk about a couple of the cool things with this car. It has some cool options on it, options that I would like if I were to buy one (and of note, one of my favorite Gallardos of all time is a Verde Ithaca 2006 SE car). This car has glass bonnet, super cool option. The car has multi function color display, much better than the non. It has heated power seats as well, nice for your climate (this raises another issue, car has likely lived there most of its life, is it full of corrosion on the bottom?) The car also looks to have the small carbon fiber interior package. I don't remember if this was an option in 2006, so it might be aftermarket. That said, the closer I look at it, the more it looks like that hydro dipped sticker shit, make sure it is real carbon. Something to check and make sure it isn't cracked and falling off the door handles and the center console. It has the lifter, but is it working and is it not leaking oil from the shocks? Another thing to have on your list of stuff to check. Are the folding power mirrors still working correctly?

Something that kinda gives me hope, but not much, is that the car has all its stuff in the front boot. Inflator is there, tool kit is there (make sure it is complete). The 6 disk is there as well. If it were me, and I was dead set on buying this car, I would check all this stuff and make sure it was good to go. I would research and make yourself educated on the litany of other shit that I missed here. ALso, if you buy it, find a set of stock Cordelia wheels and put them on. Get rid of those wheels that are on it. If you buy it, good luck with it. It is truly a wonderful car, and a blast to drive. They sound amazing as well. Just make sure you aren't chasing a total money pit. I am sure there are Gallardos out there with a shit load of miles that have been maintained correctly and have no issues, this one is likely not one of those. Caveat emptor.

Thanks for this advice.. Like i said the only reason i looked at this one was because it's local and close to me so i could see it in person. I have high hopes that everything is fine with this car but it may not be the case

Thanks for this advice.. Like i said the only reason i looked at this one was because it's local and close to me so i could see it in person. I have high hopes that everything is fine with this car but it may not be the case

Apply the same advice to any car you inspect. It could save you tons of money and time and headache. Good luck with the hunt.

Even if tires have tread remaining - check the manufacture dates (google it if you don't know how they are listed - it's the number of weeks into the year).

I would not drive any car on tires more 4 or 5 years old (depending on the tire). As they age they get hard and lose grip. They might have plenty of tread but be unsafe due to age. As stated above - tires are expensive so consider whether they'll need to be replaced.

The tires provide your ONLY contact to the pavement. It's one place to NEVER cut corners.

Go to Tire Rack or any site you like and learn about tire dates:

From TireRack.com:

Tires Manufactured Since 2000

Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.

If the number is 5107 it means:

51 = Manufactured during the 51st week of the year

07 = Manufactured during 2007

If you plan to drive the car year round - in cold temps - know that performance tires are not recommended for use below (usually) 45 degrees F. They lose grip in the cold due to the compound. That means it can be difficult to stop and the car may slide or not steer correctly - all resulting in increased chance for accident. You'd be smart to use winter tires if you'll drive it in cold temps.

I would pay good money to see the look on his face if he was handed the PPI report:

console buttons are sticky

glove box latch needs to be replaced

small leak on front shocks

recommend all fluids be replaced

Total repair cost $17,500 :read: :shock: :gay:

:lol2:

Looking at that car that would be a fair amount, if he has to do wheels, brakes and a service he would be looking at a 5 figure bill.

If the clutch needs to be replace, also replace the rear main seal. They tend to leak after a while and you might as well do it while the transmission is out.

got a call from the dealer saying i was approved

next he needs is

copy of driver's licence

signed social security card

tax return

3 months of bank statements

Also got a carfax and everything looks good

Dealer said he got the car at auction and no accidents/ clean title

I also got a carfax and everything looks good there as well

should i go ahead and send him the above 4 stuff? then i will know loan terms/interest rate etc

next he needs is

copy of driver's licence

tax return

Dealer said he got the car and did a PPI there (not with lambo tho) at auction and no accidents/ clean title

should i go ahead and send him the above 4 stuff? then i will know loan terms/interest rate etc

he said the loan is through statefarm i believe

Sounds like the dealer is your BFF as you believe in him more than anyone here. In that case, just follow the dealer's advice and let him walk you through and lead you into the Lambo-ownership experience then. :icon_thumleft:

not sure what the last 2 posts mean

but ill get my own ppi and idk what made you get the implication that im trusting the dealer at all. in fact i take everything he says with a grain of salt and will double check everything he says

also not sure why long term loans are mentioned. at most ill get a 60-72 month loan because this a used 06 and old. longer terms are only offered for newer vehicles.

next he needs is

copy of driver's licence

tax return

Dealer said he got the car at auction and no accidents/ clean title

Buy here pay here on a Gallardo? Damn the torpedos, straight ahead! :lol2: :lol2:

next he needs is

copy of driver's licence

tax return

Dealer said he got the car and did a PPI there (not with lambo tho) at auction and no accidents/ clean title

he said the loan is through statefarm i believe

Insist on another PPI performed by Lamborghini if it checks out get your credit cards ready :icon_thumleft: