This will be interesting ...

Allan-Herbie

If the work on this one was done right, for someone that’s priced out of the market and is looking for long term fun this could prove to be a good deal. Like anything just know what you’re getting into.

Out of curiosity, if one was to buy this, and do a full on nut and bolt restoration, could you get the salvage title reversed?

No not legally, however it has been done illegally and is referred to as Title washing.

This does not involve throwing your title in the washing machine and adding detergent to clean it.

Here's how it works. Several states have laws requiring titles of vehicles totaled in a accident (or other insurance claim) to be branded. Branding involves stamping the title with one of the following (or similar) words: Rebuilt - Salvage - Junk. The brand is placed on the title when the insurance company reports the total loss to the state and before it is sold as salvage.

Other states do not require branding of their vehicles following a total loss claim.

Buyers of these branded salvage cars are very aware of which states require branding and which ones do not. They buy the cars, rebuild them and then want to sell them back to the unsuspecting public without the brand.

To do this, they take the title (not the car) to another state and register the title there. Since that state doesn't brand the car, the brand is removed and nothing reflects the vehicle is a salvage rebuild.

With a "washed" title, they can sell the car for more than they could have had it been branded REBUILT.

One more important issue needs to be addressed - many states DO NOT regulate to any degree, if at all, salvage rebuilders. In many states anyone can buy salvage, rebuild it and sell it. Or, if a license is required to buy the salvage, there are no laws (or inspection) requiring the salvage be rebuilt using manufacturing standards of repair. The license is merely a tax, no credentials are needed to buy the license.

The laws in your state will not protect you. Until every state mandates title branding, requires certified rebuilding licenses and establishes rebuilding requirements (and inspections), you should be VERY wary before buying a used car.

There are several companies that offer vehicle history reports on cars. Use them! Any reputable (read that word again...REPUTABLE) car dealer will gladly provide you with contact information for a company that specializes in Vehicle History Reports. Note: If the person selling you the car answers, "duh" or "Ha ha ha, you don't need no stinkin' report. This car belonged to a little old lady who only drove it to church and to the ceramics shop," we suggest that you run, not walk, to a legitimate used car dealership.

called the number on the ad, talked to brian

said that a doctor in new york is hot and heavy for it.

he wont accept a deposit on it and says that the only way to know that its been damaged or salvaged is because he told us about it; there is no reason to do a ppi but feel free to fly in and take a look. stated that its one of the nicest quatrovalves in the state.

asking price is 240k with no negotiation

Wow, that's 2012 prices.

he said that the drivers side wheel flairs were all that was damaged and replaced over 20 years ago. for whatever reason at that time, they totalled it out and the current owner has had it for roughly 2 decades and purchased it at the time of repair

If the story on this car is true, sounds like it could be one of the best case scenarios of a salvage car. It looks very clean in the pics. What are people's thoughts? Is $240K a fair price in today's market? Really can't touch a turnkey Countach these days for around that amount.

Few things you can see on the car from the pictures. The vin plate in the door looks to have been removed or reattached, the rear emblems are incorrectly attached, steering wheel pad, incorrect shift knob, dash board is cracking, no toolkit, rear bumper holes not filled just capped etc. Its definitely a driver, the engine bay looks well used. Who knows.. Could be a great driver, could be a basket case.

It should have a salvage title just from that amp installation. The euro bumper conversion is poorly done, look at the rear taillights.

Considering some of the wrecks that are being rebuilt today, this car couldn't be that bad. Regardless, the salvage title will follow it for life.

Definitely not perfect, but I'm thinking that all of those things would be on the easier side to correct. (Except for the salvage title obviously.) I would think that anyone who buys this would be looking to use it as a driver and not so much for investment reasons. Probably when this car was repaired 20 years ago, originality and preservation wasn't on the top of the list.

In any case, it might have sold already. Looks like the seller has ended the auction early.

The salvage title for sure affects value but how much? it's supply/demand V cost/value. If this car did sell for 240 and it was a "good" one it's a bargain considering it's 100+ k below market even if you put 30 k into recon and service. One thing we know is values are not dropping.

In 2012 I wanted to buy two Countaches. One to drive, one to keep. My brother promptly talked me out of it saying you had them when they were new and cited every little reason why not to. I bought a 12 Galardo instead. Today I could choke him!

Based on repair costs minor damage would total any aged exotic.

Better to buy one like this if it is straight than some amateur restored basket case with a clean title based on cost and value. There are a lot of talented spray can detailers around and guys that can throw a nice looking quick paint job on a rat.

When I look at a freshly done car my question is always, what will it look like in a year? Unless a reputable restorer has done the work I'm always skeptical.

It should have a salvage title just from that amp installation.

Haha, best reason yet!

I would buy, in a heartbeat, a salvage titled Lamborghini that looks worst than that. Car looks fine. Unless burnt to a crisp or in a crusher, I could care less about the title. Most reasons a title is dirty is not a worthy reason. We have seen all types of cars with a shit title because of wheel rash or interior knifed, it down poured with the windows open or top down.....something that would dry up in a day in the sun.

Remember, the skeletal frame of a Countach is unbelievably strong.

Remember, the skeletal frame of a Countach is unbelievably strong.

Yes, very strong and without the traditional crumple zones that unibody cars have. Take a look at a wrecked tube frame Lambo and you won't believe how damage travels from the area of impact all the way to the other end of the car. To be honest, I would not want any rebuilt tube frame Lambo if it was anything other than panel damage.

Yes, very strong and without the traditional crumple zones that unibody cars have. Take a look at a wrecked tube frame Lambo and you won't believe how damage travels from the area of impact all the way to the other end of the car. To be honest, I would not want any rebuilt tube frame Lambo if it was anything other than panel damage.

In the 80's my shop repaired three wrecked Countaches. Yes, in a heavy impact deflection damage can exist throughout the structure. One of Lamborghini's requirements was to expose and magnaflux the frame welds. If you've seen these welds they were scary but I presume adequate and overall that structure is stiff and rigid.

post-20654-1455488237.jpg

post-20654-1455488246.jpg